Smith or Bushy

OK decided this week I will pull the trigger on a new AR shorty, but cant decide between the Smith and wesson Flattop or the Bushmaster Flattop. Both have basically the same right down to twist in barell so what one?

I've been shopping AR's for a short while now, and have asked myself the same question. One thing that I would factor in my decision is that S&W is in Springfield MA, and if for any reason it has to go back to the factory, I can drive it there and drop it off as opposed to having to ship a firearm.

Well Get this shit. Not only do I live down the road from Smith, but I have a summer place in Windham Me. About 5 min from thier plant. I am leaning to the Smith however, but still really need to figure out which one I get.

I sent a Bushmaster back to Bushmaster in Maine for some upgrades a few months back, they did what I asked for and then some and then reduced the price! I was very happy. I own both, Bushmaster's, Smith's, Armalite's. I think the Bushy's are a good rifle, never gave me any problems.....

Have you thought about buying an assembled upper and building the lower? It's not difficult at all. Not to mention the satisfaction of saying you built it.

I have thought of assembling one myself, but I really like the Idea of being able to send it in for service if needed. However decision is now made.. I am going with the smith and now off to buy it.

there are brand whores in every product. ford vs chevy etc. i have had several bushmasters and still have 2 m4's they are good rifles. now i personally don't buy assembled rifles. i like to build exactly what i want.

there are brand whores in every product. ford vs chevy etc. i have had several bushmasters and still have 2 m4's they are good rifles. now i personally don't buy assembled rifles. i like to build exactly what i want.

I'm in agreement, I have a Bushmaster and haven't had any problems* with it.

*ETA: Pre-ban mags aside.

There certainly are, but this is not a Ford/Chevy type of comparison....Comparing a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 to a Bushmaster, is a bit like comparing a Ford Mustang GT to a Chevy Cavalier....Both cars run, but the Mustang is built to a different standard, (obviously). Handle the two side-by side. Look at the differences in overall build quality, internals, barrels, accuracy, fit, form, function...Blindfolded, you can tell the difference. The Smith and Wesson is a superior weapon in every way, shape and form - end of story. Bushmaster owners may indeed have a rifle that "runs great", but Smith and Wesson owners have a rifle that "is great"... Truth hurts...

Last edited:
There certainly are, but this is not a Ford/Chevy type of comparison....Comparing a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 to a Bushmaster, is a bit like comparing a Ford Mustang GT to a Chevy Cavalier....Both cars run, but the Mustang is built to a different standard, (obviously). Handle the two side-by side. Look at the differences in overall build quality,
internals, barrels, accuracy, fit, form, function...Blindfolded, you can tell the difference. The Smith and Wesson is a superior weapon in every way, shape and form - end of story. Bushmaster owners may indeed have a rifle that "runs great", but Smith and Wesson owners have a rifle that "is great"... Truth hurts...

the machineshop i worked at previously cut upper recievers for Bushmaster, Colt, Smith, some Stag and Remington. all were cut on the same machine with the same program and the same colt print.

the machineshop i worked at previously cut upper recievers for Bushmaster, Colt, Smith, some Stag and Remington. all were cut on the same machine with the same program and the same colt print.

Take the test....Uppers is not the rifle. The lowers on the Smith and Wesson are so obviously more robust that literally in the dark, you can feel the difference. The barrels are also built to a higher standard, as are the BCG and trigger...I'm not making this up - I've actually compared the two in person, on the range and on paper...The stock Smith and Wesson eclipses the stock Bushmaster. Drop a BCG from a Bushy, then do the same on a S&W - take a look and tell me what you see. Look at the barrel - the build, finish, rifling and tell me what you see. Squeeze the triggers, send some lead downrange - be objective and you'll see what I mean....
PatMcD said:
I'd whichever one I could get cheaper. You won't see any difference in function or on paper

That statement is total nonsense...You haven't a clue as to what you're talking about....

Last edited:
Well Range report on it is fantastic. The Smith is really a sweet ride. At 200 yds it held 2 moa with cheep PMC. I am thrilled at how this rifle is fit and finnished. Seems to be a keeper.

What about Remsport Mfg. We can do a gun to your spec. It may be less or at least in the same price range and it will not be an off the rack gun, but something just for you.
Stop in to check us out and you can even pick out the parts for your new gun. We also have a better warranty the most companies . We warranty for defects for as long as you own the gun.
John
413 579 1994

Back
Top Bottom