Smith & Wesson M & P 15

I'm thinking of buying a "scary looking" rifle. A local shop has a sale on S&W MP 15 for $900.00. I've not done any research on these rifles at all. So I'm asking is this a good rifle and is $900.00 a good price.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Bob

I have been researching ARs for quite awhile now in preparation for my first build, or purchase. From what I have seen that is a decent price for the M&P. You can however build one significantly cheaper if you are so inclined. There is a "build it yourself" section on this forum that covers a ton of actual build ups, as well as sources for doing that. There are also dedicated AR-15 sites, but I don't know if I can put links here. Good luck, and I will follow along to see what more experienced members recommend.[wink]

Which model is it?

Also, as far as building it cheaper, at times you can, but will it be as good/better than the M&P? Quality costs and if its going to be a SHTF or Home Defense weapon I wouldn't exactly want to skimp on parts quality. And the reasons the a BCG from RRA is cheaper than one from say BCM or LMT is because the LMT's and BCMs are tested a lot more than a RRA and subject to higher standards.

Last edited:
Yes it's an excellent rifle. There are cheaper ones but like everything else: you get what you pay for. The price is a tad high for the ORC and good for the FT - it depends on which model rifle it is.

It's an M & P 15 carbine/223/17"barrel/10 rd mag

Right but they have a couple of versions. There's the FT which has a heavy target barrel and the ORC or 'optics ready carbine' which has a basic carbine barrel. There are other differences between the two rifles but that's a thumbnail. That price is good for the FT (usually the barrel of the FT is stainless) and a tad high or average for the ORC (usually a blued barrel). So check with the seller as to which version it is or if he posted a picture the blued vs. stainless barrel might help you figure which it is.

-ORC will run you about 850 or so. ( Model: M&P15ORC Optics Ready Compliant, Caliber: 5.56mm, Gas Block with Integral Picatinny-Style Rail on the
same plane as receiver rail for mounting BUIS)
-The FT will run you about $1350 or so. Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223 Barrel Length: 16", Barrel Twist: 1 in 9" , Front Sight: Troy Folding Battle Sight Rear Sight: Troy Folding Battle Sight, Barrel Material: 4140 Steel .
I have shot the MP AR15FT. Solid!.

-ORC will run you about 850 or so. ( Model: M&P15ORC Optics Ready Compliant, Caliber: 5.56mm, Gas Block with Integral Picatinny-Style Rail on the
same plane as receiver rail for mounting BUIS)
-The FT will run you about $1350 or so. Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223 Barrel Length: 16", Barrel Twist: 1 in 9" , Front Sight: Troy Folding Battle Sight Rear Sight: Troy Folding Battle Sight, Barrel Material: 4140 Steel .
I have shot the MP AR15FT. Solid!.

That it is. Heavy though!

That it is. Heavy though!

S&W lists the M&P15FT less than 7lbs. It feels pretty light to me unless it's in full mall ninja dress.

Bob, I have an M&P15FT for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.

S&W lists the M&P15FT less than 7lbs. It feels pretty light to me unless it's in full mall ninja dress.

Bob, I have an M&P15FT for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.

Nope, I've got an EBR I'm very happy with - for now LOL The OP might though!

Payed $699 for my M&P-15 .223 a year ago. Had it at the range yesterday and it shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with only a 4 power Millett DMS scope!

I can honestly say that along with their revolvers the M&P-15 is very accurate. Can't say the same about their semi-autos though!

Last edited:
BobP...the dealer told me the $900.00 was for either model.

PaulD. Since I live in NY I don't think we could do a sale.

Bob

BobP...the dealer told me the $900.00 was for either model.

PaulD. Since I live in NY I don't think we could do a sale.

Bob

Well, I could ship it to your local FFL, but it's probably not worth it. If you can get an M&P15FT new for $900, do it.

You can get a much nicer rifle, lifetime warranty, and better C/S with a Spikes Tactical AR15.

I have the ST M4 LE for $750, chrome lined barrel, 1/7 twist, etc. Making it MA legal drove the price to about $800.

That would be my recommendation.

You can get a much nicer rifle, lifetime warranty, and better C/S with a Spikes Tactical AR15.

I have the ST M4 LE for $750, chrome lined barrel, 1/7 twist, etc. Making it MA legal drove the price to about $800.

That would be my recommendation.

Spikes makes a great gun, but for $100 more he's getting a full length quad rail on a carbine build and Troy BUIS. That alone is worth the extra $100.

I might have a conflict of interest since I'm trying to sell one. However, even Bud's has the M&P15FT listed at $1275. So, somehow I doubt any place has a new one for $900.

I might have a conflict of interest since I'm trying to sell one. However, even Bud's has the M&P15FT listed at $1275. So, somehow I doubt any place has a new one for $900.

i was quoted 1050 cash out the door for the ft new (before s&w 100 rebate). still dont know if its worth the extra $ from the orc ($750 after rebate)

Back
Top Bottom