• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory M1 Garand

Laura

NES Member
I really like the look of this gun and have for some time so I'm considering buying it online. I assume that's legal because it's a bolt action, but I don't know much about the gun itself. I'm thinking of getting the .308 which may be less recoil than the 30-06 - I'm assuming that the weight of the gun will go a low way to reducing felt recoil. Am I right on that? Does anyone own this gun and tell me about the advantages and what it's like to shoot? Thank you.

Laura

I really like the look of this gun and have for some time so I'm considering buying it online. I assume that's legal because it's a bolt action, but I don't know much about the gun itself. I'm thinking of getting the .308 which may be less recoil than the 30-06 - I'm assuming that the weight of the gun will go a low way to reducing felt recoil. Am I right on that? Does anyone own this gun and tell me about the advantages and what it's like to shoot? Thank you.

Laura

Laura the M1 garand is a semi auto and yes you can purchase on line as long as you have a MA FFL willing to accept delivery and the seller will ship to MA.

If you really want a M1 garand research and look into the CMP.
It is the absolute best way and best price on a great rifle.

If the rifle is a Springfield armory Inc M1 you be better served buying from the cmp vs the commercial variety.

If your unsure of the M1 and it's recoil there are many CMP shoots at local clubs that have rifle and ammo available for use. Cost is,usually based on ammo only.
it might be a drive for you but Hanson Rod and Gun in Hanson Ma has cmp intro to M1/service rifle shooting 1st Sat 8am and 3rd Sunday every month. Holidays and hurricanes is,about all,that cancels these shoots.
It's 35$ for 60 rounds and needed targets and your choice of club rifles.
If it's your first time ever shooting M1/service rifle they will have you shoot from the bench. It is not a "match" and about the only rules applied is range safety. It's just a shoot to get new shooters familiar with the M1 and the cmp/nra service rifle format.

PM me if you need more info.

Last edited:
Laura the M1 garand is a semi auto and yes you can purchase on line as long as you have a MA FFL willing to accept delivery and the seller will ship to MA.

If the rifle is a Springfield armory Inc M1 you be better served buying from the cmp vs the commercial variety.

If your unsure of the M1 and it's recoil there are many CMP shoots at local clubs that have rifle and ammo available for use. Cost is,usually based on ammo only.
it might be a drive for you but Hanson Rod and Gun in Hanson Ma has cmp intro to M1/service rifle shooting 1st 8am and 3rd Sunday every month. Holidays and hurricanes is,about all,that cancels these shoots.
If it's your first time ever shooting M1/service rifle they will have you shoot from the bench. It is not a "match" and about the only rules applied is range safety.

^^^THIS^^^

You will need to go through an FFL unless you use CMP. I'd recommend the 30-06 because that's the classic caliber. The gun is not a bolt action.

What's "CMP?" Thanks for the info. Lately I've bought two CZs rifles online and I have a great shop that does the transfer. I'm working on my rifle collection now that I pretty much have the handguns that I enjoy. I appreciate the feedback, gentlemen, thank you.

https://thecmp.org/

The Civilian Marksmanship Program. Read and learn then ask folks here as many questions as you like :)

(you really should get your C&R (Curios and Relics) FFL license...C&R legible guns (rule of thumb is typically 50 years old or over) will be shipped direct to you and no third party FFL transfer is required...but we can talk about that later)

Last edited:
Are you thinking of a Springfield 1903?
M1903-Springfield-Rifle.jpg

Springfield M1
M1_Garand_rifle_-_USA_-_30-06_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

I,will add you really shouldnt feel any noticeable difference in recoil between the 30-06 or 308 in the M1.

M2 cal 30 ammo vs 7.62 M80 will be around 17lbs of free energy. Proper shooting position and the right cloths will go a long way to lessen received recoil. The number one reducer in what you receive as heavy recoil can be reduced with good or doubled up ear protection. I will use ear plugs and muffs over when I know I'm shooting more than 60 rounds.

More CMP info here.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/7678-CMP-Process

Last edited:

Laura

it might be a drive for you but Hanson Rod and Gun in Hanson Ma has cmp intro to M1/service rifle shooting 1st 8am and 3rd Sunday every month. Holidays and hurricanes is,about all,that cancels these shoots.
If it's your first time ever shooting M1/service rifle they will have you shoot from the bench. It is not a "match" and about the only rules applied is range safety.

