Slipped a disk in my back (i think?)

Hey all,

I popped something in my lower back in june doing some over-zealous dynamic clandestine crossfit operations. I was just a normal back strain ive done it before, few days on the couch no big deal. It healed up pretty well, after about 2 weeks I was pretty much good to go, but still taking it easy until I had a APFT test for the military about 3-4 weeks after the initial injury. Did the PT test, passed, but back was pretty sore after that, by the end of that week I was in rough shape, serious sciatic nerve pain shooting down the back of my left thigh any time I did anything, and lower back pain. Military has documented it, and im seeing a physical therapist and they've been making progress, also have an MRI scheduled for sept 8th, so I should have an official diagnosis but for now everything im told/have read is indicating a slipped/herniated disk in my L4/L5 sacrum area. Im not the most impatient person in the world, but im the most impatient person in the world, nobody has been able to give me an idea on how long it'll be before im back to being able to train regularly and im going insane. Im not going to rush into anything, that lesson has been learned.

I cant be the only guy to ever hurt themselves stupidly like this, anybody have any tips on easing back into a training regimen after this injury? Have you or anybody you know hurt themselves like this? How long did your recovery take? Did you ever get back to 100%?

Thanks all

Hands on your hips, legs straight and spread slightly...slow and easy pelvic thrust...stretch only to the point that it is not comfortable...don't over do it...slow and steady....you may even feel a pop the first time.

Hands on hips do a gentle roll of the hips...Circular motion...again very slow....do not be aggressive it will make it worse.

When you can, slow gentle stretches...let your hands dangle in front of you like your trying to stretch for your toes...again slow do not make jerking motions....

As you get better you want to do excesses that strengthen your core....stay away from the cross fit crap for awhile...going to take time.

Will you be 100% probably more than you are not...again as you get better...its all about core strength, building muscles that compensates for your back.

Opinions may vary but this is what I have done in the past......

Last edited:
Does the nuerostimulator work well? they're talking to my wife about one

In my case it has been a godsend for the areas that it covers. I had the first one for nine years at which point it is "end of life" and it will turn itself off.

The new unit is smaller and more versatile. Mine has an Active Stim mode where it will change the stimulation based on your physical position.

There is a time commitment up front for her to learn how it works and multiple re-programming sessions to get the most out of her unit as they are very customizable. My lead that has the contacts has 4 sets of contacts side by side so there are eight contacts and each contact can be made positive or negative.

ST Jude recently came out with an new approach that is supposed to be better and is worth looking into. Both of mine have been Medtronic.

http://media.sjm.com/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/2016/St-Jude-Medical-Announces-FDA-Approval-of-a-New-Treatment-Therapy-for-Patients-Suffering-From-Chronic-Intractable-Pain/default.aspx

http://www.neuromodulation.com/DRG

Feel free to drop me a PM if I can be of any assistance.

Bob

A couple questions:

Are you overweight?

Do you work a deskjob?

If yes to either, some lifestyle modification is right up your alley (i.e. weight loss and standing desk/walking breaks). Either way, your paraspinal muscles need to handle its load.

My advice is to be as conservative as possible. You're a young dude and the last thing you need to is get sucked into the healthcare system. Ice pack directly over the affected area, and also get a lacrosse ball and lie your back over it (youtube how to do this).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JRS8ZM0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <--This thing is great, and hits both sides of your erector spinae muscles
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2IJP3O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <--use this is the lacrosse ball is too hard

Best of luck man. Keep stretching and keep the back moving.
I don't know if you are a doctor but until he has a definite diagnosis I wouldn't give any suggestions. My surgeon is one of the top spine surgeons in the country and he says weight isn't a concern. I lost over 50 pounds and it didn't affect my pain level at all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My surgeon is one of the top spine surgeons in the country and he says weight isn't a concern. I lost over 50 pounds and it didn't affect my pain level at all.
I said all those things based on his age and history he gave. But you're right, a confirmed diagnosis must come first.

Be very careful until you have a firm diagnosis. I was the type of person that always said the pain will go away. I now have L1-S1 fused with hardware and am going in Tuesday for a myelogram because I am having horrible pain in my lower back and front of my thigh. Everyday I wake up and my first thought is how will I get through today. My life hasn't been the same since I fell in november 2002.

can't over-emphasize a medical diagnosis first. make sure there is nothing physically wrong. bulging disc etc. i suffered with back pain from the age of 21 to almost 50. no physical deformations diagnosed, no surgery reccomended, go to a chiro, stretch, blah,blah,blah. i ended up buying an inversion table.

now 61 and anytime i feel a hint of discomfort i spend 15-20 minutes over 2 mornings on the table and i'm good to go.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN AN OSTEO M.D FIRST

Also, don't get an inversion table just yet. Wait until all the PT is done and you have fully healed. You don't slip discs, you rupture them. When the disc ruptures, it is like squishing out the jelly in a donut, but it fills up the area of the spine whoch has all the good stuff like nerves, arteries, and did I say nerves?
Done it three times, no fun.

Every one of these things is a little different and until you have a diagnosis from a credible physician you really don't know what you've got. The good news is that imaging technology today is so good that it's a pretty straightforward exercise to get a diagnosis. Until you have one, light duty is a must. From my own experiences with this stuff I found that a "herniated disc" was so painful that I could barely walk. So if you are stiff and sore, but not in serious PAIN that just doesn't go away, then I'd bet it's not a ruptured or herniated disc but something else (and there are plenty of "something elses" this could be). Get a diagnosis as soon as you can, avoid all the good-intentioned kibitzing you are getting from friends and family, and then take action once you know what you have.

Every one of these things is a little different and until you have a diagnosis from a credible physician you really don't know what you've got. The good news is that imaging technology today is so good that it's a pretty straightforward exercise to get a diagnosis. Until you have one, light duty is a must. From my own experiences with this stuff I found that a "herniated disc" was so painful that I could barely walk. So if you are stiff and sore, but not in serious PAIN that just doesn't go away, then I'd bet it's not a ruptured or herniated disc but something else (and there are plenty of "something elses" this could be). Get a diagnosis as soon as you can, avoid all the good-intentioned kibitzing you are getting from friends and family, and then take action once you know what you have.

+1

Anyone with a problem like this check out the Spine Center at Emerson and see Dr. James Spinelli. I understand the Spine Center at Emerson has achieved outstanding results in some cases. Worth looking into.

Whenever someone says "slipped disc" these days, the first thing I think of is Crossfit. Why is that?

Ruptured a disc in my 30s. With exercise and a very good chiropractor, I was OK until my early 60s. I did heavy work but working bent over is what finally did me in. Chiropractor could no longer give me relief and advised me to get a MRI.

Diagnosis was Spinal Stinosis. In Dec 2012 I had surgery at MGH by a very good Neurosurgeon with no fusion, Still going back wise several tears later with no problems except the occasional twinge.

From my experience, stay away from muscle relaxers most MDs prescribe. For me it made the healing process take longer. There are low impact exercises you can do. Find a good Chiropractor or Physical Therapist that will treat you properly.

If the time comes for surgery, see a Neurosurgeon, not an Orthopedic Doc. Just my opinion

I had the same problem at 25 had a disc removed at l4 l5 and my recovery was all of a year but the surgeon also ripped my spinal cord removing the disc. I still have pain after a hard day at work, cold weather, damp weather... days ending in y...

I popped something in my lower back in june doing some over-zealous dynamic clandestine crossfit operations.

Did you actually hear or feel a pop?

If you did you might want to read up on your sacroiliac joints.

I had a bad fall skiing at age 28, my pelvis smacked onto a patch of solid ice and I entered a new era of SI joint-related pain. Lots of sciatica in the early years with very severe pain down the back of my right leg.

Big Medicine is very weak in treating lower back/pelvis related pain. Talk to your MD about sacroiliac joint instability and her eyes will glaze over as Big Medicine doesn't really think that's even a thing.

The golden rule imho is be conservative, be very, very conservative. Any kind of surgery is an absolute last resort. What has helped me most over the years is cutting out sugar, particularly HFCS, to reduce inflammation, prescription-strength NSAIDs, skeletal muscle relaxants and finding a good chiropractor.

update on this, the official diagnosis was bulding l5/s1 disc pushing into nerves running down my left leg. Fought the pain and did PT/yoga etc for a year, even managed to pass APFT with it. I finally caved and scheduled surgery and got a laminectomy/discectomy done a week ago today. I walked out of the hospital an our after the operation, im now already pretty much the off muscle relaxers and pain meds and mobile again. I already feel better, just taking it very easy as i know im at extreme risk of re-herniating it if i rush into things too quickly.

$87,000 operation. All i can say is im pretty pumped to get back to a somewhat normal life again.

update on this, the official diagnosis was bulding l5/s1 disc pushing into nerves running down my left leg. Fought the pain and did PT/yoga etc for a year, even managed to pass APFT with it. I finally caved and scheduled surgery and got a laminectomy/discectomy done a week ago today. I walked out of the hospital an our after the operation, im now already pretty much the off muscle relaxers and pain meds and mobile again. I already feel better, just taking it very easy as i know im at extreme risk of re-herniating it if i rush into things too quickly.

$87,000 operation. All i can say is im pretty pumped to get back to a somewhat normal life again.
Ouch I had the same operation done by DR marcovicci but it only cost me $500 out of pocket, insurance covered the rest. This was about 7yrs ago.

Eta: Doh! Just saw your update. Glad you're doing better!

I just turned 30.

Welcome to the rest of your life.

Do not push it.
Get a real diagnosis now. Don't accept it's probably this, most people go their whole life with this sort of injury and don't even know it, blah blah blah.
The way I finally got a solid diagnosis for my L4-L5, L5-S1 was from an orthopedic surgeon... in my kitchen when my brother and some friends were visiting years after my injury.
If it's torn and bulging, rest first, again, don't push it, then PT and not doing stupid shit again will likely be all you need. If you shot the center out of the disk out, whole different ball game. That to the best of my knowledge, can not ever truly heal. The disk is essentially dead at that point and surgery or learning to live with it are your only options. If you need surgery, I have heard that outcomes are much better if the injury is more recent.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Good to hear,still doing crossfit ? I deliver all the Rogue Fitness stuff to all the crossfit places and see these guys/girls working out..Doesn't look safe at all,the pullups look completely retarded and seem like a lower back injury waiting to happen.Matter of fact,the majority of those exercises are a back problem waiting to happen.

