smaller gear

SKS Ray

NES Member
Anyone have ideas for scaled down gear to make for more room in a bug out bag, not to mention easing the weight? I saw a few items people mentioned and was thinking stuff like Case Cutlery's Hobo Trapper that has a fork, knife, and spoon all in one knife. Its compact, light, and always together. Things like small and thin windproof lighters, super bright key chain flashlights w/extra batteries, etc. Theres lots of every day items to be used for survival purposes that can be found in small compact versions these days that work equally as well as their bigger, bulkier, and heavier versions.
Another thing (not sure if its been mentioned or not) is space saver bags that vaccum out air, compress clothing and blankets for more room, plus keep them dry. Could be used for meds and bandages too so they stay fresher and dry.

Last edited:
Good thoughts. Constantly thinking about your preps is what will make them better, and better. As for the Hobo Trapper. I think it would be small, though not much smaller and definitely not lighter than what I use. I picked up a set of Lexan utensils at Dicks Sporting Goods. I think it ran like $2.99 and is all held together with a ring, and weighs next to nothing.

I do like the idea about the space bags. I have been wanting to get a vacuum sealer for my kitchen anyway, and using something like that would be a good idea!

Another thing (not sure if its been mentioned or not) is space saver bags that vaccum out air, compress clothing and blankets for more room, plus keep them dry. Could be used for meds and bandages too so they stay fresher and dry.

EXCELLENT idea! That would sure save space in the car.

... I have been wanting to get a vacuum sealer for my kitchen anyway, and using something like that would be a good idea!

These things pay for themselves quickly when you buy food in bulk. The bags tend to be durable, I keep a change of clothes in my truck sealed up and tucked under the seat. I have a compact first aid kit packed this way in the backpack I use for hunting.

Back
Top Bottom