Soldiers get wireless targeting to shoot around corners, hit enemies instantly

Reptile

NES Member
As attacking enemies appear and vanish in seconds from around corners, rocks and trees - armed U.S. soldiers in Close Quarter Combat often have little or no time to respond, while their lives often hang in the balance.

As a way to address this, the Army has leveraged wireless networking technology to give soldiers a distinct advantage; a new system connecting night vision goggles with rifle targeting sights will arrive in a matter of months, enabling soldiers to fire around corners and hit enemies instantly, without having to “shoulder” their weapon.

Soldiers get wireless targeting to shoot around corners, hit enemies instantly

Interesting but this strikes me as a step too far in equipment complexity for the average infantryman. I'm not much of a visionary, however, so...

Seeing this I immediately think of the Kitty corner.

kitty-cornershot-jpg.1605136

Interesting but this strikes me as a step too far in equipment complexity for the average infantryman. I'm not much of a visionary, however, so...
I hope the device is very user friendly.
Having a giant goggle obstructing everything else you need to see and do could be a hindrance.
Under perfect conditions, the device would be great.

I agree in principle, the less there is to break the better.

Seeing that they already have the NVGs, and as long as the wireless dying doesn't mean the weapon can't be used as a normal rifle, I'd be good carrying this.

Who is/was actually in the Infantry in this thread? If anybody was in the Infantry after 9/11 you would be surprised at the level of complexity in the equipment and how well it is being used. Now, with that said, shooting an enemy combatant from around a corner without shouldering your weapon is freaking dumb. I can see this being used to view the area without exposing yourself but that is what ISR is for if you have CAS.

I really doubt this would ever end up in the hands of infantry. I don't know what the article means by 'arriving' in early 2019, but this is R&D, experimental stuff. Special forces operators are much more likely to evaluate new technologies like this.

just wait until Chinese will hack these to display nakid wimminz and change friendly uniforms into nazi.

I bet all those chips are made in China ... just saying.

The average infantryman doesn’t get night vision.

You’re a bit behind the times. They may not get the latest binocular or quad-tube NVGs that special operations get, but they certainly have some pretty good night vision with at least PVS-14s.

Also, just wanted to point out that this new technology was invented and is made locally in Merrimack/Nashua.

The “around the corner” aspect is just one thing. This has greater implications with added augmented reality functionality for better situational awareness and enhanced C2.

I really doubt this would ever end up in the hands of infantry. I don't know what the article means by 'arriving' in early 2019, but this is R&D, experimental stuff. Special forces operators are much more likely to evaluate new technologies like this.

This isn’t R&D, and it isn’t a prototype. They’re actually making it. I don’t know what contract they won, but regular forces could be getting it. Lots of conventional units test out new technology.

Also, to add onto my last post, aside from enhanced situational awareness, this enables night shooting without needing to use an IR laser that can be seen by enemies with night vision. More and more “3rd world” enemies have night vision and IR lasers give away your position.

This isn’t R&D, and it isn’t a prototype. They’re actually making it. I don’t know what contract they won, but regular forces could be getting it. Lots of conventional units test out new technology.

Also, to add onto my last post, aside from enhanced situational awareness, this enables night shooting without needing to use an IR laser that can be seen by enemies with night vision. More and more “3rd world” enemies have night vision and IR lasers give away your position.

Correct. That was a slight problem in 2009 wayyyyyyy back when we only had pvs14s, peq15s and apparently never went out at night according to some around here.

Edit: Id also like to point out to the masses that we were also using pas13 thermal sights both for individual and crew weapons. We also used a larger handheld/tripod mounted thermal binocular which I forgot the nomenclature.... in 2009

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom