someone please clarify

ok...so...as we all know...the laws here get more and more confusing every day

upon reading different posts on here regaurding purchasing out of state, and at other stores etc etc ive grown increasingly confused

so here is my question

can i purchase ***ANY*** gun out of state as long as its preban???

my original thoughts were that they had to be "grandfathered" in in the state...owned previously in MA before the ban and then re-sold in MA...however the more i read the more obscure this becomes

for example...if im in texas and find a preban colt sporter can i buy it and bring it back to MA as long as i fill out and FA-10??

could i say buy this...http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52861015

can i only do it as an individual or can i have things transferred through an ffl?

if some one could please answer these questions and possibly provide further reading that would be much appreciated

however the legal jargon kinda goes over my head alot of the time so if some one could break it down in simple terms that would be great too

and sorry if this has been discussed before...if so just point me i nthe right direction[thinking]

thanx a bunch

Mod Hat On!

If you do an Advanced Search here you will see this info numerous times. Default settings are that you only see 30 days of posts, but Adv Search and User CP both help you find valuable info posted here. Stickies are here too for that purpose.

Short answers to your questions:

- ANY long gun (other than those banned by MGLs) can be bought from an FFL (ONLY) in any of the 50 states and brought back here (assuming state laws allow it where you are buying it).

- You can do the transfer via your MA FFL, but why incur the expense if you are FTF with a FFL in another state, you can do this directly.

- You can NOT purchase any handgun outside MA (not even from an FFL) unless it is:

* On the EOPS List and meets the AG regs, OR
* Was legally possessed by a MA resident (with LTC) or MA Dealer ON 10/21/98 (then it would NOT need to be on EOPS List or meet AG Regs), OR
* It is inherited directly from the deceased's estate anywhere in the US (NO FFL required in this transaction per BATFE Regs), OR
* It is a C&R handgun and you possess a C&R FFL.

In all cases the laws on new hi-cap mags and new SAWs must be complied with.

You can NOT buy any gun directly from an individual unless BOTH of you reside in the same state and state laws allow such transactions. All handgun purchases MUST go thru an FFL in your home state. ONLY exceptions:

* C&R handgun and YOU possess a C&R FFL. See comments above, OR
* Inheritance, see comments above, OR
* You are in the Military and stationed in the state you are making the purchase in.

HTH\

Lens...i fixed the settings on my user cp so now i can see all previous posts...i didnt know how to do it before...thanx for that!

also, i read some of the earlier posts and think i understand now...i'm more concerned about preban long guns than i am handguns

my only confusion is that you state long guns allowed by MGLs...is there a link for which long gund are EXCLUDED? because i never knew that there were any excluded

and...where you say i could buy a preban out of state from an FFL only, does that mean that say on a gunbroker auction the seller would have to possess a valid ffl and not be a private seller?

thanks your info is much appreciated

blood hound said:
my only confusion is that you state long guns allowed by MGLs...is there a link for which long gund are EXCLUDED? because i never knew that there were any excluded

and...where you say i could buy a preban out of state from an FFL only, does that mean that say on a gunbroker auction the seller would have to possess a valid ffl and not be a private seller?

IIRC there is a very short list of prohibited long guns in MA and since I don't recall what they are, I won't try to answer this part. I may be thinking of a Fed restriction, but seem to recall that it was MGL that restricted a handful of long gun.

Wrt Gunbroker (or similar), by law the only time that the seller would have to be an FFL would be if you were picking it up at the guy's shop and he wasn't a MA resident. ANYONE can (per Fed Law) ship a gun to an FFL in any state . . . however many FFLs will refuse to accept shipment from anyone but an FFL. Some states have laws which will over-ride this and require only FFL to FFL shipments, but MA is not one of those states.

thanx lens...the info youve provided is very helpful...it seems the few preban guns that are available out of state are at least a few hundred dollars cheaper than the ones in MA and can be had in near new condition...so when i find the right one i promise to let you shoot it!!![smile]

blood hound said:
thanx lens...the info youve provided is very helpful...it seems the few preban guns that are available out of state are at least a few hundred dollars cheaper than the ones in MA and can be had in near new condition...so when i find the right one i promise to let you shoot it!!![smile]

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom