Smith and Wesson 59 x59 590x alloy frame wear

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
I've seen it mentioned in a few places (not NES) that the alloy frame on these may wear making the slide loose. The comments appear to be a concern, not that the poster actually saw this. Also, at one point I had a 59 and while you could tell it was well used, the amount of play between the slide and frame was inconsequential.

Has anyone actually seen first hand one of these where frame wear was an issue?

I ask because I'm planning to buy one and may have to do it based on pictures alone. Which I won't do if this is a common problem.

I know the 5906 has a steal frame so this wouldn't be a problem, but it also doesn't have the adjustable sight.

And before anyone says it, Yes I know there are "better" guns, I'll buy one of those too. But for now I'm looking for some first hand info and I couldn't think of any place better to find it than NES.

Thanks all

First, I don't think that there are "better" guns out there, but that might depend on your intended use. The 5906 is built like a tank, so as you note it's not a problem.
As long as you use a good quality grease on the rails, you'll get thousands and thousands of rounds out of any 3rd generation S&W alloy semi auto. I use Lubriplate 105, but others use other brands and types of lubes. The key is to put a little on the rails and also the lugs on the frame where the barrel rides. And the lug on the top of the slide where the barrel fits in as well.

Don't over lube.

Keep in mind that you probably don't need adjustable sights on these guns. At least I've never felt the need.

Gen3 Smiths are very good firearms. I had a 5943 DAO with the aluminum alloy frame. I bought it used as it was originally issued to a sheriff's dept., so it had seen a good amount of use. I used it for training students, and maybe another 3 - 4,000 rounds went through it. I sold it this year and it was still as tight as the day I bought it. I also bought a new 5906TSW that never had a FTF. In addition, you can still buy 15-round pre-ban mags for these guns at a reasonable price between $30 and $40. The 5906 is big, but not as big as a Beretta 92 FS. However, the 92 does have a longer barrel.

Thanks for the comments.

There was a time I was heavily into shooting, two FFLs, LTC MA, CC NH. This was before FFLs got expensive and you had to have a store-front. Most of what I did was transfers and special order for collectors. I did buy some really nice Russian SKSs. I kept 8 for a while, all were unfired and four had a green/white laminated stock. I have yet to talk to anyone who's even see the laminated stock. If anyone has one I might try to dig up the serial numbers, there can't be that many around and I'd be curious is any of the ones I got from Century Arms are still in the area. I regret that I had to sell them, but there were extenuating circumstances.

But I'm back in now and I need to rebuild my collection, the S&W 59 series is just the start.

Back
Top Bottom