Smith and Wesson M&P

noob question here:
Can anyone elaborate on what is done when a gun gets a "trigger job" if it is different from installing different trigger parts..

Aaron[MA];726173 said:
noob question here:
Can anyone elaborate on what is done when a gun gets a "trigger job" if it is different from installing different trigger parts..

PM Greg Derr he is a well known gunsmith who is a Dealer on this board, or visit his web site: www.derrprecision.com

Aaron[MA];726173 said:
noob question here:

Do as C-X states and you'll get a complete answer.

Generally speaking (I'm not a gunsmith and Greg just did 2 of my M&Ps):

- They smooth out the action by polishing surfaces that hit/rub other surfaces,

- They shave off (not a proper term, but gets the point across) some metal, round some edges, etc.

All of this needs to be done very carefully so that the gun maintains:

- safety,
- reliability,
- repeatability.

HTH

Well here is my range report.
Shot all at 50 yrds, I did ok at the start all in the black, good groupings.
Then went to my next target and everything was out of the black about a couple inches directly below where I had my sights pointed at. Is this due to the heavy trigger and when I pull it the barrel is dropping down?

It's a very light gun and the .40 is a very bouncy round. You don't have a whole lot of steel in the M&P to absorb the recoil so you might be anticipating. Slip a snap cap randomly in your mag when you go to the range and then see where you're pointing when you get to it - you may find yourself aniticpating - I know I did. It was humbling [smile] here I was shooting a measly 9 and anticipating. If you're not used to shooting polymer it's a lot different but you get used to it with practice.

I love mine now. Very comfortable pistol to shoot and points very naturally for me.

PM Greg Derr he is a well known gunsmith who is a Dealer on this board, or visit his web site: www.derrprecision.com

Thanks Cross and Lens too!

I have shot both a full size and a compact M&P (friend's - both 9mm) and can agree that the triggers were annoying - to the point I took the gun off my list of possible future purchases. Guess it might be worth another look. Maybe I can get my buddy to get one or both of his modified and try them out again.

Sorry one more question: Would an M&P with a trigger job done still be Mass compliant? I thought it would be, but my friend thinks not.

Aaron[MA];726627 said:
Sorry one more question: Would an M&P with a trigger job done still be Mass compliant? I thought it would be, but my friend thinks not.

Technically, no. If you have a trigger job done on an M&P that reduces the trigger pull to less than 10 pounds, it is no longer compliant with 940 CMR 16.05 and a dealer would no longer be able to transfer it to a MA resident. This wouldn't affect private sales, however.

What about if said M&P were involved in a shooting and police preformed a ballistics test on the gun? My friend insists the owner would be in trouble for having modified the trigger to make it easier to discharge a bullet...

There are plenty of NES'rs with trigger jobs on their M&Ps. NES Members ($19/yr) get to attend NES Shoots where they get to play with each others' guns, decide what they like and don't like, etc.

The 10# trigger counts when a dealer makes an initial sale (new gun), but I am unaware of any MA dealer who tests their used guns before selling them. In most cases they don't know if the gun has a trigger job or not. I bought an M&P with a trigger job already done on it, thru a MA FFL. The dealer only put it in his book and out again on the book, did the 4473 and FA-10 and we were done. He never pulled the trigger, never mind put a trigger gauge on it.

In a self-defense issue, you'll have much bigger issues to deal with than trigger jobs. A good attorney can make a case for you that all that stuff is crap and shouldn't be considered against you . . . assuming you had a legal right to using deadly force to begin with.

IANAL and YMMV

Aaron[MA];726679 said:
What about if said M&P were involved in a shooting and police preformed a ballistics test on the gun? My friend insists the owner would be in trouble for having modified the trigger to make it easier to discharge a bullet...

Not in and of itself. I suppose a prosecutor could attempt to make a case that your modifying the gun was negligent because it recklessly endangered people, but that seems like a stretch unless the case was about a negligent discharge, and there's certainly nothing statutorily illegal about doing a trigger job like that.

The 10# trigger counts when a dealer makes an initial sale (new gun), but I am unaware of any MA dealer who tests their used guns before selling them. In most cases they don't know if the gun has a trigger job or not. I bought an M&P with a trigger job already done on it, thru a MA FFL. The dealer only put it in his book and out again on the book, did the 4473 and FA-10 and we were done. He never pulled the trigger, never mind put a trigger gauge on it.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of cases of this happening. While it's technically illegal for the dealer to do it, I'd be willing to bet it's unlikely to hit the AGs radar as they're more concerned with new and 'stock configuration' sales.

Potential stupid question warning:

Do S&W 1911's sold in MA also have the 10-ton trigger? Or can they get away with lighter triggers because of the external safety? What's the trigger on a 1911 like?

I THINK they don't as the rule is 10lbs or requiring a second action to fire. Since 1911's are SA with a manual safety I don't THINK the rule applies to them but I'm not 100% on that.

I THINK they don't as the rule is 10lbs or requiring a second action to fire. Since 1911's are SA with a manual safety I don't THINK the rule applies to them but I'm not 100% on that.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Hoping a MA 1911 owner will chime in with specifics.

What about Ruger .22's? The Mark III's have all the MA safety crap on them, I can't imagine these have 10-pound triggers, no?

They absolutely do not have the 10 round trigger as they require a series of multiple motions in order to fire.

Potential stupid question warning:

Do S&W 1911's sold in MA also have the 10-ton trigger? Or can they get away with lighter triggers because of the external safety? What's the trigger on a 1911 like?

My S&W 1911PD Tac has a 4.5lb trigger pull after about 1500 rounds.

On another note I tried out my buddies M&P 45 4.5" barrel with the safety installed tonight. The trigger pull measured right around 10lbs, and was a bit gritty. Of course it's brand new as he picked it up yesterday. Even with the trigger pull the gun is very sweet to shoot. I'll definitely be picking one up when they become available everywhere in this state.

My S&W 1911PD Tac has a 4.5lb trigger pull after about 1500 rounds.

On another note I tried out my buddies M&P 45 4.5" barrel with the safety installed tonight. The trigger pull measured right around 10lbs, and was a bit gritty. Of course it's brand new as he picked it up yesterday. Even with the trigger pull the gun is very sweet to shoot. I'll definitely be picking one up when they become available everywhere in this state.

I was playing with one yesterday and the one I was shooting felt even lighter then that - almost too light. I know you're supposed to be suprised when the trigger breaks, but...[laugh]

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Hoping a MA 1911 owner will chime in with specifics.

What about Ruger .22's? The Mark III's have all the MA safety crap on them, I can't imagine these have 10-pound triggers, no?

I have a S&W 1911 I got slightly used from Four Seasons. I asked someone at another shop to measure the trigger pull, he said it was at 4 lbs, but I think it is less than that, it is like a target trigger. Any less weight and it would be scary.

Good news! You CAN buy a Glock!

(snip)

Overall, until i can get another Glock (when i move to NH in a few years) i'm going to keep using the M&P's.

There is no reason you cannot buy more Glocks here in MA. No need to wait "a few years" till you move out of MA. (Not that moving out is a bad idea) [smile]

Go to http://www.fsguns.com/glocks.html and shop to your heart's desire. [grin]

A MA DEALER (FFL) cannot sell you a NEW Glock but you can legally purchase and own one. It's just a matter of finding one.

Welcome to the insanity that is the MA firearms laws. According to our AG a Glock produced last week is unacceptable for sale, but the exact same model produced 18 years ago is perfectly fine. It's a safety issue you know. [rolleyes]

Correct. All 1st and 2nd generation and even some third generation Glocks are legal for sale by MA FFLs, and privately held Glocks are 100% legal and transferrable as well. If you want one, you can have one.

Can you purchase a new Glock in a different state that does not require permits for pistol sales, say Georgia, and take it home with you and be legal? Does that work?

after the trigger job it's a great gun, g/f used it at front sight last weekend and it survived the entire course without being cleaned once without a single hiccup. wins my approval.

Only if you are curious about daily life in federal prison [wink]. You can't purchase any handgun across state lines unless the purchase is through an FFL in your state of residence, or it is a C&R handgun and you have your 03 FFL.

I recommend the M&P 40. The trigger does take some getting used to. It seems to be one of the longest trigger pulls I have personally experienced, but if that bothers you a gunsmith can adjust the length of the pull a little as well as take down the 10+lb trigger to something more comfortable. Also, I purchased a Stormlake conversion barrel along with a few M&P 9 mags and now shoot 9mm through my M&P 40 flawlessly, and I save money by setting aside the .40S&W ammo for a range day.

Edit: I should have read the date of the OP. My 2 cents seems a little worthless now. Delayed response, what can I say!

Last edited:
I have a M&P .45 non-mass trigger which is great. I have an M&P 9 with Mass trigger which is aweful. Will be sent out for trigger job.

I recommend the M&P 40. The trigger does take some getting used to. It seems to be one of the longest trigger pulls I have personally experienced, but if that bothers you a gunsmith can adjust the length of the pull a little as well as take down the 10+lb trigger to something more comfortable. Also, I purchased a Stormlake conversion barrel along with a few M&P 9 mags and now shoot 9mm through my M&P 40 flawlessly, and I save money by setting aside the .40S&W ammo for a range day.

Edit: I should have read the date of the OP. My 2 cents seems a little worthless now. Delayed response, what can I say!

Have you tried 9mm in the .40 mags?

Also, do you know if a full size M&P barrel will fit and function in an M&Pc?

Back
Top Bottom