Some Help Please

Looking to purchase a full sizw 9mm for the range. Here is what I have been looking at...

1. Sig 226 - a little pricey for me
2. Glock 17 - have a 26 and love it, but would have buy a used one
3. Beretta 92
4. SW M&P

Comments please......

I love my Sig 226. It's accurate, easy to clean and after putting a few thousand rounds through it, I have not had a single problem/jam with it. I've fired a Glock 17, and it just didn't feel right in my hands. Nothing against Glocks, it just wasn't the right gun for me. The best thing you can do before deciding which one is right for you is to fire each and see how each feels for you.

My preference would be..

Hk Usp
Italian beretta 92
Glock 17 (you could also use the 17 mags in your 26)
Us made beretta 92
P99 (s&w or walther)

Make some friends at the range or if you can get to a range that rents, try them all and see what you like.
Consider becoming a paid NES member. You'll be able to attend shoots that are held throughout the year. You'd have a chance to try all you've listed and more.

You should be able to rule out 2 of them quickly by deciding if you want DA or Striker fired. Ponder this one.

Holy crap, i coulda wrote the exact same paragraph.. My 226 is a wet dream, and i've shot a wide array of 9mm's... Yeah it cost a bit more but SO worth it in the long run. . .

pete

I love my Sig 226. It's accurate, easy to clean and after putting a few thousand rounds through it, I have not had a single problem/jam with it. I've fired a Glock 17, and it just didn't feel right in my hands. Nothing against Glocks, it just wasn't the right gun for me. The best thing you can do before deciding which one is right for you is to fire each and see how each feels for you.

I have the Glock 19 and Beretta 92F (Italian version)
for pure range use, the Beretta wins easy, the glock is just to light for a target pistol, and there a lot more grip options for the Beretta.

9mm

Looking to purchase a full sizw 9mm for the range. Here is what I have been looking at...

3. Beretta 92
4. SW M&P

Comments please......
If you want a new gun go with the M&P. You will need a trigger job thou. You can never go wrong w/a Glock if you don`t mind used. I have a G22 and G23 and a full size M&P in 40.S&W.

I agree with JonJ here.

Additionally, I have two of them (G17 and M&P 9 w/trigger job) that you're welcome to try if you are near BR&P or Mansfield F&G.

I would NOT worry about a used gun. If it hasn't been used as a hammer, anything that goes wrong can be fixed free from S&W or Glock (if you know a local armorer, or for cost of shipping if you don't).

The grip and balance of the M&P and Glock is totally different. One is likely to be comfortable whereas the other one won't be . . . differs for each person.

There will be lots of votes for the Sig p226 but the beretta is not bad either and about 60% of the price. The trigger will not be as nice on the beretta but it is not horrible either once you get used to the travel.

I would go with a Glock. I'm looking for a 19. I have a M&P compact, and I don't love it.

Have you shot a Glock? The 2 guns shoot very similarly. If you don't care for one, chances are you're not going to like the other (I read your other thread. You're likely to have the same issues shooting a Glock).

Have you shot a Glock? The 2 guns shoot very similarly. If you don't care for one, chances are you're not going to like the other (I read your other thread. You're likely to have the same issues shooting a Glock).

I have in fact shot Glocks many times. One of the reasons I bought the M&P is becaue I thought it would be similar to a Glock, it isn't. My husband has a G27 that I shoot regularly.

3. Beretta 92
4. SW M&P

Comments please......

Those would make a nice "range pack", go ahead and buy them all. [smile]

Cant go wrong with the glock or the sig. If you like the 26 I would go with the 17. Same s!@t different box.

All of your options are comparable and the choice is really one of personal preference. (Although the M&P will constrain your ability to employ high-cap mags if you live in MA). A poll here on NES will not result in an overwhelming endorsement for any of the guns.

I say this even though I like my P226 so much I bought another and am looking for a P228 carry gun. I've been accused of being a bigot.

Try to shoot (or at least handle) each gun. There will be one that feels better for YOU. If you decide to just pick one and go with it, you'll probalby end up loving that gun.

BTW - I agree with Mike-Mike, think about the DA vs. striker issue.

If you are looking at an M&P, keep in mind that it is very different from the M&Pc. I have both and they feel and shoot like the two different guns that they are. I had a Glock 19 for years that I shot all the time but it just never felt right in my hand. Guns aren't cheap and its a big PITA to buy one and then sell it because you don't like it. Try to borrow one first. If you're local, let me know and you can try mine.

Thanks everyone....

I have a 26, same as 17 so I'm sure I will like it.

Have shot the mp and have several friends who have them and like them.

Again the sig is pricey but from the few i have held and dry fired its a sweet gun.

Then there is the Beretta....uh im so confused![crying]

Decisions, decisions, decisions. It is never easy to make up our mind about, after considering it and other possible choices. . Good luck with yours and I am sure that you will love any of them.

Ish.

Sig P226 hands down. Had an M&P full size, don't have it any more :) Have a Glock 17, don't like it half as much as my Sig. Accurate, easy to shoot, easy to clean.

I'm a Sig Man...

I've shot them all and my only negative comment is that the M&P has an awful trigger which can be fixed. There are .22 conversion kits available for the other 3 on your list and I've used the Ciener kit on a Beretta and an Advantage Arms kit on a Glock17. Both worked but I think the Advantage kit works better and is of better quality. Try to shoot as many as you can before you decide.

IMO while the type of action is similar, the M+P and the Glock are two different beasts entirely. The M+P has more of a neutral grip angle, and depending on who did or did not do the trigger job, or what day of the week the gun was built, a reset that seems to be a lot longer and less perceptible. The first time I ever shot an M+P I short stroked the trigger, because I expected it to reset and it didn't. I can definitely see people favoring one or the other.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom