Spotting scope deal

PatMcD

NES Member
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/2060x80mmangledspottingscope.cfm

If anybody has been looking for a decent spotting scope but wasn't looking to spend a ton of money, this is a fantastic deal.
A shooting buddy of mine bought one of these and had it at a recent match, set up, side-by-side with his Kowa 821. We couldn't see any significant difference between the two.
I ordered one last Sunday and got it Wednesday (free shipping). I see it's gone up a few dollars since then (I paid $110, now $121).
I have been using the older generation of this scope for 10+ years and it has served me well. I paid $300 back then. I ordered this one because it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks for the tip and feedback

I just ordered 2 of them and the total with shipping was $242...

One will go on a donated scope stand that we loan out to new shooters and the other will go on my shelf for whenever a new shooter needs to buy one.

Thanks Pat. I just ordered one. I've been looking for one for a while, and I trust your recommendation. That's a great deal. +1

Thanks for the heads up!
*Remember to use code: "AHOY" to get the free upgrade from Economy to FedEx Ground.

Any suggestions on a nice tripod?

Thanks for the heads up!
*Remember to use code: "AHOY" to get the free upgrade from Economy to FedEx Ground.

Any suggestions on a nice tripod?
I have had a few nice tripods....heavy duty like surveyors use.....they suck for shooting. Get a pole stand and head. I happen to have the creedmore and it suites my needs. There are others though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UflycSs96Ko
The scopes with the rotating band are a plus also.

The spotting scope in the OP is out of stock now, but I saw that they had the same brand in a 22-68 x 90mm model for $120.01, so I bought one. I hope that wasn't a mistake. I still had some questions when I made the purchase because the listings for the two scopes didn't match up exactly, but I figured for that price it would be hard to go wrong (83% off a $700 scope and free shipping) but I could always return it if I wanted to.

I know virtually nothing about all this, so I hope someone lets me know if there's anything I should be checking on when I get it in two days.

The spotting scope in the OP is out of stock now, but I saw that they had the same brand in a 22-68 x 90mm model for $120.01, so I bought one. I hope that wasn't a mistake. I still had some questions when I made the purchase because the listings for the two scopes didn't match up exactly, but I figured for that price it would be hard to go wrong (83% off a $700 scope and free shipping) but I could always return it if I wanted to.

I know virtually nothing about all this, so I hope someone lets me know if there's anything I should be checking on when I get it in two days.

Kingfisher (name?)
If you don't like the 90mm model and can return it you are welcome to the 2nd scope I stated that I ordered in post #2 of this thread.
I knew it was too good a deal to last long and only ordered it so I would be able to pass it on to a new shooter one day that would need it.

Just say the word and it's yours.
George

Edited to add;
This scope looks like a good value as well http://www.hayneedle.com/product/celestronultima651855x65mmangled.cfm

My primary scope is a 80mm Kowa 821M with 27x fixed eyepiece but my backup scope is a Celestron 60mm with variable power eyepiece. The eye relief is not as good as my Kowa but the glass isn't far behind in quality on bright days.

Last edited:
Mine shipped today. It says it will be here by Wednesday! Thanks again Pat.

Kingfisher (name?)
If you don't like the 90mm model and can return it you are welcome to the 2nd scope I stated that I ordered in post #2 of this thread.
I knew it was too good a deal to last long and only ordered it so I would be able to pass it on to a new shooter one day that would need it.

Just say the word and it's yours.
George

Thank you, George. Reputation points inbound.

That's the one I ended up with. It's 22 inches long and weighs 5 lbs.

I haven't been able to find a tripod that I think would be suitable, but whatever I get needs to be really sturdy to hold such a big scope. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

That's a big scope to be carting around if you're going to do across the course. If you're only shooting at 200yds, it's not bad. You'll especially need a sturdy scope stand. Here's a link to some of the more popular ones (with, of course, the comparison of how the Ray-Vin stand is superior!):

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/shc/headcompare.htm

Here's a link to where it's for sale:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Ray-Vin-Stand/

Of course it's $300 and it's backordered! But a good stand is definitely a worthwhile investment. If we cross paths at a match in Reading, I'll let you try mine out assuming we're not shooting on the same relay.

I ordered this one too - arriving tomorrow. If the glass is decent, and it sounds like it is, it's a good price. Anything to replace my POS barska.

Mine was delivered today. It's really nice quality. It came with a padded camo cover, which I didn't realize when I ordered it. I'm thinking about getting the camera adapter for it. They offer them for Digital SLR, iPhones etc. Does anyone have experience with the adapters?

As a tip keep an eye out on used Meade telescopes on CL. The 70 mm ones can be had for under a 100. Meade has fabulous optics.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

The FedEx man delivered mine today, so I just had to go to the range to try it out, and I am very impressed with it. Very nice scope for the price - crystal clear optics - no problems at all seeing the bullet holes on a 200yd target.

I feel bad for the guys that missed this deal - you would be hard pressed to find a scope this nice at the price.

I ordered this one too - arriving tomorrow. If the glass is decent, and it sounds like it is, it's a good price. Anything to replace my POS barska.

This showed up yesterday. The 22-68x90 seems well made and the glass seems nice, but it's pretty big - the site says 22" long. Not a problem for taking it from the car to the shooting line though. I'm liking the bag/cover that it comes with too.

Thanks for the tip and feedback

I just ordered 2 of them and the total with shipping was $242...

One will go on a donated scope stand that we loan out to new shooters and the other will go on my shelf for whenever a new shooter needs to buy one.

I have had a few inquiries to the scopes I purchased to help new shooters.
I guess I should have clarified that I meant new people getting into NRA / CMP Rifle Competition.
http://www.6mmbr.com/highpowerbasics.html

At any rate;
I passed them on to Duane at Reading Rifle for his Junior Highpower program so they are gone.

Sorry for any confusion
George

Last edited:
I have to say, those were very nice quality! What a great price, and I know Duane will put them to very good use!

Btw, how did you do at the regional today George? I wish I could be at the EIC match tomorrow!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

I have to say, those were very nice quality! What a great price, and I know Duane will put them to very good use!

Btw, how did you do at the regional today George? I wish I could be at the EIC match tomorrow!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Today was the 4rd time shooting ctc since last October .
Bad day for me today that just kept getting worse.
Only had 3 out of the black in offhand... Too bad it was a 6, a 7 and an 8..... lol

I should be at the LEG tomorrow for fun.
I certainly shouldn't be able o shoot any worse than I did today.

Weather was great, Match was ran great and a great bunch of people!

Back
Top Bottom