Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16

I have been wanting an M1A for a while, and originally I was leaning towards the standard/loaded standard models. But now I am hung up on the SOCOM 16. Reading around I found a slew of reviews, the only complaints were related to the shortened barrel and gas system. It was near impossible to tell if these folks were just taking a shot in the dark or if this was based on actual experience.

So before I take the plung any words of advice, either pro or con?

Nice gun.

But it is LOUD. It's one of those guns you go "DAYUM!" whenever someone
shoots it, especially if you don't know its coming. That little brake and the
short barrel make it especially fiesty.

It barks way louder than it bites though. The recoil is minimal, at least on
the one I fired.

-Mike

Check the accuaracy on them too. I read an article a while back that showed they were not very accurate. This may well have been the first version though. I think they have a SOCOM II out now.

I think they have a SOCOM II out now.
The SOCOM II and SOCOM 16 are different rifles. Personally I could live without all the rails on the II, but thanks for the heads up on the accuracy issue.

After thinking about it, I retake what you said to mean that they fixed the issues in the SOCOM II which is a new version of the SOCOM 16, but my thing about the rails stands. :)

Last edited:
I had one, great rifle, loud bark, no bite.. shot great, functioned great and accurate enough for what it is. I would recommend one

I don't know if the issues were fixed or not. They may well be! Try one first.

Supermoto hit the nail on the head either way. It is really designed as a CQB weapong, not a long range shooter. The testing I saw was saying 2" - 4" groups at 100yds. But I'll qualify that by saying this was one of the 1st itterations of the SOCOM platform, and NOT what may available now.

I have a SOCOM 16, and I love it. For one, it looks cool and no one else at the range has one. It is super loud, that is for sure, and if you are standing to the side of it, you can feel major air movement coming off of it. But, if you are shooting it, sound and kick are minimal, the brake works very well. I am not a great shot, so I can't speak on accuracy, but I hit what I aim at at 100 yards, I'm sure with good ammo and a good shooter it can do much better.

BTW, the SOCOM 16 and SOCOM II are the same rifle. Don't let the $400 rail fool you, they are exactly the same. You can send a SOCOM 16 to Springfield and have them put the rail on, and now you have a SOCOM II (I called). But the rail is heavy as hell, so I will not be doing that. I like mine the way it is, it is nice and short, as accurate as I am, and has a nasty bark. Love it.

This is a medium range weapon, for CQB and quick longer shots, but not for super long range shooting. I'd say the accuracy is WELL within 4" groups for sure, even when I am using it (I shoot at stationary clays at 100 yards, 1 shot each, and I'm not very good). This "iterations" or "new version" is BS, it is all the same rifle. The early models had a problem with the front sight falling off, but that is all. SOCOM 16 and SOCOM II are the same, except for the rail which is removable (and the engraved name on the side of the rifle).

I have never had a problem with mine, and I didn't clean it for about 400 rounds or more. It has fed everything I gave it, and hits things with authority whenever I use it. Always goes bang, always chambers next round.

Back
Top Bottom