Source for water barrels in New England?

My home's water is supplied by a well, so if I lose power I have no well pump, and thus no water.

I'll be installing a Generac next year but for the time being I need to store water in my basement in case I lose power for an extended time.

Anyone know of a source for 55 gal. water barrels, preferably in NH or at least in New England? They must be suitable for potable water as well.

I'm looking for 4-6 of these.

Thanks.

I believe there was someone on here who said they sell them at the Londonderry Flea Market.. I think they were $10 a piece...but I don't know.

Another possibility is possibly looking into a hand crank for your well.

Thanks, Doobie. I have to go the Chester range Saturday morning so I might swing by the Londonderry flea market afterwards.

Let me know what you find out. I was going to buy some, but then had a lead on free ones...but it fell through.

PM your phone number and I'll call you if they have them there.

If they're the right price I'll pick them up for you and you can swing by my house in Weare to get them. You're only 10 or 15 miles or so from me I think.

The Barrel Man in Scarborough Maine sells a variety of different sizes. Has both used and new. The one I got held Coke syrup. Punch him into Google and you should find him. He is a character.

The Barrel Man in Scarborough Maine sells a variety of different sizes. Has both used and new. The one I got held Coke syrup. Punch him into Google and you should find him. He is a character.
Thanks for posting the info about The Barrel Man. Next time I'm up that way I'm going to swing by there and buy a few. [wink]

If any of you guys find sources for these barrels could you post the info here in this thread? I have searched off and on for rain barrels and never come up with any that seemed to be a reasonable price.

Try your local car wash, the soap comes in those big plastic barrels, I clean them with a weak bleach solution and have had very good luck, usually get them for free or very low cost. I have a well and have the same issue/concern.

Suggest that you use Advanced Search here . . . I seem to recall this discussion from way back ~2005 and you might find some sources in that thread if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

there is a place at the alton circle that sells big water holding tanks i have a 500 gallon water storage tank.
bob

Drinking water?

Hi all - hopefully not too dumb a question but can one of these barrels - the common plastic units the majority of people seem to be discussing - hold drinking water, and if so, how long do you expect it would remain potable? Perhaps with a few chlorine tabs in it?

Assuming I can find one and it's outside over the winter, what are good approaches to handle icing? I assume automotive deicer is a bad approach <smile> but how about weighing down one of those long 2-4" radius balloons and dunking it in the middle? would that give sufficient room for expansion if the water turns to ice? Alternatively has anyone heard of an appropriate additive to drop the freezing point?

After doing a few quick link-dives I found a few resources that may be of help to anyone else trying to maintain/create potable water:

1) calculator used to determine how much bleach is required to purify water (I can not vouch for it's accuracy):
http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oemergencypurifycalc.html

2) rain runoff reclamation system (non-potable without further steps):
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AE029

3) Good primer on water storage containers:
http://survivalprimer.com/Water_Storage_Container_FAQ.htm

4) UN Water Manual (designed for refugee situations)
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/3wdev/CD3WD/WATSAN/UNR01/INDEX.HTM

5) Not a resource but I read that frozen water will thaw at ~1gallon/day. Again, I'm not vouching for the validity - just a point to consider.

6) Potable additive:
http://www.emprep.com/water preserver.html

I hope this helps others.

Last edited:
Hi all - hopefully not too dumb a question but can one of these barrels - the common plastic units the majority of people seem to be discussing - hold drinking water, and if so, how long do you expect it would remain potable? Perhaps with a few chlorine tabs in it?

Generally you would put a chlorine tab in when you fill/seal it

Assuming I can find one and it's outside over the winter, what are good approaches to handle icing? I assume automotive deicer is a bad approach <smile> but how about weighing down one of those long 2-4" radius balloons and dunking it in the middle? would that give sufficient room for expansion if the water turns to ice? Alternatively has anyone heard of an appropriate additive to drop the freezing point?

I would not leave the water barrel outside. The plastic will break down over (a shortish period of) time.

5) Not a resource but I read that frozen water will thaw at ~1gallon/day. Again, I'm not vouching for the validity - just a point to consider.

I think this will depend on surface area. If I have a huge chunk it may take a while to melt. But if I break it up, it'll melt faster. Also depends on what type/level of heat transfer you have.

I think this will depend on surface area. If I have a huge chunk it may take a while to melt. But if I break it up, it'll melt faster. Also depends on what type/level of heat transfer you have.

Good points on melting. The theoretical situation was to roll one of these 55gal. drums inside (perhaps into the garage or something) but I suppose I should have thought about it prior to posting.

Back
Top Bottom