so, some opinions on the sig 220

P220 is one of my favorites, got an older German model. The newer E2 grip feels better. They are very accurate and reliable. Mine doesn't cycle the semi wad cutters very well, the newer ones do. It shoots every other style bullet fine.

Last edited:
This thread made me take mine out for a solid cleaning. Mind you, it hasn’t been shot in a couple of months, but I still felt like a good spit shine was in order.

CB40E1AC-4754-49AE-963B-484893D7F5E0.jpeg

So to add to this, if you wanted to get a 10MM, and were torn between either a:

1. P220 Legion 10mm DA/SA, because I love my P226 legion

or a

2. Springfield Armory TRP 10mm (6" slide), which I would of course name Mjölnir!

PC9610L18.png

Which one would you choose and why? I kinda feel that for a SAO, there is no match to the 1911 system, so i might as well only consider the P220 DA/SA. It would be mostly a range / camping gun. Also, are there any aftermarket p220 extended mags that reach 10 rounds?

I had a P220, and had two problems. 1. the trigger pinched my index finger when I pulled it. I solved that by putting in a flat trigger.
2. I could never shoot it as accurately as I shoot the 1911

I never figured out why I couldn't shoot it well, and eventually traded it for another 1911.

It's a great pistol, I was just not able to take advantage of it. I didn't have enough range time to spend to learn to shoot
it accurately. I figured if the 1911 was just working for me, I'd go with it.

I had a P220, and had two problems. 1. the trigger pinched my index finger when I pulled it. I solved that by putting in a flat trigger.

I never figured out why I couldn't shoot it well, and eventually traded it for another 1911.

It's a great pistol, I was just not able to take advantage of it. I didn't have enough range time to spend to learn to shoot

There is no other pistol im as accurate with as my 9mm 1911. Other than the target sights looking to destroy my slingshot hand, its a perfect gun.

or a

2. Springfield Armory TRP 10mm (6" slide), which I would of course name Mjölnir!

PC9610L18.png

Which one would you choose and why? I kinda feel that for a SAO, there is no match to the 1911 system, so i might as well only consider the P220 DA/SA. It would be mostly a range / camping gun. Also, are there any aftermarket p220 extended mags that reach 10 rounds?

I‘m a huge fan of 10mm. I’d love to try the Springfield in addition to the 220 variant.

or a

PC9610L18.png

No aftermarket 220 mags I'm aware of in .45 or 10mm (maybe a pro mag or some other junk exists that I discounted)..

You are stuck w/ 8 rounds in the 10mm and 10 in the .45, max. Which is stupid since 10mm is like 12% smaller in diameter or something like that.

This is kinda a general Sig downfall - aftermarket adoption is very low and you are always stuck with mostly expensive proprietary stuff when it comes to Sig. Even something ironed out like an AR, I think magpul has special disclaimers about fitment w/ some Sigs.

I like DA/SA w/ a decocker, naturally safe without anything to get confused about under pressure.

P220 is one of the greats, right up there with the 1911, cz75, browning high power, etc.

One of the few pistols you can pretty much count on right out of the box.

No aftermarket 220 mags I'm aware of in .45 or 10mm (maybe a pro mag or some other junk exists that I discounted)..

You are stuck w/ 8 rounds in the 10mm and 10 in the .45, max. Which is stupid since 10mm is like 12% smaller in diameter or something like that.

This is kinda a general Sig downfall - aftermarket adoption is very low and you are always stuck with mostly expensive proprietary stuff when it comes to Sig. Even something ironed out like an AR, I think magpul has special disclaimers about fitment w/ some Sigs.

I like DA/SA w/ a decocker, naturally safe without anything to get confused about under pressure.

I don’t know why I didn’t catch this last night, but there are original Sig 10-round mags. Hard to find, but they are out there. I don’t know if they’re available in 10mm though. My Glock 40 has 10 round mags.

81EC05F8-4603-405B-A2F6-E1DBCAD7443A.jpeg D311B550-84DD-4BA9-AE6F-68ADA49BDF11.jpeg

I don’t know why I didn’t catch this last night, but there are original Sig 10-round mags. Hard to find, but they are out there. I don’t know if they’re available in 10mm though. My Glock 40 has 10 round mags.

View attachment 344474View attachment 344475

They are not hard to find but like I was saying they are only in .45 - the 10mm version is max of 8.

Also are kinda dumb, unlike other Sigs they didn't even bother to make them match the grip. But at least they offer them in .45.

Normally a Glock 20 or 40 holds 15.

They are not hard to find but like I was saying they are only in .45 - the 10mm version is max of 8.

Also are kinda dumb, unlike other Sigs they didn't even bother to make them match the grip. But at least they offer them in .45.

Normally a Glock 20 or 40 holds 15.

I should’ve qualified my statement with “in Massachusetts.”

I had my folded, nickeled, 220, .45acp for 30 years. Like yours, with 7 or 8 round magazines and no matter the ammo, It never malfunctioned . Not even one time.
You are right Dennis, that nickeled 220 is a great gun, I’ve never had an issue with it. I don’t know if you did trigger work to it, but it’s got a sweet trigger.

R

Have a the two tone version in 45. Wanted the Stainless elite but was hard to find in Ma when I was looking. Fun gun to shoot and comfortable.

Attachments

• 18A86027-D9A7-4866-A3B3-595D7857850E.jpeg
    18A86027-D9A7-4866-A3B3-595D7857850E.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 8
Update on my 220 legion..

Last time I took it out for a more scientific test, marked the mag upon 1st failure.. all 3 failures in about 200 rounds were with the same 10 round mag.

So it is appearing that although originally there was a higher failure rate across all mags, between the Sig polishing job and break-in, the original problem with the gun is corrected and now I'm down to one defective magazine.

Thanks for the heads up but I haven't found a FFL in MA (yet) that would do the transfer because it is not an item on Hitler's list.
Sucks - honestly though in MA I don't know what you get from a 10 round 227. The 220 has a more reliable (theoretically) single stack and narrower grip... now if you have the larger mags, different story.

Sucks - honestly though in MA I don't know what you get from a 10 round 227. The 220 has a more reliable (theoretically) single stack and narrower grip... now if you have the larger mags, different story.
I guess the real answer is my safe has "space". If I ever come across one, it would probably just be added to the collection since it is too big/heavy to lug around.

Back
Top Bottom