• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SR 22 for CCW

I don't know if its a question of caliber choice, hey, a well placed 22 will put most anything down. And as several have said its better than nothing. Its the gun choice. Someone early on said it was a range toy and that's pretty much how Ruger markets it. And
you can find less bulky carry guns in. 22 if thats what you want to carry. But at the very least ld be having hundreds and maybe thousands of rounds through the SR22 to be sure of reliability on that .22 platform.

That actually a really good question. I tend to think of ME and bullet diameter as a large part of that equation. I am not sure if there is an "official" method that everyone follows, but I really like this chart as a reference:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

I would think, if there were such a value, it would be velocity and bullet weight since we are talking about the energy a bullet impacts with. For me, the difference between 9 and 40, it is not enough to convince me of more "knockdown power", especially when you look at +P loading in the 9mm. Penetration and temporary cavitation are more important then the size of the bullet, and you don't get much of either with a pistol.

I would still rather have the magazine capacity of the 9 then the "knockdown power" of the 40.

But I am probably full of crap, and read this on the internet.

I would think, if there were such a value, it would be velocity and bullet weight since we are talking about the energy a bullet impacts with. For me, the difference between 9 and 40, it is not enough to convince me of more "knockdown power", especially when you look at +P loading in the 9mm. Penetration and temporary cavitation are more important then the size of the bullet, and you don't get much of either with a pistol.

The point I was trying to make, before going off topic a bit, was that a 9mm was a much better choice for carry than a .22 because of (we will say Muzzel Energy). And I think we both agree on this. Debating 9mm vs .40 has been beat to death I am sure, and everyone already has their own opinions on this.

The point I was trying to make, before going off topic a bit, was that a 9mm was a much better choice for carry than a .22 because of (we will say Muzzel Energy). And I think we both agree on this. Debating 9mm vs .40 has been beat to death I am sure, and everyone already has their own opinions on this.

10-4

With a name like "Snubking" I'd hope you have more than a p22 [smile]. Otherwise I'd say you'll have a very short career in the adult entertainment industry [laugh].

Thats a good one. I am a fan of the snubnose, and I do have one.[grin] A snubnose pistol that is.

I just shot around 275 remington bulk ammo tonight. The only problom was it failed to pick up a round once (it was towrds the end, pistol was very dirty). Thats a total now of like 325 rounds. No jams of any kind. For some reason the trigger is much smoother in DA when shooting the gun vs dry fire. Im going to keep on shooting this. But I was hitting what ever I was aiming at very quickly. I LOVE this gun. I was shooting at a sand bank around 35 yards away and it was hitting POA like a champ. You could go squirl hunting with this thing.

95% of problems that would require a gun can be satisfied by just having one.

Choice of caliber makes up the last 5%.

95% of the time, you'll find a 22 in my pocket.[wink]

muzzle energy is only as good as the projectiles capability to transfer that energy into a target.
FMJ + Hihg ME = straight through shot. and unless it hits vital organ and causes immediate BP drop or disrupts CNS the round ME is wasted on over-penetration
HP + High ME on other hand is another story entirely.
Caliber is just one half of the 'stopping power' equation. another half is a type of projectile and it's physical properties and 'work' it capable of to accomplish significant tissue damage.

Just my 2cents
#1 accurate placement over impact power
#2 more lead down range quickly with a .22 will get the job done
#3 if you decide to not carry a .22 and need it, I bet you'll wish you had one
good luck in your decision

I feel like I am in bizarro world with all this serious talk about .22lr as a defensive caliber.

Wooooaaa, woooaa, hold up there big fella! Serious talk??? Serious? Who said anything about serious?

I do think this is a fun topic however. If you really want to start a party, login to any gun forum and post this:

"Who makes the best 22 ammo for personal defense?"

Make sure you have your asbestos helmet on [smile]

If I think I need a gun, it will be a 357 revolver.
If I know I need a gun, it will be a rifle.
If I don't think I need a gun, it will be a 22.

Only gang bangers carry .22, and thats because theyre too stupid to know any better.
I am not a gang banger, I am not stupid, and yes, I do know better.
A gun is a tool and you have to know how and when to use it.
Every time I slip a 22 mouse gun in my pocket I am reminded of this bear attack:
jetfire.jpg

Last edited:
A few weeks ago on the news. There was a kid that brought a .22 pistol to school. Im pretty sure they said it was a 10 shot. He killed three people plus him self with 10 shots. I know this example is in poor taste and for that I appoligize. But 4/10 seems like a pretty high bullet to kill ratio. Think about it.

