SMLE wood

Garys

NES Member
I have a No 1 Mk III on the way. The notes say that the stock has no finish on it. I seem to remember that this was typical, but can't recall what the British did to the furniture to treat it. Anyone know off hand?

Gary

I'm pretty sure BLO (boiled linseed oil) was used on Enfields. Thats what I'd use.
PM Cabinetman on here, he may know for sure.

Thanks. I'll have to do that. I seem to remember that Lindseed Oil is available in most hardware stores. I just don't know if it's boiled or not. Easy enough to find out, though.

Gary

Boiled just means solvents have been added to raw linseed oil to make it dry faster. If you used raw oil it'd take forever to dry.
There are lots of different brands out there but if you want a nice traditional finish go with a high end product from a furniture or woodworking store.

Boiled just means solvents have been added to raw linseed oil to make it dry faster. If you used raw oil it'd take forever to dry.
There are lots of different brands out there but if you want a nice traditional finish go with a high end product from a furniture or woodworking store.

Thanks again. And thanks to everyone for no wise ass comments on the thread title! [smile]Although I'm sure I'll be excited when the rifle shows up.

Gary

I got the list today too.[wink]

Lots of nice ones there, did you get one with a magazine cut off?

N69941 A "dispersal" rifle so it's newer. I don't think it has the cut off, but it looks to be in great shape. The owner even explained to me what a dispersal rifle is. Nice guy, he didn't mind taking some time to chat with me.

Picked up by the BBT and on it's way here. I won't get to see it until next Monday, but it's on it's way.

Gary

Wood on that rifle is going to look nice with a BLO finish on it. It has lots of character and grain to it from the looks of the pics. Make sure you post some shots when its done.

Wood on that rifle is going to look nice with a BLO finish on it. It has lots of character and grain to it from the looks of the pics. Make sure you post some shots when its done.

Will do. I might post some pictures before so I can sneak it in under the March acquisitions! [smile]

They all looked pretty nice, I just don't have enough money to buy more than one right now. I have other stuff on my list, as does everyone. Anyway, it was more than I planned on paying for a SMLE, but it's a way above average example.

Gary

If it's really dry wood, mix the Blo 50/50 with mineral spirits and rub in a coat. Wait 24 hours, rub with 0000 steel wool to smooth it out a bit, wipe it with a clean dry cloth and do another coat. Repeat until it doesn't soak up too much. Then use full strength Blo for 3 or four coats the same way. When it has a good smooth finish on it, rub it with a few coats of Butchers Wax and rub it down with a smooth cloth. You really need to wait 24 hours between coats. Don't use sand paper - ever.

When done, it will look great and feel real nice.

I got some BLO tonight at Lowes. I've put one coat on and I can already see that this is going to turn out nicely. The first coat has started to pull up the grain in the wood. I'll put a few more coats on, steel wooling the wood between each one as you guys have suggested.

The rest of the rifle is pretty clean with only traces of cosmolene. I've disassembled, cleaned and oiled the metal. I even replaced the extractor spring that I broke. Ooops. Pictures will follow in a week or so when I've put everything back together.

Gary

Just make sure you remove the hairs left by the steel wool after buffing the stock down. They can actually trap moisture and cause rust to develop where you'd least expect it.
Best way is to blow the stock off with compressed air. If you don't have a compressor, the cans of compressed air used for dusting off keyboards work pretty well. You can find those often in 2 packs at Wal Mart for cheap money.
They're also good for getting hard to reach areas in surplus guns when you've been soaking and scrubbing with cosmolone removal solutions like Simple Green and WD40.[wink]
At the least a pre paint tack rag or lintfree rag lightly dampened with mineral spirits will work well too.

Just make sure you remove the hairs left by the steel wool after buffing the stock down. They can actually trap moisture and cause rust to develop where you'd least expect it.
Best way is to blow the stock off with compressed air.

Thanks again. If I remember, I'll bring the wood pieces to the garage at work and use their air. We have a strict no weapons rule, but I don't think that anyone will even know what the pieces are. If I'm wrong, I'll be posting in the "Anyone know of a position?" thread. [crying]

Other than that, the furniture is coming along nicely. I think two coats are going to do it. I didn't really understand the whole steel wool thing until the second coat was on. Lot's of sticky residue which the steel wool cleaned up nicely. The wood looks a lot darker and the grain really stands out nicely. Just enough dents and dings in the stock to give the rifle some great character.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom