Slug recomendation for a non-rifled barrel

FLHTC

NES Member
Does anyone have a recomendation for a slug shot from a non rifled barrel?
I'll be using my Remington 1100 with a slug barrel.

Thanks

Wasn't there some sort of rifled choke available for some shotguns? It's just a few inches, but supposedly it would impart some spin?

Wasn't there some sort of rifled choke available for some shotguns? It's just a few inches, but supposedly it would impart some spin?

Wont work in a smoothbore slug barrel, no where to screw in the choke. You have to us those in a bird barrel.

what choke is suitable for shooting a rifled slug?

Improved cylinder ideally or modified.

Thanks

They are pretty cheap. Buy a few brands and after you sight in your gun shoot groups with each type and see which ones your gun groups best with. I have used federals, winchesters, remingtons and brennekes all with good results.

Slugs

Suggest, as someone above said, to try several brands and see what works best in your rig. Winchesters worked best in my Ithaca 37 but I tried Remington Sluggers, Brenneke, Federal and Federal TruBalls, etc. And I have found nothing better that drops a deer flat when hit with a .73 cal 1 oz slug...

Thanks

I use a rifle-sighted, 20" smoothbore barrel on my Remington 870 12-gauge for slugs. I have had the best results with Winchester Super-X rifled slugs, although the Remington "Sluggers" also performed well. You may also want to check out the Activ brand. One of my co-workers uses these in his 1100 12-gauge for deer and has had good results over the years.

Are the Activ shells still all plastic?
I used Activ slugs about 20 years ago and had problems with ejection.
The plastic base covers a steel disc that forms the rim.
My 1100 was ripping the rim and leaving the spent cartridge in the chamber.
Havent used them since.
Maybe they have changed the design since then, I cant imagine I was the only person having that problem.

Back
Top Bottom