My ACL/meniscus on Sep 11th was $66k,so far with PT and xrays,MRI and everything associated $82k.Learning to walk again is fun !

Hey all,

I popped something in my lower back in june doing some over-zealous dynamic clandestine crossfit operations. I was just a normal back strain ive done it before, few days on the couch no big deal. It healed up pretty well, after about 2 weeks I was pretty much good to go, but still taking it easy until I had a APFT test for the military about 3-4 weeks after the initial injury. Did the PT test, passed, but back was pretty sore after that, by the end of that week I was in rough shape, serious sciatic nerve pain shooting down the back of my left thigh any time I did anything, and lower back pain. Military has documented it, and im seeing a physical therapist and they've been making progress, also have an MRI scheduled for sept 8th, so I should have an official diagnosis but for now everything im told/have read is indicating a slipped/herniated disk in my L4/L5 sacrum area. Im not the most impatient person in the world, but im the most impatient person in the world, nobody has been able to give me an idea on how long it'll be before im back to being able to train regularly and im going insane. Im not going to rush into anything, that lesson has been learned.

I cant be the only guy to ever hurt themselves stupidly like this, anybody have any tips on easing back into a training regimen after this injury? Have you or anybody you know hurt themselves like this? How long did your recovery take? Did you ever get back to 100%?

Thanks all

First try metacarbamoxol probably didn't spell it right. However I did something stupid couldn't walk at all. Actually cried I was in so much pain hospital gave me Percocet, it did nothing. That shit cleared me up in an hour.

Second god speed. Back injuries and knee injuries suck.

Is this the same type operation they keep advertising on tv from the Laser Spine Clinic? One hour operation and back to work the next day with only a 1” incision?

I’ve been thinking of getting it done but if that’s what it costs I’ll suffer a few more years.

I was run over (literally) by a large and very heavy truck in 04, herniated discs at both ends of the spine and now every couple months I get a nerve pinched/crushed in my lower back that feels like I’m being f***ing stabbed, lasts’ for days until the muscle relaxers help it get released from the pinch then the radiating pain continues from the inflammation for another 2 weeks.

Always unexpected, and always (so far) from simply bending over (reaching in the fridge, tying my boots, picking something up off the floor etc). It’s immediate severe pain and I’m hobbled for days from it.

One thing I have found, and so far so good (knock on wood) is this silly handle bar shaped contraption from The Shark Tank called Lo-Back Trax, cost me about $30.00 and since I’ve started using it to stretch my lower back and core muscles I thank God that it hasn’t happened again (yet). But the stretch it gives is akin to a gravity machine except you’re just laying flat on the floor. Same concept.

Regardless, worst pain ever pinching/crushing a nerve in your back. I’d seriously rather be run over again than feel that shit.

Glad you’re feeling better!

can't over-emphasize a medical diagnosis first. make sure there is nothing physically wrong. bulging disc etc. i suffered with back pain from the age of 21 to almost 50. no physical deformations diagnosed, no surgery reccomended, go to a chiro, stretch, blah,blah,blah. i ended up buying an inversion table.

now 61 and anytime i feel a hint of discomfort i spend 15-20 minutes over 2 mornings on the table and i'm good to go.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN AN OSTEO M.D FIRST
Get your MRI then +1on the inversion table. Be consistent with it till things relax.
Many people have a “ bulging” disc to some degree
Once that disc touches a nerve in your spine ( usually doing something physical, but not necessarily) it hurts... a lot.
Your muscles tighten up and your body self splints. That’s why you feel stiff with LROM. Your body doesn’t want you to hurt it anymore so it freezes you up.
Standard treatment is muscle relaxer and nsaids to reduce the swelling/ stiffness.
If your disc is not blasted out of the disc space too much, alot of times the inversion table can help open the disc space a bit and let the disc retract off the nerve. It’s like having a charlie horse. Even after it’s over, the calf still hurts for a while.
It’s still going to take time and the medication to ease the symptoms 2-12 weeks depending.
Go with ANY invasive intervention as a last resort, when you can no longer take the pain or are crippled and have no choice.
Who has the time, but a vast majority of these lumbar injuries will respond to rest.
6 months out,the end results for rest versus surgery are pretty similar.
Being impatient will not serve you well in the long run. A good neuro doc won’t push surgery as a first option.
They know if pain gets too bad, you’ll beg for it.
Bottom line once you find out for sure that your not going to die from that disc, see above.
Give it your best shot. You will be happier for it no matter what happens,knowing you tried.
My thumbs are tired
Good luck

Ps
May be counter intuitive, but ice helps initially to reduce swelling.
Heat feels better, but it just draws fluid to the area and cause more swelling and more pain in my experience

Back
Top Bottom