• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory M1 Garand

I did two Appleseeds at Harvard Sportsman's Club a few years back. I think the first one I did - was the first one they had there. I did one the next year and brought my AR. That year Fred was there and gave one of his "talks".

I've been slacking the last few years - too many other things to do.

I was there, both times.

First time there, I was the Shoot Boss. I was on the left side with GMB74, Crak and Ripersnifle were on the right. IIRC, Dwarven1 shot his Rifleman score there, late Sunday.

The time Fred was there, Crak was. That time, Crak had the KD line, Fred had a short line, Dave was next to him, and I had another short line.

Was anyone making new M-14s for the military in Afghan and Iraq or were those arsenal refurbs pulled from storage? I know they came from storage at first, but heard a rumor maybe they began being made new again for the military?

Some were arsenal refurbs, some were straight from armories. We had to turn in our Honor Guard rifles, the Adjutant General had M1A's bought, they were post ban (no recoil lugs, had to wire the blank adapters). She said the M16 just wasn't loud enough for funeral firing squads.

I highly recommend that you check the Cape Ann Sportsmans Club for their next scheduled CMP/DCM sanctioned rifle clinics. I went when I first got a Garand and used one of theirs to get a feel for how a good one should feel and function. Brought my new CMP garand, Norm checked it out A-OK and then stayed awhile shooting mine.

They have a class followed by a learning shooting match. Very nice club and great people.

A CMP M1 Garand is a piece of history.
Semi-Auto with 8 round enbloc clip that played a big part in winning WW2. Everyone that's shot mine loved the feel and the sight picture. Get the 30-06. Recoil is not that bad and can use the pad if necessary.
Reloaders probably make there own spongebob loads.

Now the Russian WW2 M44, that's a different story, kicks like a damn mule and leaves bruises to prove it.

I can tell you that the better route is the 30-06. The days of cheap surplus 308 ammo are long over. Most western militaries use 5.56 battle rifles, not 7.62.

If you want to reload, but aren't sure what to use, ask, and here's actually a good place to do so.

I load for 30-06, and all 30-06 I make is Garand safe. That's saying I use the right powder, neither too fast or too slow.

I was there, both times.

First time there, I was the Shoot Boss. I was on the left side with GMB74, Crak and Ripersnifle were on the right. IIRC, Dwarven1 shot his Rifleman score there, late Sunday.

The time Fred was there, Crak was. That time, Crak had the KD line, Fred had a short line, Dave was next to him, and I had another short line.
I was at that Appleseed too, I remember Dwarven1 getting his hat. It was really miserable weather both days but well worth it. It was great to hear Fred talk.

When Fred was up, Dwarven1 was in Throop NY. I ought to know, it was my idea.

Little did I know it was a depressing event there (Throop) for them. If I had, I would have gone myself.

Dwarven1 got his hat the year before.

Back
Top Bottom