I hope that kid gets life by the way.

It might have been as long as a couple of months ago. Im sure some one will rember seeing this on the news.

Wooooaaa, woooaa, hold up there big fella! Serious talk??? Serious? Who said anything about serious?

I do think this is a fun topic however. If you really want to start a party, login to any gun forum and post this:

"Who makes the best 22 ammo for personal defense?"

Make sure you have your asbestos helmet on [smile]

If I think I need a gun, it will be a 357 revolver.
If I know I need a gun, it will be a rifle.
If I don't think I need a gun, it will be a 22.

Do they make .22 hollowpoints?

Do they make .22 hollowpoints?
22-velocitor.jpg

22-stinger.jpg

22_LR_MINIMAG_HP_0031.jpg

I have been thinking about carrying my sr 22 as my edc gun. If it proves it self reliable with quality ammo. I know its a .22. There seems to be more up sides than down sides. Up sides are, light weight, fast shooting, very accurate. I mean what other gun could you pull out and hit a target the size of a marble repeatedly, with speed.

I can see down sides as being, possible reliabilty probloms, and the fact that its a low power cartridge.

So what do you guys think?

Here's the video you are looking for:
[video=youtube_share;U2PSddmxGtI]http://youtu.be/U2PSddmxGtI[/video]

I can see down sides as being, possible reliabilty probloms, and the fact that its a low power cartridge.

So what do you guys think?

So, l'll be honest. You start the thread (6 pages ago ) listing the down sides and asking people's opinions but then spend the next 6 pages telling people their wrong???

I'm not bashing the sr22 or .22lr they both have there purpose.

If .22lr is what you can shoot the most accurately, than carry it.

Me, I have .22 pistols and they go for rides to the range for fun.

IMHO the "rounds down range" argument doesn't hold water. A .22 does not shoot (cycle ) any faster than another semiautomatic firearm, it is just a false sense of "speed" due to lack of noise and muzzle rise. These two issues are easily overcome with practice, practice, practice

There are many many people here that will put you ( and me ) to shame with far larger calibers in terms of speed and accuracy, and there is only one way to obtain that

A few weeks ago on the news. There was a kid that brought a .22 pistol to school. Im pretty sure they said it was a 10 shot. He killed three people plus him self with 10 shots. I know this example is in poor taste and for that I appoligize. But 4/10 seems like a pretty high bullet to kill ratio. Think about it.

I hope that kid gets life by the way.

It might have been as long as a couple of months ago. Im sure some one will rember seeing this on the news.

I think you may be confusing "killing potential" with "stopping potential." A .22 can certainly kill you in the long run, but I'm not sure it will immediately incapacitate a determined attacker or cause him to cease his attack.

Something to keep in mind.

i can see the sr22 for a carry piece for the elderly, frail, or someone with arthritis or other disabilities in the hands/wrists because of the low recoil. as we all age differently we will need to adapt our carry weapons. i would prefer a having a 22 that i can handle than say my p345 that i may not be able to. i am not yet at that advanced age yet but as i get older i have given this some serious thinking as i wish to be able to protect myself and family as long as i can do so safely.

bob

So, l'll be honest. You start the thread (6 pages ago ) listing the down sides and asking people's opinions but then spend the next 6 pages telling people their wrong???

I'm not bashing the sr22 or .22lr they both have there purpose.

If .22lr is what you can shoot the most accurately, than carry it.

Me, I have .22 pistols and they go for rides to the range for fun.

IMHO the "rounds down range" argument doesn't hold water. A .22 does not shoot (cycle ) any faster than another semiautomatic firearm, it is just a false sense of "speed" due to lack of noise and muzzle rise. These two issues are easily overcome with practice, practice, practice

There are many many people here that will put you ( and me ) to shame with far larger calibers in terms of speed and accuracy, and there is only one way to obtain that

I dont recall telling anybody they were wrong. I did start a thread asking what people thought. I wanted to know what others thought on the matter. I dont forfit my opinion because of it. I would like to participate in the discussion, if you dont mind.

Last edited:

This +1

So far I have yet to read a decent arguement for a .22 CCW.

Back
Top Bottom