Smith or Hardware guy to remove stripped grip screw

I got some uber crappy grip screws from Hogue. One of them is incredibly soft and stripped after being put on and off twice. Anyone know someone close to Woburn/Stoneham that could remove it? I lack the tools and the skills to do it without damaging the grips. This is on a 1911.

I'm not close to you but I had a similar problem and ended up buying some screw extractors from Sears that worked well. They are cheap and will come in handy. Just drill the correct size hole into the screw head and use a small tap handle (a small Vise grip could work) with the extractor to bite into and back the screw out. I have two kinds but I liked the one that is a tapered spiral the best.

I'm not close to you but I had a similar problem and ended up buying some screw extractors from Sears that worked well. They are cheap and will come in handy. Just drill the correct size hole into the screw head and use a small tap handle (a small Vise grip could work) with the extractor to bite into and back the screw out. I have two kinds but I liked the one that is a tapered spiral the best.

I am in Lynn and could probably do it for you, if you like. Might even have and extra grip screw or two hanging around.

No work for me tomorrow, so drop me a PM if interested.

Is there any slot at all left on the grip?

It's a hex head screw, there is some left I guess, but not enough to dig into and it is between sizes now for all the hex bits that I have.
Big Daddy, thank you for the offer, tomorrow won't work, but maybe we can work out a time where we can do it.

I would think that the gunsmith at Four Seasons could do it too. IIRC, he's there in the early mornings, but a call to FS first would be best.

Many thanks to Big Daddy 45acp for meeting me at MRA last night and removing the screw in 30 seconds with an "Easy out." Now I just need to get these grips ambi-cut...

Many thanks to Big Daddy 45acp for meeting me at MRA last night and removing the screw in 30 seconds with an "Easy out." Now I just need to get these grips ambi-cut...

You are very welcome!
It's always a pleasure to help someone, as long as they learn a little bit along the way.
Good luck with that bushing!

The next time you encounter a buggered slotted screw, before going to extreme measures, hunt around for a "damaged screw extractor." This looks like an ordinary slotted screwdriver, but it has two hardened and sharpened points at the ends of the blade (almost looks like a "spanner nut" remover). In use, you insert the tip into the slot as best you can and give the handle a couple of taps. Often this is sufficient to dig the points into the screw metal sufficiently to allow the screw to be turned out.

Back
Top Bottom