Something that i've been thinking about for awhile..

I moved into my new apartment back in December 08 and was trying to decide if i should inform Landlady (that does live in other part of house) that i own a firearm..

not sure if to come straight out and tell her or see how she feels about guns first.there's nothing in the lease about no guns allowed but that doesn't say anything on how she feels towards them.or am i worrying about it to much and should i just not say anything.?

i thik the reason i haven't said anything is cause i'm not sure if she's a gun fearing Lib or freedom loving Rep..that and if she doesn't approve of them,that she'll give me the option of either getrting rid of it or move..i love the location(away from the city life)

What do you guys(and Gals) think about it??
Would you say anything if you were in same sit?

I wouldn't tell her, and if she found out and told me to leave id tell her to screw off.

I would say nothing at all. Why share this item if you are not sharing the sum of your belongings that have nothing to do with her?

Why would you tell her?

I don't tell my co-workers that my fists could beat the crap out of them, but they can.
And I don't tell the guy at the gas station that my car is a piece of junk but it is.

If those comments didn't make any sense to you, it's because your thinking makes about the same amount of sense.

You don't tell someone that you have a mouth and you might say things, or that you are a religious person and that you may believe things. It's your right. No need to tell anyone you are exercising it.

Last edited:
Need to know basis only. Didn't ask, don't tell. However, I assume you have your weapons secured against anything but a professional safe cracker.

Even if she did ask it still isn't any of her biz. I didn't tell my landlord but he has seen me go hunting the morning and stuff, he never said anything and neither did I. if he asked me id tell him it wasn't any of his biz.

Wow...talk about fast responses.Thanks for the replys.

i was weighing on the side of not saying anything and if buy chance she finds out(which may happen this summer because of the way i carry which is OC) i'll deal with it when that(and if) it happens.

again thanks..
Matt

I would ask the same thing as Underwhere. What's the motivation? Do you just want to see what her reaction will be? If so, prepare yourself for whatever the outcome is.

However, I assume you have your weapons secured against anything but a professional safe cracker.

when i'm home,it doesn't come out of holster(unless i'm changing my pants ad transfering belt,holster,etc).if i leave the house,it comes with me where ever i go(unless not allowed by law)

I went into a rental agreement somewhere that said "No discharge of firearms on the property" My question was "Is it okay if it is a bad guy breaking into my apartment or attacking me?" They said "Yes, just make sure it isn't our maintenance person coming in to fix something first."

You being upfront and honest will backfire and lead to a strange relationship between you and your land lady. Instead of thinking that your a stand up citizen, honest to the core, she'll likely think your some weirdo and contantly be hypervigilent of what your doing, always watching when you come and go from the apartment with strangely shaped luggage... I agree with everyone else here, its best left alone. If your storing properly and transporting properly, she should never have reason to question to anyways.

when i'm home,it doesn't come out of holster(unless i'm changing my pants ad transfering belt,holster,etc).if i leave the house,it comes with me where ever i go(unless not allowed by law)

You only own one gun?[sad] Whats the fun in that? jk Don't say a word, its not her business. Pay your rent on time, don't shoot holes in the walls and leave her be

Why would you tell her?

I don't tell my co-workers that my fists could beat the crap out of them, but they can.
And I don't tell the guy at the gas station that my car is a piece of junk but it is.

If those comments didn't make any sense to you, it's because your thinking makes about the same amount of sense.

This situation falls under the typical theory of "Don't ask, don't tell."

Although I agree that the OP has no obligation to inform the landlord, I dunno if I agree with your logic.

1st: Your coworkers can see your fists. They are on display. Same with mine, but I don't think I can beat anyone up.

2nd: The outward appearance of your car implies that it is a POS.

Both of these examples involve things that can be easily viewed/observed and an opinion easily formed. A firearm in your house/apartment cannot be easily viewed by any random person you encounter on a daily basis.

A better example may be as follows: "I have chronic explosive diarrhea everyday at exactly 8:56 PM. Do I need to tell my co-workers/landlord/best friend/etc if it does not affect them?

Put me in the camp of STFU.

In some states, like mine, the law prohibits landlords from having "no firearms" and "no ccw" rules in their leases.

Back
Top Bottom