• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SR 22 for CCW

I have been thinking about carrying my sr 22 as my edc gun. If it proves it self reliable with quality ammo. I know its a .22. There seems to be more up sides than down sides. Up sides are, light weight, fast shooting, very accurate. I mean what other gun could you pull out and hit a target the size of a marble repeatedly, with speed.

I can see down sides as being, possible reliabilty probloms, and the fact that its a low power cartridge.

So what do you guys think?

It's a 22.

I think a better choice would be a LCP or LC9 (I carry a LC9). Keep in mind that all the ballistic data published for .22 rounds are measured from a 16 or 20 inch barrel. Those rounds fired from a small (3 inch) semi-auto pistol will have even less stopping power. It does not matter if you hit your target 10 times if the rounds do not even penetrate his leather jacket.

Never in a million years if I have a choice of something else. They're not bad guns, but bear in mind it's marketed as a range toy.

-Mike

i will out myself here......i carried a p22 when it was the only handgun i owned. yes, i felt a little silly because it was only a .22, and yes, i felt more secure knowing it was better than nothing. i have since upgraded my carry choice......

It's a 22.

I think a better choice would be a LCP or LC9 (I carry a LC9). Keep in mind that all the ballistic data published for .22 rounds are measured from a 16 or 20 inch barrel. Those rounds fired from a small (3 inch) semi-auto pistol will have even less stopping power. It does not matter if you hit your target 10 times if the rounds do not even penetrate his leather jacket.

I think its fair to say it would penetrate a leather jacket.

I have other guns I can carry. Just so every body knows.
[grin]

some might not know that .22 is round of choice for some hit-man. due to ease of suppression and sufficient power to penetrate the scull at 3-5 yard range.
however bullet once in the scull does not have sufficient terminal velocity to exit and instead bounces inside until all velocity is lost. makes for very clean hit. and when bullet is recovered there is no ballistics expertise out there that could match it to a particular gun. being without a jacket led slug turns into mangled mess.
just FYI

If you try to self defense against bears attack, you will need to CCW SR 22.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

some might not know that .22 is round of choice for some hit-man. due to ease of suppression and sufficient power to penetrate the scull at 3-5 yard range.
however bullet once in the scull does not have sufficient terminal velocity to exit and instead bounces inside until all velocity is lost. makes for very clean hit. and when bullet is recovered there is no ballistics expertise out there that could match it to a particular gun. being without a jacket led slug turns into mangled mess.
just FYI

Hence my reference to the mob.

what is an average handgun self-defense engagement distance? does anyone know?
IMHO .22 handgun will be plenty deadly when shots are placed into vital head area?

one with .22 would must be pretty calm SOB to pull it off.

but as other said .22 is better than knife or nothing.

what is an average handgun self-defense engagement distance? does anyone know?
IMHO .22 handgun will be plenty deadly when shots are placed into vital head area?

one with .22 would must be pretty calm SOB to pull it off.

but as other said .22 is better than knife or nothing.

A head shot under the stress of needing you CCW would be a pretty hard shot to make I figure.

I'd rather not limit myself to .22lr when there are so many options available with more powerful rounds in a similar package.

According to the FBI you need to get into almost the 300ft/lb range to provide adequate stopping power. .22 provides about 100 ft/lbs.

I'd rather not limit myself to .22lr when there are so many options available with more powerful rounds in a similar package.

The weight and the ergos are not really similar to other centerfire pistols im aware of. Accuracy and speed with a .22 is outstanding. Plus the grip just feels great, so slim and narrow.

The weight and the ergos are not really similar to other centerfire pistols im aware of. Accuracy and speed with a .22 is outstanding. Plus the grip just feels great, so slim and narrow.

Keep in mind that many departments are moving to .40 over the 9mm because the 9mm lacks the stopping power. And you are talking about a round 1/3 the power of the 9.

Keep in mind that many departments are moving to .40 over the 9mm because the 9mm lacks the stopping power. And you are talking about a round 1/3 the power of the 9.

Im not a LEO. They are much higher risk for an armed conforntation than me. Also, correct me if im wrong but I think a main reason that they are switch from 9mm to 40 is not so much stopping power as it is penetrating glass, metal, and other hard barriers.

17.5 ounces empty, plenty of pistols with a similar weight give or take a few ounces. Ergos will vary user to user, pistol to pistol.

It sounds like you came here more for reassurance rather than trying to be talked out of it.

All in all, if you're comfortable with it then go for it. But I can't say I would.

edmorseiii:2377727 said:

This sounds like gun shop salesman crap.

That's because it is. If it were true, they would generally choose 45ACP instead of a gayer round like a 40. Propaganda is a helluva thing.

That's because it is. If it were true, they would generally choose 45ACP instead of a gayer round like a 40. Propaganda is a helluva thing.

Yeap, truth be told all 3 preform about the same. I will take the extra 2 in the magazine.

You are right, the .40 does not have more stopping power than the 9mm. What was I thinking.

Personally I am not a big fan of the 40, but it does offer more stopping power than the 9, and offers more capacity than the 45. Perfect for LEOs.

You are right, the .40 does not have more stopping power than the 9mm. What was I thinking.

Personally I am not a big fan of the 40, but it does offer more stopping power than the 9, and offers more capacity than the 45. Perfect for LEOs.

How does one come up with this "stopping power" value?

I just see speed and accuracy as a huge factor in a ccw. After thinking about it. Im a little suprised more people dont do it. I think if the sr 22 proves to be a rock solid design, it will catch on. Up untill now no manufacturer has been able to make a light weight, reliable, and accurate .22 semi. One or the other ya, but all three, not that i'v seen.

Plus now we have reliable ammo with the cci line.

Last edited:
I just see speed and accuracy as a huge factor in a ccw. After thinking about it. Im a little suprised more people dont do it. I think if the sr 22 proves to be a rock solid design, it will catch on. Up untill now no manufacturer has been able to make a light weight, reliable, and accurate .22 semi. One or the other ya, but all three, not that i'v seen.

Plus now we have reliable ammo with the cci line.

If you want speed and accuracy, but a good 9mm pistol, a bunch of ammo, and train with it. I would not carry a .22 a pistol for self defense, it just doesn't have the ass behind it.

Back
Top Bottom