Very beautiful pictures! I'm not overly concerned about recoil because the gun is a good weight. I'm more interested in getting a solid rifle to have a blast with. :) Thank you again for the info.

Laura

I am not familiar with the Springfield Armory M1 Garand, but I do have an actual M1 Garand from the CMP.

A quick look at the Springfield Armory site shows their M1A series which is a descendent of the M1 Garand.

The M1 Garand is a gas operated semiautomatic rifle with an internal 8 round magazine.
The M1A is the descendent of the M1 with a removable magazine.

The Springfield Armory rifles that I saw were M1A pattern models with modern stocks.

Originally the M1 Garand was chambered in 30-06 Springfield (7.62x63mm). Some were later modified or chambered in .308 NATO (7.62x51mm) which is very similar to the .308 Winchester. They are considered interchangeable in practice (308 NATO and 308 Winchester, not 30-06. 308 and 30-06 are clearly not interchangeable).

To answer your questions as best as I can...

1) Neither the M1 Garand or the M1A are bolt action. Both are gas operated semiautomatic.

2) I don't think there is going to be much difference in recoil between the 30-06 and the 308 version. The 30-06 has a little more energy in it but not by that much. There are many things that go into perceived recoil. The M1 Garand weighs about 10 pounds or so. The Springfield Armory M1A weighs about 9 pounds. My guess is that the Springfield M1A in 308 will feel about like an M1 Garand in 30-06.

3) The design of the M1, M1A, and eventually the M14 tends to soften the perceived recoil. Between the mass of the gun, the mass of the bolt, etc. the recoil is more of a shove than a sharp punch. That said, this is a 30-06 or 308, not .223. There will be recoil.

4) If we are talking about an older Springfield Armory M1 Garand... meaning that it is really an M1 Garand, then it isn't magazine fed. This brings up some peculiarities of the M1 Garand.

The M1 Garand is fed with clips. Eight rounds go into a clip, the clip goes into the rifle and stays there until it is empty. When empty the clip is ejected and goes "ping". The clips can be a little tricky to load. Loading less than 8 is even more tricky.

The M1 was a battle rifle. There were no provisions for easily unloading it. There is a procedure that will clear a partial clip, but it isn't quite like ejecting a magazine and cycling the bolt (well it is close, but you have to pull the bolt back first, then eject the clip and since you have less than 8 rounds in the clip they tend to not stay in the clip as it pops out of the rifle).

You will have to learn the correct way to load it or risk "M1 thumb". What happens is that once the clip reaches the bottom of the magazine, the bolt releases and tries to load the first round into the chamber. If you don't have control of the bolt, then it tries to stuff your thumb into the chamber. Not fun.

All that said, I love the M1 Garand. It shoots great, the recoil isn't bad at all, it is well balanced, and I always have people wanting to see it and shoot it.

Jack, what company made your Garand?

Mine is Harrington and Richardson... except for the bolt which is a Springfield. Based on the serial number mine was made between 1954 and 1956. The barrel has a date code of 1955 which makes sense.

I can go stand where it was made 60 years ago, but the people at Walgreens might look at me funny (Corner of Chandler and Park Ave in Worcester).

Laura

Not sure if you're going to feel much less recoil out of a .308 (7.62x51 actually) - than you will out of 30.06 . I've got Garands in both .308 and 30.06 - and can't say I've ever really noticed much of a difference in the recoil. If you're worried about recoil there are things like shock absorber pads you can get to put on the end of the buttstock to lessen the kick.

If it was me - I'd figure out whether you want .308 or 30.06 and base the decision on ammunition availability and cost. A few years ago 30.06 was pretty easy to get - and cheaper than .308 - if you got it from the CMP. They had a warehouse full of millions of rounds of Greek ammo and the cost was not too bad.

I think .308 is cheaper than 30.06 now - and it's likely to stay that way since nobody really makes 30.06 in quantity any more - and there are far more milsurp type rifles that take .308 (7.62x51) - than take 30.06.

Garands are definitely legal to own in MA - I own several as do a whole bunch of other people here. As others said : it will need to get transferred to you thru an FFL - so they'd ship it to that FFL and you would pick it from them. I have used Four Seasons in Woburn to do this a number of times - it's pretty straightforward. There is another place in Woburn who has advertised decent prices on transfer cots - unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment.

I'd say the Garand is probably the winner for rifle with the most amount of information available on the internet. There is a HUGE amount of info available, some good info right here on NES, if you really want to dig into minutia - join the CMP forums, there are people there who know literally EVERYTHING about Garands.

Have you shot rifles with iron sights before? If that is something you're not used to - or prefer red dots or scopes - don't worry, there are ways to mount scopes or red dots on a Garand. Some peopel would say blasphemy - but if that makes the rifle "work" for you then go for it.

Another piece of clarification since the OP mentioned "Springfield Armory".

The "original" Garands - which were produced during WW2 - were made by multiple manufacturers. Springfield Armory (the 'original' one) was one of the primary manufacturers of military rifles for the US government. Along with Winchester during WW2 and then Harrington Richardson and International Harvester during the Korean War era.

The "original" Springfield Armory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory

There is "modern" firearms manufacturing company called Springfield Armory also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory,_Inc.

They have made their own Garand M1 rifles - based on original blueprints. I believe they may have only made them in .308. (no 30.06). I've also read reports that - at least in some phases of their manufacturing - they used surplus parts sourced out of foreign countries. (Beretta actually made Garands in Italy for a while after WW2). I've read varying reports of the quality of Springfield Armory INC - rifles.

I've read reports (as a for instance) - that the receivers on at least some of the Springfield Armory INC rifles - were not forged. And people have had problems with them (cracks - etc)

Springfield Armory INC - also makes what they call the M1A - which is based on the M14 military rifle (not the same thing as a Garand). I don't think the Springfield Armory INC "Garand" rifles are currently in production.

There were 6 million odd Garands manufactured during WW2 and the Korean War. There are numerous places that can use ORIGINAL military parts along with high quality new production parts - to give you a rifle that is as good or better as the day it rolled off the assembly lines during the war. They can build them in either 30.06 or .308 (it's pretty much just a barrel change)

As a for-instance - the CMP sells their "Special" grade rifles in 30.06 or .308 . These are original military rifles that have been rebuilt with new barrels, new stocks - and all parts have been refinished by certified armorers - and tested out. I've got a number of CMP rifles (never got a Special grade though) - and they've all been quality.

A friend of mine just sold one of the "Special" grade rifles he had bought a few years back - to another friend of mine. They both agreed that the rifle was very nicely done.

Special grade - $1030:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/#Special

Other places like Fulton Armory - and Schuff's Parkerizing both do very nice Garand work in my experience:

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/m1-garand/

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Fulton Armory is pricey though...............

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the Springfield Armory M1 Garand, but I do have an actual M1 Garand from the CMP.

A quick look at the Springfield Armory site shows their M1A series which is a descendent of the M1 Garand.

The M1 Garand is a gas operated semiautomatic rifle with an internal 8 round magazine.
The M1A is the descendent of the M1 with a removable magazine.

The Springfield Armory rifles that I saw were M1A pattern models with modern stocks.

Originally the M1 Garand was chambered in 30-06 Springfield (7.62x63mm). Some were later modified or chambered in .308 NATO (7.62x51mm) which is very similar to the .308 Winchester. They are considered interchangeable in practice (308 NATO and 308 Winchester, not 30-06. 308 and 30-06 are clearly not interchangeable).

To answer your questions as best as I can...

1) Neither the M1 Garand or the M1A are bolt action. Both are gas operated semiautomatic.

2) I don't think there is going to be much difference in recoil between the 30-06 and the 308 version. The 30-06 has a little more energy in it but not by that much. There are many things that go into perceived recoil. The M1 Garand weighs about 10 pounds or so. The Springfield Armory M1A weighs about 9 pounds. My guess is that the Springfield M1A in 308 will feel about like an M1 Garand in 30-06.

3) The design of the M1, M1A, and eventually the M14 tends to soften the perceived recoil. Between the mass of the gun, the mass of the bolt, etc. the recoil is more of a shove than a sharp punch. That said, this is a 30-06 or 308, not .223. There will be recoil.

4) If we are talking about an older Springfield Armory M1 Garand... meaning that it is really an M1 Garand, then it isn't magazine fed. This brings up some peculiarities of the M1 Garand.

The M1 Garand is fed with clips. Eight rounds go into a clip, the clip goes into the rifle and stays there until it is empty. When empty the clip is ejected and goes "ping". The clips can be a little tricky to load. Loading less than 8 is even more tricky.

The M1 was a battle rifle. There were no provisions for easily unloading it. There is a procedure that will clear a partial clip, but it isn't quite like ejecting a magazine and cycling the bolt (well it is close, but you have to pull the bolt back first, then eject the clip and since you have less than 8 rounds in the clip they tend to not stay in the clip as it pops out of the rifle).

You will have to learn the correct way to load it or risk "M1 thumb". What happens is that once the clip reaches the bottom of the magazine, the bolt releases and tries to load the first round into the chamber. If you don't have control of the bolt, then it tries to stuff your thumb into the chamber. Not fun.

All that said, I love the M1 Garand. It shoots great, the recoil isn't bad at all, it is well balanced, and I always have people wanting to see it and shoot it.

The Springfield Armory INC "M1A" - is derived from the M14.

The "Garand" was given the military designation of M1

The nomenclature gets confusing.

Last edited:
(chanting under my breath)

CMP,
CMP,
CMP,
CMP...

Also, if you buy a Garand through the CMP, they ship direct to you, no FFL.

Better double check on that - not sure they still do it in MA.

The last time I bought a rifle from CMP , they did ship direct to my house. Which was very cool (just getting handed a rifle from the FedEx guy at my door that is) - but they may have changed that.

Plus, every time you buy from the CMP, an angel gets its wings. Or something like that.

Better double check on that - not sure they still do it in MA.

The last time I bought a rifle from CMP , they did ship direct to my house. Which was very cool (just getting handed a rifle from the FedEx guy at my door that is) - but they may have changed that.

Yes they do still do it here

Have you shot rifles with iron sights before? If that is something you're not used to - or prefer red dots or scopes - don't worry, there are ways to mount scopes or red dots on a Garand. Some peopel would say blasphemy - but if that makes the rifle "work" for you then go for it.

My CZs have iron sights and I like them very much so I'd probably stick with those until it proved to be not working for me. Thank you for all the information. This has been very helpful. :)

Yes they do still do it here

Ok - good to know.

Then that's one more reason to send your business to the CMP.

- - - Updated - - -

My CZs have iron sights and I like them very much so I'd probably stick with those until it proved to be not working for me. Thank you for all the information. This has been very helpful. :)

The iron sights on the Garand and the M14/M1A - are among the best ever put on a military rifle. If you're good with iron sights you should be good with them.

Happy shooting Laura, whatever you choose.

Another Garand info tidbit: It's usually advisable to stick with milsurp ammo or new manufacture ammo made to mil specs.

There is ammo available in both .308 and 30.06 that does not meet the specs for shooting in the Garand. The chamber pressure of some of these rounds - typically intended for hunting - that will overpressure the Garand and potentially break it.

Not sure if anyones mentioned this, but you shouldn't shoot commercial ammo out of a Garand. It must be 30-06 specifically loaded for the Garand or risk damaging the op rod. As such, they can become a tad expensive to feed

Not sure if anyones mentioned this, but you shouldn't shoot commercial ammo out of a Garand. It must be 30-06 specifically loaded for the Garand or risk damaging the op rod. As such, they can become a tad expensive to feed

You can shoot *some* commercial ammo.

Hornady, Federal, and PMC all make ammo to spec that can be shot out of the Garand (or M1A).

You just need to pay attention to what you're buying.

The Springfield Armory INC "M1A" - is derived from the M14.

The "Garand" was given the military designation of M1

The nomenclature gets confusing.

That it does...

I thought the M1 Garand (8 round internal magazine) came first, then they made the M1A (Garand with a removable magazine), then came the M14 (M1A with full auto).

I did some more rummaging and it looks like I was wrong. The M1 Garand beget the M14. Somewhere in the middle there was the M1 Carbine of which the M1A is a variant. Although they look similar they are quite different. I would say the M1A is a cousin to the M1 where the M14 is the descendant.

The M1A fit a need that the M1 didn't (smaller, lighter, magazine fed, select fire in the M2 variant) but many of the features of the M1A ended up in the M14 later.

Back
Top Bottom