• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spying on forum members thought on fixing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have the freedom of speach on the Internet just as you would if you sent a email or letter to the chief disagreeing with him on something he said. If he does not like it, it does not give him the right to turn you down for a permit. He is a public official and open to criticism

While we would like to see that be the case, unfortunately CURRENT MASS LAW permits it.

You have the freedom to say what you want, but you also need to accept the responsibilities of the words you choose to use and the manner in which you display them.

Just because someone doesnt haev the right to beat the living piss out of you, does not mean he's going to not do so when you insult his wife...

My question is how do the "Licensing Authorities" even know who you are? How do they know that my user name "Dziner" is registered to me (Johnny Fontaine of Dracut). How do they make the connection? I could be Mario Puzo for all they know my user name gives no info?

My question is how do the "Licensing Authorities" even know who you are? How do they know that my user name "Dziner" is registered to me (Johnny Fontaine of Dracut). How do they make the connection? I could be Mario Puzo for all they know my user name gives no info?

They google your user name or email address and learn your name and what city you live in. Then contact that local chief and they see who has a permit with them.

The following reply is in the super secret mode. Only select few can read it and it contains some of my greatest commentary. Here we go.

In closing, it might just work. Thank you for your time.

Carry on.

They google your user name or email address and learn your name and what city you live in. Then contact that local chief and they see who has a permit with them.

Perhaps you shouldn't mention your town or your name on the internet when you post. Someone may have the right to say something, but it doesn't mean that other people can't look at what they say and think "d**n, this guy is an idiot."

Really? How does an email address give them someones name? Is there an email phonebook that the gove has access to? Youi dont even need to give your name to establish a webmail account how do you expect them to link a name to someones webmail?

Really? How does an email address give them someones name? Is there an email phonebook that the gove has access to? Youi dont even need to give your name to establish a webmail account how do you expect them to link a name to someones webmail?

It's pretty easy.

A lot of time people use the same email to sign up for other forums and at somepoint you have your name and city in a forum. I know someone it happened to with a chief that did it that way.

So... I googled "Dziner" (myself) which was not as enjoyable as it sounds unfortunately and found out that there are a lot of people out there in say Harrisburg, PA that enjoy the play on Dziner being code for Designer... alas, I could not find my identity via that method. So I googled my email address which has been posted here before and yet again cannot figure out who I am... I can however tell that someone with the same email is trying to sell a car on some website called Northeastshooters.com whatever that may be... somebodies obsession with breasts of the northeast i was presume?

You have the freedom of speach on the Internet just as you would if you sent a email or letter to the chief disagreeing with him on something he said. If he does not like it, it does not give him the right to turn you down for a permit. He is a public official and open to criticism

First off, as others have said, it is impossible to stop anyone from saving what is on a computer screen. Ctl-prtscrn is built into every computer with windows.

Secondly, the problem is the COP who is using the stuff online to do this, BUT THE STATE GIVES HIM THAT RIGHT !

Fair or not, he has the right. If you don't like it you need to work actively to change the laws.

Griping here about it not being 'fair' and we need to fix computers so it can't be done, will not help a bit.

. . . (Quite frankly, if you don't want it to be read by anyone, then don't post it). makes me laugh what is the 1st amendment for then?

People seem to think that since the internet is relatively new (compared to vocal cords at least) that it needs or "should have" some special protection.

What prevents you from dropping off the application at the PD and then stand in the PD lobby, telling visitors in a loud voice that you have applied for an LTC, and your first gun is gonna be an M1911 and your going to go to Tacticool training and buy a vest, etc. Then bitch about the delay you are experiencing.

I mean, it is JUST FREE SPEECH, right? Nothing electronic involved. Just you, standing in a lobby talking about your interests and viewpoints. Go ahead and try it and report back here. We'll wait.

Now, if you would like to discuss whether an LTC should be Shall Issue vs. May Issue, that is a whole other matter and has nothing to do with the free speech that you and I and us are enjoying right now electronically on NES.

My PD asks for your email address so they can notify you when the license is ready. But even if they didn't get it directly from me, take a look at some of the threads around here where members have been wronged and what the membership as a whole has been able to dig up based on just a username. It's really not that difficult. For example, is this you? 747841.jpg I won't post the other info I was able to find here, but lets just say it took me about 10 seconds to find out your name and the town you live in.

So... I googled "Dziner" (myself) which was not as enjoyable as it sounds unfortunately and found out that there are a lot of people out there in say Harrisburg, PA that enjoy the play on Dziner being code for Designer... alas, I could not find my identity via that method. So I googled my email address which has been posted here before and yet again cannot figure out who I am... I can however tell that someone with the same email is trying to sell a car on some website called Northeastshooters.com whatever that may be... somebodies obsession with breasts of the northeast i was presume?

If you leave info on forums and talk on here a lot you search post for personal info read over your post if your on a lot of forums you tend to talk a lot. You don't think there are some chief out there that don't somone they can pay to sit in front of a computer and try and track your location?

As I am not all that familiar with the techniques of law enforcement, please enlighten me. I am rather curious as to how they can do so and justify the work involved for somethign that isn't a criminal investigation.

I've done it myself when I've needed to get in contact with a poster, without any special access to anything other than a web browser. You'd be surprised at how much information people leave about themselves all over the internet.

There is no First Amendment issue here at all. You don't have a right to post here, you have permission to post here. Once you do, what you say is pretty much an open book, so keep that in mind when you are posting things that you might not want read by others.

I've done it myself when I've needed to get in contact with a poster, without any special access to anything other than a web browser. You'd be surprised at how much information people leave about themselves all over the internet.

BCEagleAce is one good example of that [smile]

Hey henchmen speaking from personal experience. If you think its questionable, or don't want strangers reading it. DONT POST IT. Simple[wink]

You want to fix that google your user names on forums see what comes up. Google email address see what comes up then change it and make sure its not listed as public on the forums. Just changing your email on forums sometimes keeps you from coming up on a google check when they enter your old email.

I can see your concern henchmen77... I just think perhaps using a bit of "online safety precautions" like never giving your name to strangers for all the world to see along with your address and a body description I would assume you should be in the clear. Now. People I have talked to directly on this site may know my name... but I would bet that you don't and I would find you rather talented if you could produce my name via your google searches. in summation... excercise caution and you should have no worries. It sucks if your COP did this to you or someone you know, but that is Massachusetts and "WE" yes we allow the COP to act in this manner because we have not passed any laws stating the contrary. So, until someone passes this law you cannot fault the COP for doing a little research into who he is issuing licenses to... Honestly if I were in his position I may be inclined to do the same, unless I am told by law that it is not right! best of luck to you.

You want to fix that google your user names on forums see what comes up. Google email address see what comes up then change it and make sure its not listed as public on the forums. Just changing your email on forums sometimes keeps you from coming up on a google check when they enter your old email.

Except for the fact that websites are archived at a few different locations.

My PD asks for your email address so they can notify you when the license is ready. But even if they didn't get it directly from me, take a look at some of the threads around here where members have been wronged and what the membership as a whole has been able to dig up based on just a username. It's really not that difficult. For example, is this you? View attachment 8070 I won't post the other info I was able to find here, but lets just say it took me about 10 seconds to find out your name and the town you live in.

touche... lol.

Ok, so it's pretty easy to do. Regardless, the OPs original post isn't possible to do. I dont say anythign that I might regret on the forum.

I can see your concern henchmen77... I just think perhaps using a bit of "online safety precautions" like never giving your name to strangers for all the world to see along with your address and a body description I would assume you should be in the clear. Now. People I have talked to directly on this site may know my name... but I would bet that you don't and I would find you rather talented if you could produce my name via your google searches. in summation... excercise caution and you should have no worries. It sucks if your COP did this to you or someone you know, but that is Massachusetts and "WE" yes we allow the COP to act in this manner because we have not passed any laws stating the contrary. So, until someone passes this law you cannot fault the COP for doing a little research into who he is issuing licenses to... Honestly if I were in his position I may be inclined to do the same, unless I am told by law that it is not right! best of luck to you.

Here is your phone # XXX-XXX-XXXX if I wanted to know your name I would just contact you about the apartment you have listed under a different email and play I am interested in the apartment and get your name and I know your in lowel area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is your phone # if I wanted to know your name I would just contact you about the apartment you have listed under a different email and play I am interested in the apartment and get your name and I know your in lowel area.
Or google the number. It's listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom