• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory Range Office jamming

So it's worked flawlessly until now, last two time out it's failed to feed constantly and even if it feeds the trigger is locked as if the safety is engaged! Thoughts? I've cleaned it thoroughly but with no improvement.

Ammo hasn't changed from stuff I've use in the past but I haven't cleaned the mags lately. You think that would do it?

So it's worked flawlessly until now, last two time out it's failed to feed constantly and even if it feeds the trigger is locked as if the safety is engaged! Thoughts? I've cleaned it thoroughly but with no improvement.

When it fails to feed what does it do? Does a round go nose up or down? Or does the slide not go all the way forward? So it strips a round from the mag and the slide appears to close, but the trigger is locked out? Sounds like slide isn't going all the way into battery. Is there any chance the recoil spring is in backwards? Otherwise could be a dirty chamber.

Ammo hasn't changed from stuff I've use in the past but I haven't cleaned the mags lately. You think that would do it?

Mags can get dirty inside but usually a mag-related problem has to do with weak/worn springs or the follower or feed-lips being somehow out-of-spec.

Sounds like slide isn't going all the way into battery.
even if it feeds the trigger is locked as if the safety is engaged! Thoughts? I've cleaned it thoroughly but with no improvement.

What thinking the same thing.
9 or .45?
Steel cased ammo?

I'm leaning towards chamber garbage.
Pull the barrel out. Plop a round in there, see where it sits. Also see if theres a bunch or carbon or lead/ copper buildup towards the throat.
If it cycles fine without a round in it, that eliminates a lot as well.

step one is to clean,.. step two is to identify if anything has changed recently,. step three is to clearly identify the fail,..

Flat nose, hp or round nose ammo and is it jacketed or coated ? How is the finish on the ramped barrel ?

So many questions...

- does it replicate the same problem with snap caps? (Dead trigger)
- have you tried different ammo?
- have you tried ultrasonic cleaning the parts or only manual?
- any chance you forgot to replace a small spring or did not reassemble the trigger group properly after cleaning?
- are you the original owner?
- how many total rounds through it? Maybe worn springs in need of replacement?
- does slide return to battery fully after picking up a round? Have you tapped the back of the slide to seat it home? Maybe a bent extractor getting in the way of feeding?

Springfield is great about fixing issues like this, give them a call. My RO had a gritty trigger not the nice crisp feel that it should. I called them and they sent me a fedex label to ship it back and they got it back to me in about a week or so. The trigger feels fantastic now!

When it jams it fails to fully seat the bullet in the chamber, the nose of the jacketed round nose bullet is stuck halfway up the loader ramp. I cleaned it and got the ramp gleaming, took it out the nest day and same thing, almost! This time when it jammed it may have seated the bullet but now the trigger is locked as though the safety is engaged. I'm thinking I'm just going to trust Springfield to fix it. I'm the original owner and I'm not a gun smith, I know enough to clean and maintain but I feel like there could be more than one problem here or it's causing more than one problem.
Thanks for all the reply's you guys are great about providing feedback and offering suggestions about ways to fix issues.
Thanks again. I'll post when I get it back from Springfield what the issue was.
Grog

I might be misinterpreting your issue but make sure you’re not putting your thumb below the safety. Can (accidentally) partially engage the safety just a tad under recoil and cause problems.

When it jams it fails to fully seat the bullet in the chamber, the nose of the jacketed round nose bullet is stuck halfway up the loader ramp. I cleaned it and got the ramp gleaming, took it out the nest day and same thing, almost! This time when it jammed it may have seated the bullet but now the trigger is locked as though the safety is engaged. I'm thinking I'm just going to trust Springfield to fix it. I'm the original owner and I'm not a gun smith, I know enough to clean and maintain but I feel like there could be more than one problem here or it's causing more than one problem.
Thanks for all the reply's you guys are great about providing feedback and offering suggestions about ways to fix issues.
Thanks again. I'll post when I get it back from Springfield what the issue was.
Grog

Check your ammo. I just went thru this using brown box PPU range ammo. The stuff sucked and wouldn't feed for shit. Beware of it.

Just went thru this with a new Rock Island which are usually good but do require a few rounds. Took it out first 50 rounds of factory PPU ammo, FTF every mag, more than it should have been.

I ended up putting an 18.5# recoil spring in ( helps with recoil and frame battering anyway) and polished the shit out of the feed ramp, and frame area.
Took it back out, with reloads and some federal, not a problem. Cleaned it as part of the break in.

Took it back out again, used the last box of 50 PPU ammo again....FTF every mag. Wondered WTF was happening.

Cleaned it again....ran 150 mixed mags of reloads, hollowpoints, and federal thru it without a hiccup.....

Make sure your running good mags too...like Wilsons or Sig mags, or Ruger mags are pretty good at keeping the rounds aimed in the right direction. Act mags are good too but not as good as the others. I don't know much about the Springfield mags but likely they are fine.

Mags are all from Springfield Armory, all factory, no off brands. I used to carry this gun in the summer despite the weight and bulk of it I liked the fact that it was SO reliable, now I carry my Sig short barrel which is fine but I'd rather have the 5" barrel and a couple extra rounds!

Check your ammo. I just went thru this using brown box PPU range ammo. The stuff sucked and wouldn't feed for shit. Beware of it.

Just went thru this with a new Rock Island which are usually good but do require a few rounds. Took it out first 50 rounds of factory PPU ammo, FTF every mag, more than it should have been.

I ended up putting an 18.5# recoil spring in ( helps with recoil and frame battering anyway) and polished the shit out of the feed ramp, and frame area.
Took it back out, with reloads and some federal, not a problem. Cleaned it as part of the break in.

Took it back out again, used the last box of 50 PPU ammo again....FTF every mag. Wondered WTF was happening.

Cleaned it again....ran 150 mixed mags of reloads, hollowpoints, and federal thru it without a hiccup.....

Make sure your running good mags too...like Wilsons or Sig mags, or Ruger mags are pretty good at keeping the rounds aimed in the right direction. Act mags are good too but not as good as the others. I don't know much about the Springfield mags but likely they are fine.
I found out early on with my RIA that their stock mags suck , bought a few Wilson Combat mags for it and has ran flawless since

Springfield's initial email response was to fully clean and oil it good other than the slide they did mention a spot I don't typically oil, I'm going to do that tonight and take it out to the range tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Oh and I'm going to clean all the mags tonight too though I really don't think that's what it is.
Grog

No, they're not conceding anything. They're suggesting that maybe I haven't properly cleaned and maintained (lubed) it properly. A very distinct possibility seeing as I also own a Glock that you typically run dry, very little lube, so if the SA requires more lubrication and I haven't been using it then it's my error not the firearm. As I said I'm going to do what they suggested tonight and post the result tomorrow.
Grog

@grog In my experience 1911’s love to run wet and they do need regular cleaning, it’s not a Glock/AK type that will just keep working.

You can usually tell if your mags need cleaning when you’re loading them. But if you’re dropping them in sand, mud or loose dirt during mag changes at the range I’d clean or at least inspect them after each trip.

Thanks! That makes good sense, I don't typically drop the mags but they still take blow back and get crusty, I guess I need to pay more attention to them. I think, before I even go to the range and see tomorrow, that I may have failed to give the gun enough lube. I tend to be selective with the amount of oil I put on things as it can/does cause dirt to build up or surfaces too. If 1911 need to be more fully lubed then I'll be a convert after tomorrow!!
Grog

Just a few thoughts to add:
Do a quick check of extractor tension. With the gun field stripped place a round against the breech face by sliding it up under the extractor, as it would do so during firing. The extractor should hold the round snugly in place but a vigorous shake of the slide should let the round fall free. If it doesn’t the extractor is too tight. You may have a lot of buildup of residue/grime in and around the extractor claw if you’ve never properly cleaned that gun.
While it’s field stripped take a good look at the top of the barrel just ahead of the chamber. That is the locking lug area that locks into the upper inside of the slide when the gun fully returns to battery. An ill-fitted barrel from the factory can result in this area of the barrel being peened and damaged, causing failure to fully return to battery. I don’t think that’s your issue but it’s worth looking at.

If you were closer than across the state I’d offer to help in person. ;)

Loading a single round in the mag, firing, and watching for ejection can test an extractor,.... It removes mag issues from the equation and allows you to check extraction and ejection.

Springfield's initial email response was to fully clean and oil it good other than the slide they did mention a spot I don't typically oil, I'm going to do that tonight and take it out to the range tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Oh and I'm going to clean all the mags tonight too though I really don't think that's what it is.
Grog
Where's this special G spot they recommend lubing?

Thanks to all you guys for your suggestions. Turns out SA was correct it is user error not their engineering! I always clean it good but I wasn't giving it enough oil afterwards. I oiled it up solidly and took it to the range, demolished my targets with no jams, FTF's nothing but silky smooth operation. Thanks for all the feedback, Cams, you are correct, 1911's run better wet and 45collector thanks. I checked out the extractor claw held a round nicely, I did apply some solvent just in case but it looked clean.
Thanks again.
Grog

If your not getting sprayed with oil when shooting your 1911 it’s too dry... glad it’s solved.

Back
Top Bottom