• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spent casing leaving marks during extraction?

Okay I asked this question on GlockTalk but have not gotten an answer.

After shooting my Glock 23 the last few time I have noticed a brass colored scrape on the extraction port and along the chamber part of the barrel right near the serial number area. There have been no failures at all and the gun is operating fine but these marks seem to me like they are caused by the spent casings.

Has anyone seen this before?

It's normal, if it bothers you it can be fixed by reshaping the ejector so it ejects the casings out of the port. Firming up your grip can also change ejection so it doesn't hit the port. The brass won't damage the finish, it's too soft so no worries.

Thanks, I am pretty new to autoloaders and have not seen this happen yet, so your comments are appreciated.

It's normal, if it bothers you it can be fixed by reshaping the ejector so it ejects the casings out of the port. Firming up your grip can also change ejection so it doesn't hit the port. The brass won't damage the finish, it's too soft so no worries.

And I have the inverse question - my brass gets dented, so the mouth of the case looks slightly "D" shaped instead of round. I assume it's due to hitting the port on the way out.

Does anyone else have dented brass?

Of course. All normal. The brass can be reshaped when you prep it for reloading.
Between sizing the case mouth and belling it to seat the bullet it is pretty amazing how badly a case can be crushed and still resurrected.

Back
Top Bottom