SMLE No1 MkIII

Garys

NES Member
A 1943 BSA "dispersal" rifle rearsenalled after WWII. Looks new, except the stock has dings and dents from storage. As delivered, the wood had no finish, but a couple of coats of boiled lindseed oil fixed that right up.

SMLENo1MkIII-3sm-1.jpg

SMLENo1MKIII-1sm-1.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice, but that's a limitation of the photographer.

Gary

Last edited:
Very nice - and a bayonet to go with it!

Now get yourself a genuine regulation Brit sling and you're all set!

I had the bayonet before the rifle arrived, but that's a different story. I'm in the market for a sling. My two No4's have them. I need one for this rifle and my No5 MkI as well.

My wife, obviously no gun or history fan, didn't even know what a bayonet was when I showed it to her. Just means I need to get more bayonets for the collection, I guess. [smile]

Gary

Nice! I generally don't find them all that appealing (at least I tell myself that for my wallet's sake!) but that's one of the nicest looking one's I've ever seen.

Nice! I generally don't find them all that appealing (at least I tell myself that for my wallet's sake!) but that's one of the nicest looking one's I've ever seen.

A lot of the ones I've seen at gun shows look like they were run over by tanks. I know that means they have seen plenty of action, but they are not very appealing. Which is why I grabbed this one when I saw it. More than I probably should have spent, but what the hell, that's the point of a hobby! [wink]

Gary

Nonsense! You didn't pay too much - just bought too early!

LOL! I don't think I paid too much considering the condition.

Thanks for the links. I've been looking. I have to buy a few other items, so I'm going to try to bundle the purchase together. Waiting for a dealer number form Numrich, then I'll start looking in earnest.

Gary

http://cgi.ebay.com/British-Enfield...oryZ4074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the type I have on my 1916 Mk1. Rub some Pecards leather dressing into it and it'll soften up really nice to make it easy to work with.

Had to go mention Enfield slings eh Ken? Now I found a Savage marked one I may need!

BTW, stock looks great! Glad it came out nice for you.

I'm going for a web sling, since this was a WWII vintage rifle. I'd guess that it was originally issued with a web sling as the No4's were.

I have Pecards for my K31 Sling. I just need to get some saddle soap and clean it up first.

I'm glad Ken made you buy a sling since you've made me buy several! [smile]

Gary

Back
Top Bottom