• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Somebody asked me today...

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
what I was going to do this weekend to "Celebrate" Memorial Day.

I looked at her and said..."You don't "Celebrate" Memorial Day...you "Observe" it!

Truly freedom is not free. The service, sacrafice and freedoms secured by our veterans, for our country is a debt that can not be estimated or repayed. Memorial Day is a specific day the we honor our military veterans, past and present.

But IMHO everyday we enjoy the freedom they have won for us, is a day we honor and pay tribute to the true mission of thier service and sacrafice as well as those of thier families.

Just by having the ability to say what we want, believe as we may and even disagree (even on NES) without retribution is a demonstration of what they have fought and sacrificed for.

To all of our veterans, past and present, no matter your branch of service, while your mission may require a continued military commitment, both near and far, with capability beyond all others, the fact that my family and I can walkout our front door and excesize the fruits of freedom proves that your sacrafice has not been in vain and the continued service of those still on the front lines bears fruit and secures the freedoms we enjoy which serves to create what is undeniably the greatest country of all.

So not just this weekend, not just Monday, but each and every day, the very least all of us can do is to take a moment to send a prayer to, shake the hand of or just plain say thank you to those who get so little, give so much and provide us the opportunities we enjoy in America!!!

Happy Veterans Day to all of our military, both past and present. As a nation we stand in awe of your service, THANK YOU!!!

what I was going to do this weekend to "Celebrate" Memorial Day.

I looked at her and said..."You don't "Celebrate" Memorial Day...you "Observe" it!
[rolleyes]

I'll celebrate it the way I always do. I'll drive down to a small cemetery in Connecticut and visit my brother's grave. I'll clean his headstone, trim and rake the grass around it and put a new flag there. Then I'll do the same for other veterans' graves nearby whose families can't/don't come by themselves.

Most don't understand that Memorial Day and Veterans Day are different. Memorial Day is a time to reflect and honor the ones that paid the ultimate sacrifice, and Veterans Day is a day to say Thank you to our Veterans. As my son says most just think it is a day off.

Most don't understand that Memorial Day and Veterans Day are different. Memorial Day is a time to reflect and honor the ones that paid the ultimate sacrifice, and Veterans Day is a day to say Thank you to our Veterans. As my son says most just think it is a day off.

Simple rule: If you are thanking a Veteran for their service to this country and they are present to hear it then it is Veterans day.

Both good points.

How many companies even give Veterans day off? My husband has worked for 2 defense contractors and they didn't include Veterans Day as a day off? Of course, all the .gov agencies have it off as well as all banks and psuedo gov agencies (postal service).

How many companies even give Veterans day off? My husband has worked for 2 defense contractors and they didn't include Veterans Day as a day off? Of course, all the .gov agencies have it off as well as all banks and psuedo gov agencies (postal service).

I might work on my Birthday, and I have worked on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years Day....even the Fourth of July.

But my boss understands that I will never, ever, work on Memorial Day or Veterans Day.

Most place I have worked for don't but I always made a point of taking them off. I too have worked most holidays.

I went to my father's grave and cleaned that off. He was a Vietnam vet. Tomorrow I'm gonna go down the street to a little cemetery. It has veterans from the Revolution and the Civil War and WW2 in it. I like to pay my respects there.

My last company didn't give Veterans Day off, but they did put on a lunch for all the employees who were veterans. The COO of the company was a full bird in the Air National Guard, so the company as pretty pro-veteran. The current .gov agency I work for doesn't give any holidays off, but we do get extra pay for having to work on the holidays.

I work for a major defense contractor. About 8 years ago, they decided to make Veterans Day a "work day". [sad]

Carnea said:
I work for a major defense contractor. About 8 years ago, they decided to make Veterans Day a "work day". [sad]

You can always use one of the floater holiday. [wink]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom