Smoking while deer hunting ?

I know that lots of people are getting into the sent blocking clothes trying to cover up smells or really a HUMAN smell.
I am a smoker and I know I am not going to want to sit out there long with out smoking. I know lots of old timers that smoke pipes and cigars when taking a stand. One told me deer are nosey and if the smell something new they will want to check it out. A couple of years back I took a cigar out with me to a nice spot near a stream just at dusk. Lit up the cigar in memory of the old timer friend that told me that. About 30 seconds after I snubbed it out a small buck walks out and I shoot him.
So whats the feeling here. Will the smell of smoke like that really freak them out? Or will they just think its a wood stove a mile away and go about their business.
Now how many hunters that smoke stop for the day in the woods?

I don't but I have often wondered if bringing my pipe along for a nice smoke while I was relaxing with my thoughts to my self. Then the thought of "what if the deer smell it and don't come around" paranoia sets in.

When I used to smoke the deer never seemed to be bothered by it. Some smells alarm them and IMHO smoke is not one of them.

I think there is a lot of literature out there about the scent blocking mindset. When you think about it though, deer live in an environment that is full of human scent and human manufacturing. I have had farmers tell me that they have had some of their best hunting when they just walk out in the woods with there diesel smelling overalls. Those strong odors of smoke or diesel may mask the human scent with something that is familiar to the deer. I personally think that a lot of money is spent on products that very well may not be needed.

For century's before there was sent blocking there was hunting and man smoked, ate and bought gas. We're all still here so there must have been meat on the table.

To completly remove all sent of man you'd have to shower and rinse extra to get rid of the soap smell. Store all your clothes out side and then after the shower run outside nude to dress. Don't get into a car or truck because your clothes will pick up the smell of gas and oil. Not to mention cooking smells and just about everything we contact between the camp and your hunting area.

You always hunt into the wind.

I don't go crazy with the scent control thing. I worry more about using some UV killing spray so I don't glow during bow hunting when a close shot is a must. I do have some scent lock camo but just make sure I am not sweating my butt off before getting to the stand.

My father used to hunt up in Maine. They would all smoke and drink the night before, and ride around on snowmobiles (2-stroke) and use chainsaws. The always came home with deer. Thinking back, none of them had "Gut Deer" or any other hunting stickers on their cars or trucks, either.

If it were just smell alone, I don't think it would matter. But its not. There is the noise one makes while smoking. There are the movements one makes while smoking. If a deer hears you or sees the smoke, it will likely stare, and then if you move you're busted.
There will always be great stories to the contrary, just as there will always be the hunter who barely enters the woods to have a 10 pointer stand up in front of them. IMO they are the exceptions. Most of the time, most of us never know when we've been bypassed by a whitetail that detected our presence.

I think the whole scent free carbon activated clothing and super soaps is a load of crap to get people to buy more stuff. I think the whole "gas smelling clothes and cigarette smoking" sucess stories are because deer don't think these guys are hunting. The ONLY time I see deer, is when I'm pheasant hunting - and since I don't have a dog, I'm not being too stealthy. I think the deer think I'm just another hiker or something and don't care. If I try to act like I'm deer hunting, I seem to scare the heck out of them.

As for scent control, I tie a piece of string to the front of my gun - it tells me where the wind is coming from and I plan accordingly.

I also quit buying all the fancy clothes, too. I wear old BDU's or wool pants, a chamois shirt and a wool jacket if its cold, uninsulated Bean boots and I'm set.

Lots of money is spent on sent control advertising. I go as far as washing my clothes with non scented detergent. Thats usually it though.

I use the unscented detergent because I don't like the fake smells. I have no big plans to de-scent or use buck lure or any of that. I guess I'm old-fashioned like that.

Hunting has become marketing...The amount of crap I see people buy to hunt deer is bewildering. Kudos to the marketeers and capitalism. I first went deer hunting with my grandfather in 1975. We wore nearly identical outfits: Red and black checked Woolrich jackets, orange leather hats, wool mittens, canvas pants, Sorels. My grandfather smoked Winstons like a chimney and we didn't sit in a metal stand above a pile of deer feed, spraying Windicator and worrying if we used the Dead Down Wind dryer sheets. Amazingly enough, we managed to get deer...

When I used to smoke the deer never seemed to be bothered by it. Some smells alarm them and IMHO smoke is not one of them.

+1

I wouldn't smoke a cigar while sitting in a stand all morning but it never seemed to affect my father's ability to drop a deer every year.

I dont smoke in stand but a buddy of mine smokes like a chimney and gets deer. He spits out his butt and takes his shot.

One year someone asked him what scents he used since he shot so many deer. He said "I use Value scents". "Value scents?" asked the other guy.
Yeh, says my buddy and reaches into his pocket and pulls out a pack of Value Sense generic cigarettes. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom