squirrel hunting in westford?

Got a tree rat problem?

I use a low velocity pellet gun out my bathroom window. Set some birdseed down and pick em off. No noise since I shoot from well inside the house.

If you can get enough, sew the pelts together and send it off to PETA. Say you found this in the ocean and wanted to know if this was a Sea Kitten.

Last edited:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Gray Squirrel:
Zones 1 - 9: Sep. 4 - Jan. 2

Zones 10 -14: Oct. 7 - Jan. 2

Gray Squirrel -Rifles and handguns permitted in Zones - 9; prohibited in Zones 10 - 14. Hunting Hours, see WMA Reg. # 0 (page 26). No person shall hunt by any means other than shotgun or bow and arrow during the pheasant and quail season on areas stocked with pheasant or quail (see WMA Reg. #9, page 26).

The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck.

Just a word of Caution there is a season in Mass for squirrel .You need a hunting license . You need a hunter safety course to get license. You will need a FID or LTC to buy firearms or ammo for said firearms. Or you could just shoot em and keep it to yourself and not tell anyone on a public forum .

I wont tell i promise .

in Westford you need written permission of land owner to discharge a firearm.
you need a 2009 hunting license and a hunter safety course or an old license to get a new one. Gray squirrels are not in season until September. there is an open season on red squirrels and chipmunks.

in Westford you need written permission of land owner to discharge a firearm.
you need a 2009 hunting license and a hunter safety course or an old license to get a new one. Gray squirrels are not in season until September. there is an open season on red squirrels and chipmunks.

I see by the way you i.d. your location that you might have intimate knowledge of such things![laugh]
lord1234, set up a stand and get a rabbit call (Govt mod) and pop somr coyotes! You can do it till March 7.[smile]

need a hunter safety course for that too I expect....

The best place to start with any questions about what you can shoot and when is the abstracts.

Generally speaking, in Mass (and many other states) , if you want to shoot a critter, you will need a license. In order to get a license, you will need a safety course. If you think you MAY want to shoot something at any time in the future, now is the time to get into a course. They fill up fast, and are generally over and done with long before hunting seasons start as the volunteer instructors want to be out hunting. Do it now if you want to hunt in the fall.

Oh yes, pay pay pay!!!
After you get a hunting/sporting lic. Never loose it! It's your proof you took the course next time.

If you lose your cert, you can call the office in Westminster and they will send you a duplicate for free.

Also, if you buy your license online, it has a permanent record of your eligibility.

Hunter Ed is free.
OK, but is he available?[laugh][thinking]

If you lose your cert, you can call the office in Westminster and they will send you a duplicate for free.

Also, if you buy your license online, it has a permanent record of your eligibility.
OK, I got nothin' funny here either.

Good info though guys!

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Gray Squirrel:
Zones 1 - 9: Sep. 4 - Jan. 2

Zones 10 -14: Oct. 7 - Jan. 2

Gray Squirrel -Rifles and handguns permitted in Zones - 9; prohibited in Zones 10 - 14. Hunting Hours, see WMA Reg. # 0 (page 26). No person shall hunt by any means other than shotgun or bow and arrow during the pheasant and quail season on areas stocked with pheasant or quail (see WMA Reg. #9, page 26).

The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck.

I emailed Mass Wildlife to see if airguns would be allowed as an accepted method for small game(squirrel, rabbit, woodchuck, etc,), even in a shotgun restricted zone. The reply was that airguns are allowed in all zones. You still need the hunting license and need to follow the Abstracts as far as open dates and bag limits.

Hunter Ed is free.

Ironmaidenedhunter.jpg

Oh Hunter ED.....not Ed Hunter

Yes just make some sense of this if you're feeling squirrely.... You need 3 hours of a pistol safety course to get your LTC and potentially legally put a round in a human... You need 15 hours of a hunter's education course if you decide you'd like to hit a squirrel by the way of a pellet gun. Make sense of that please and please let me know a sensible reason behind it.. Thanks

Too bad your so far away. Been wanting to try squirrel. I've read it is good eating (I am serious)

I used to hunt them 30-35 years ago and, as I recall, they weren't bad eating (I'm serious too). Dare I say it... they tasted like chicken [smile].

You want to be sure they're country squirrels though, you don't want to be eating city squirrels.

I have a friend with 6 acres behind his house in westford...figured we could plink at some treerats..

I should know this, but given I'm sick as a dog with the creeping crud, I apologize in advance for the potential mis-information.

At 6 acres, your friend should be able to put the property into agricultural status. Have him/her show an (approx) $2300/year profit on the sale of any agricultural product -- say acorns, as an example.

Once done, you should then be able to plink squirrel year round as nuisance pests destroying your agricultural livelihood.

-ed

PS: I may be confusing MA with ME, but nevertheless, worth a consideration...

PPS: If this works, keep your shots low. I understand KM frequents those Westford woods...

I've taken a bunch of squirells this year, and at the risk of sounding like a red neck, I eat every one, they are tasty! I've roasted them ,deep fried with bacon, and made brunswick stew. I've caught 3 red squirrels and 2 grays. The grays are bigger, the reds are smaller though easier to get. The grays run a lot on the ground, the reds freeze motionless on tree branches hoping you don't see them.

I usually shoot them with my high powered precompressed air rifle,Evanix hunting master AR6. It shoots a 30 grain pellet at 1200 FPS, six round magazine..

Back
Top Bottom