• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Source for Traps

Anybody do any trapping in here? I’m starting to get into trapping with a buddy and we’re hoping to find a decent source for traps of various sizes. What traps do you guys like? Where do you get them? How much do you reasonably expect to spend on traps?

Pretty sure you can't trap in Mass.
Pages 43-45 of MA fishing/hunting/trapping law abstracts outlines trapping law, and there is a trapper ed course offered 2-3x per year by the division of fish and wildlife. Most take that course to become problem animal control agents. My buddy is more into this than I am and he’s trying to go that route. I’m more or less along for this ride!

You're restricted to cage traps only in this state. At the moment, you may use Conibears (body grippers) with a permit from the local board of health. This, however, may change if the so-called "puppy doe" law passes the legislature (I believe that it has already passed the house and is awaiting action in the senate).

As far as the trap registration number, you apply to the permit section of MF&W and pay a small fee for a number that is assigned to you forever. You must apply this number to your trap(s) permanently. In the case of cage traps, usually a tag of rustproof metal with your name, address and trap registration number is securely attached to the trap.

if you've never held a trapping license in any state previously you are required to attend a mandatory trapper education course before you may purchase a trapping license.

Not to take the wind out of your sails, but the wild fur market is at historic lows and probably will be for a few more years. If you're going to try your hand a nuisance animal removal, then good luck. The similarities end with the use of traps.

Went camping last week and my kids trapped a chipmunk. Fishing net, twig and kite string. Bait with peanuts and wait about 5 min :)

We let him go and then trapped him (or maybe a sibling) again in about 10 min.

I like Conibear body-grip traps for squirrels.
I was told never to play with my food...

Trapping is cruel.

Find another hobby.

If you don’t like trapping why do you come to hunting trapping forum and click on a trapping tread?

I do or mainly did trap in MA, you need to take a trapper education course just an fyi. Most of the good cage traps that operate similar to say a conibear (wire trip) can be bought online. Some standard hardware stores will work, but they tend to wear out fast.

Trapping is cruel.

Find another hobby.

Really? Then explain why foot hold traps are used by wildlife managers and biologists to capture wildlife for restoration projects and biological surveys. I personally know a wildlife biologist who used coil spring foot hold traps to trap otters for a study in Maryland. They were released after data collection. The otters that were the nucleus of the successful restoration efforts in the Midwest states were trapped in Louisiana with foot hold traps, mostly double longsprings. The wolves that were sent to the Rocky Mountain states to start the controversial restoration efforts there were trapped in Canada with foot hold traps.

Start dealing in facts and not personal emotions. The bullshit propaganda and staged film footage from the animal rights industry is not the place to find science based facts about traps and trapping.

Back
Top Bottom