So why hasn't Comm2A sued MA over this...

Comm2A

Director Comm2a
Dealer
NES Member
I know, because we hear it on occasion, that many of you out there are wondering why Comm2A hasn't sued x town over y issue. Today I want to tell you why. Yeah, money is not in ample supply to handle every possible issue all at once, but that's not the biggest problem. In MA, you don't have a recognized right to an LTC. Some of you may have figured this out already from the AGs filings in some cases, but the AG's office is taking the position that all one needs to possess a handgun in the home (the limited amount of the right they acknowledge) is an FID card and the permit to purchase. I can tell you that just about everything you could file under "y issue" you have been wondering about is going to rely on the LTC covering a portion of the right. Every move we have made since Fletcher has been designed to attack that problem. This is why Davis v. Grimes is so important as it serves as our hook into the LTC. This is why the Wesson v. Fowler case was able to proceed (they were barred from getting a permit to purchase too). The Jarvis case and Plouffe cases are all LTC safe in that they don't deal with the scope of the right (though plouffe could easily become a 18-21 yr old rights case).

Any foray into state court doesn't have this problem because state courts must deal with state law as it is and then address constitutional issues on top of that but in federal court, the court is only concerned with what is constitutional. This is why the SJC has been able to address simkin, reyes, and other cases while mostly ignoring the constitutional issues. They only need to address the constitutional issue if they plan on finding against the petitioner (be it defendant or plaintiff). You will note they they found for simkin, and never did so based on any rights he may have had. Same with Reyes mostly, where they "assumed" constitutionality and proceeded from there. They only dealt with constitutional issues directly in McGowan and Chardin, because they found against them.

Anyhow, this is why we have not sued x town over y issue. Once we can, we will open up on the bad actors to the extent our resources allow. Our ability to do this (beyond the issue above) relies on people willing to be plaintiffs and the donations of our supporters.

No question on my part. You guys are the experts and know what needs to happen in what order to make things better for us. Thanks for keeping up the good fight. You do your job and I'll continue to help out by donating.

What is the next step in Davis v. Grimes and what do you see as the timeline going forward to bring that case to a conclusion?

We await a decision. Timeline could be up to 9 months away. Not sure it will take that long frankly. Nothing left for us to do there but wait.

Do you think we will ever see "shall" issue LTC in Mass, or at least getting rid of Chief discretion? I appreciate what you guys do. It's amazing all the time you guys put in, and you're only volunteers. I'm on a limited budged, but donate when I can. Hopefully I can donate more soon.

Do you think we will ever see "shall" issue LTC in Mass, or at least getting rid of Chief discretion? I appreciate what you guys do. It's amazing all the time you guys put in, and you're only volunteers. I'm on a limited budged, but donate when I can. Hopefully I can donate more soon.
Exactly. There needs to be something a little more objective than sole discretion. A checklist... something that would ferret out reasonably objective reasons for denial... or for approval, either way. But someone needs to realize absolute power corrupts absolutely. And right now, Chiefs have absolute power and that ain't good.

Do you think we will ever see "shall" issue LTC in Mass, or at least getting rid of Chief discretion?

We believe that it's possible to eliminate suitability as we know it. But there will always be a means for a PD to disarm an individual, at least temporarily, without charges or a conviction. There was a case out of CA that went to scotus and they basically agreed that the seizure of a shotgun from the former foster mother of a gang banger was constitutional given that the gang banger had fired shots at his ex GF with a shotgun, albeit not the one that was involved. It was not clear whether scotus saw the seizure as a on an evidentiary basis v. a public safety basis, but that they allowed this at all, shows there is some latitude for it.

That said, the typical bull shit that the PDs throw around making baseless assertions and calling it fact in order to revoke permits is hopefully not what scotus will allow. The absolute worst case will be that the burden for suitability challenges will fall on the PD instead of the LTC holder. But that still allows for a whole lot of screwing around with LTC holders and is not our goal.

I was always amazed that Chief's suitability was constitutional. It does not provide equal protection under the law.

Good job, though men. I thank you.

Why hasnt Miller vs US been used to fight things like the AWB and mag limits for people who get jammed up on violations of those?

how about the magazine ban???

Why hasn't Miller vs US been used to fight things like the AWB and mag limits for people who get jammed up on violations of those?

Until SAFE act and Hickenlopper's mess in CO I would have said we would eventually be ground zero for challenging that stupidity, but now, we will stay focused on the issues we can get quicker relief on and continue to support other efforts like we did in Wilson v. Cook county. When the right situation shows itself, we will deal with it then. It's in all of our best interests to deal with other issues related to handgun purchasing in MA in the meantime. We will also support the criminal bar as needed.

Until SAFE act and Hickenlopper's mess in CO I would have said we would eventually be ground zero for challenging that stupidity, but now, we will stay focused on the issues we can get quicker relief on and continue to support other efforts like we did in Wilson v. Cook county. When the right situation shows itself, we will deal with it then. It's in all of our best interests to deal with other issues related to handgun purchasing in MA in the meantime. We will also support the criminal bar as needed.

So it sounds like NY is the state to watch then. In CO the mag limit is 15. So that could fall but 10 could still stand. But if NY's 7 falls then no way 10 doesn't.

maybe aldon smith will fight against the various CA AWB restrictions.

He likely won't have to. The statute may be found unconstitutionally vague in advance of that. He won't be convicted of the mag charges because possession is not illegal in CA, only importation is and the state would have to prove he imported them.

- - - Updated - - -

So it sounds like NY is the state to watch then. In CO the mag limit is 15. So that could fall but 10 could still stand. But if NY's 7 falls then no way 10 doesn't.

Places to watch are NY, CO, Cook County IL and CA.

Thank you for doing what you do!

x2

I donated, membered up, and bought some swag recently as well.
I think I might have asked, not sure I got a reply:

I presume Comm2A is not a 501c3.
Any thought to forming a 501c3 educational foundation to garner tax deductible donations?

It sucks to see all these Greenies out there suck in all the money via a 501c3 and influence legislation but we can't for the avocations we enjoy.

x2

I donated, membered up, and bought some swag recently as well.
I think I might have asked, not sure I got a reply:

I presume Comm2A is not a 501c3.
Any thought to forming a 501c3 educational foundation to garner tax deductible donations?

It sucks to see all these Greenies out there suck in all the money via a 501c3 and influence legislation but we can't for the avocations we enjoy.

We are absolutely a 501(c)(3). Any donation you make is tax deductible.

Some of the most frustrating things for me have been our inability to do much about licensing delays for BS statutory prohibitions.

Think about it this way: The state isn't saying you don't have the right to possess a handgun in your home, they're saying to don't have a right to the license. If you had a right to the license both of my major pet peeves would be easy to resolve. It's a connect-the-dots problem. If you read our Wesson pleading carefully you'll see why we did some of the things we did.

I still also cannot get over the fact that 5 1/2 years after DC v. Heller, no MA court has issued a ruling supporting the Second Amendment. No one in MA has ever been harmed by a denial of their 2A rights. Ironically, we did get this ruling in federal court as applied for foreign nationals.

Watershed moments for me will be when a MA court either supports someone's Second Amendment right or overrules Comm v. Davis and all it's progeny.

Quick financial comments:

- The number of cases we can file is directly related to how much we receive in donations. When we file, we not only have to consider the case but any possible appeal.

- Comm2A staff takes almost nothing for itself (ok, so we got a free shirt to wear to Comm2A events). No paid staff or perks of the job other than the sweet taste of victory when a case is won.

To all those that have made our current case load possible, thank you.

We are working on additional cases, and have more on our action list that we have yet to ramp up on. Your $$ will push us up that ramp.

Despite the practical frustrations that not attacking x town on y issue can cause, one (more) thing that can be said about Comm2A is that these guys don't mess around. Plan, execute, repeat. It's refreshing to see that the delay between making a decision on an issue and execution thereon is often less than 24 hours.

Quick financial comments:

- The number of cases we can file is directly related to how much we receive in donations. When we file, we not only have to consider the case but any possible appeal.

- Comm2A staff takes almost nothing for itself (ok, so we got a free shirt to wear to Comm2A events). No paid staff or perks of the job other than the sweet taste of victory when a case is won.

To all those that have made our current case load possible, thank you.

We are working on additional cases, and have more on our action list that we have yet to ramp up on. Your $$ will push us up that ramp.

And the above is why I will support Comm2A over 99.5% of the other 501(c)(3) organizations, which have a conflict between the interests of their staff (make more money off the charity) and their mission (spend as much as possible on helping people).

Of course, that is on top of them supporting a cause that desperately needs supporting.

Back
Top Bottom