Springfield Armory photos

I spent a couple hours wandering around Springfield Armory the other day.
Here's a few photos of things that I found interesting.
alliedweapons-vi.jpg

harpersferryguns-vi.jpg

pedersendevice-vi.jpg

trenchdevices-vi.jpg

Operating Hours & Seasons

Open - Labor Day through Memorial Day, Tuesday to Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Memorial Day through Labor Day, Tuesday to Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Springfield Armory is closed for the following holidays: New Years Day; Thanksgiving Day; and Christmas Day.

Dirtypacman said:
I would love to take a tour - thanks for sharing!
Main museum is self-guided.
There are scheduled tours of the storage area on the second floor.
from the website:
2nd Floor Firearms Storage Room Tours

Tours of the 2nd Floor Firearms Storage Room, where two-thirds or nearly 5,600 firearms of the collection are stored, has been lengthened to 1 1/2 hours and scheduled for 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm on Fridays or Saturdays (see schedule below). These guided tours, beginning with an orientation, include detailed historical presentations on various topics such as the development of Springfield Armory military firearms from the late 18th Century to the closing of the Armory in 1968. Please inform us of any special historical interests at the time that you schedule your tour or at the time of your arrival. $12 per person.

Tour schedule for Individual Visitors Friday Saturday

June 9,23 June 3,17 July 7,21 July 1,15 August 11,25 August 11,25 September 8,22 September 2,26

Please call: availability is limited, we would be happy to reserve a date for you today (413)734-8551

see this link for more info: http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

Last edited:
We talked about it before, but we need someone nearby to the Museum to organize a date for an NES "group tour". They will (I am told) do that on other dates if organized in advance. Might be possible to even get a discounted group rate on the 2nd Floor tour price?

I still have a lead on a small bus that a limo company I do body work for would rent for a good price. Getting a good number of people together would make it cheap for everyone and I figured on a pick up in say Taunton and one half way to the Armory say around Worcester maybe?

Springfield Armory

It is an outstanding tour. We made prior arrangements to tour the second floor. I don't think they allow photos upstairs but what a trip!!! I walked past racks of unissued M-14's and M-1 Carbines..........Too bad it is look but don't touch................[thinking] [crying]

Im in for this tour if we want to put some tentative dates together or make a phone call to see how many peeps are required for a private tour

Think of the cleaning time and expense. They must control the environment
very closely to avoid any number of environmental issues between the wood
and the metal. Thanks for the pics. I'm afraid of going there as I might be
thrown out due to uncontrollable drooling! [smile]

TBP

I spoke with the owner of the limo company today and told him I was looking into renting a bus for a trip to the Armory on a Saturday or Sunday and about the 2 pickups. He said theyre normally $75 an hour, I could get it for $50 an hour and they hold up to 21 people. If we get enough people to go its still cheaper than the gas it would take you to go there and back. I figure it at about $25 a person with tip included and using about 7 hours, less money if we have it for a shorter time.
I was also talking to one of the drivers and asked if any of them were gun nuts. He said there were a few that were ex military and may want to go. I suggested maybe getting the driver in with us and including that as part of his tip. Sounded good to him.

Again you give me a date and I would love to go.
Limo fine but I can also get there on my own if need be.

tele_mark said:
OMG! I wanna go!

All those guns -- how do they keep track of them all? You think they frisk you while you're leaving if you're walking a little stiff-legged?

There's a metal detector at the door.
How lucky do YOU feel?[smile]

Back
Top Bottom