• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the process to transfer surrendered firearms to someone else?

As the title states what is the process to get surrendered firearms back. I have a friend who got a DUI and had his firearm in his glove compartment. He was charged with firearm possession and intoxication as well as the DUI. He received a letter that he was to surrender his firearms and did just that. He then filled out the forms online to transfer surrendered firearms, but is having trouble getting in touch with the evidence officer in his local police department. The fire arms/licensing person says he has to talk to the evidence officer but he will not return his phone calls (has left about 10 messages). We have tried to look into the laws but cant really find anything. Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this or is there some process by law?
Thanks for any information and I don't want to say any towns but it is a green town in Massachusetts. I'm assuming they just don't care and will want to hold them with the whole pandemic going on.

MGL C. 140 S. 129D outlines what you have to do in a case like this. I'd do this by Certified Letter, Return Receipt Requested and if needed have an attorney do it. Sounds like they may refuse to comply (which is SOP in a lot of towns) and thus an attorney can perhaps convince them otherwise. Also, they may have "disposed" of them to a bonded warehouse, in which case getting them back may be a very expensive proposition.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom