SKS question

Lucas

NES Member
I'm new to the Military Surplus scene and have a C&R license that needs to be broken in. A SKS is what I've decided to get and I have a question. I'm trying to get an idea of the value and quality of a SKS based on what country it came from. There is a Romanian SKS with matching numbers in very good to excellent condition from 1958-59 @ $350.00 that I can purchase. It seems high, but I've noticed the prices have climbed steeply since the election. Is a Romanian SKS worth purchasing or should I hold out for another country or a different year of manufacture ? I could use some advice.

M4M should be along shortly.

I bought a Yugo SKS with my C&R and it's been great. Lots of cleaning was in order when it first arrived. Make sure your firing pin channel is clean and free.

Last edited:
M4M should be along shortly.

I bought a Yugo SKS with my C&R and it's been great. Lots of cleaning was in order when it first arrived. Make sure you firing pin channel is clean and free.

Yep M4M will chime in as the resident expert on these. +1 on the Yugo. It was my first semi auto rifle and I spent a good amount of time cleaning it up and getting all the cosmo off of it. Great rifle. Not sure, but I think the Yugos are going for around $200-$250.

I paid about $180 something shipped from blahblahblah. (sorry, no naming distributors). It was advertised as "very good" condition, but I'd say it's closer to excellant. Plenty of little dings in the stock, and some minor pitting on the underside and face of the bolt, that's about it.

It seems like the price of Yugo's are climbing too. A look at some of the places I can use my C&R at have prices $250.00 and up, but they don't have any in stock. Even the auction sites are around that price for anything with matching numbers and a decent stock. That's why I'm wondering if a Romanian built model is worth another $75.00-$100.00 more.

Romanians are a little more rare and have only been imported here and there. Thats why they're getting so much opposed to the Yugos plus all SKS rifles are going up in price these days because they're on a proposed ban list. Quality of the rifle itself depends on the grade you get. I returned one a while back at the standard price ($250 I think it was) becuase I just didn't think it was worth it. I've gotten "gunsmith special" and "U Fix Em" grade rifles that were in better condition.

I have heard though that a select bunch were setting aside for matching numbers and condition and if I were to buy one now thats the one I'd go with. Remember... with most distributors you can always send it back if the condition isn't what you want. I wouldn't buy from one that didn't accept returns.

As for the rifle's overall quality regarding which country manufactured it, they're pretty much the same from what I've noticed with Albanian models sometimes being poor in features but I think thats due to shabby workmanship.

The biggest things I tell anyone when buying their first SKS is to stay away from un-issued Yugos if they don't think they can handle the complete take down and degreasing and stay away from fair or good condition Yugos because the gas tubes are often worn from corrosive ammo use and lack of proper cleaning in the field.

But if you feel you can handle the disassembly and cleaning, an un-issued or excelent condition Yugo is the way to go because some of them were made as late as the late 1980s and are mint inside and out.

I have 2 Romanians. They shoot great and I won't get rid of them, plus I looked too long to find real Romanian slings.[grin]

Romi3.jpg

I was looking at my Yugo SKS last night, and I continue to be amazed at what I got for the money. This thing is all-matching, with perfect wood, perfect bluing, and perfect barrel.

And I paid $159 for it three years ago.

Unbelievable!

I'm going to order it. I didn't think about the return policy. If I don't like it I'll send it back. They have a 30 day no questions, no restocking policy. Sometimes when I hesitate on a purchase, and it passes by, I regret it later. I'll post some pictures when it comes in.

I have 2 Romanians. They shoot great and I won't get rid of them, plus I looked too long to find real Romanian slings.[grin]

Maybe you can share your source for slings? [smile]

My connection was Bob In St. Louis from Gunboards but he is all out of them now and as far as I know there are no more anywhere.[sad]

What would be a proper sling for a Romanian SKS? Leather with metal d-rings on the end? I've read some postings on other sites that a sling for a M44 is the same.

PM incoming

I may have an extra sling like in the link I sent you.
If you get a Romi SKS and decide to keep it... post pictures of it in the gallery or here and if I do have an extra, I'll give it to you free just because you bought an SKS.[wink]

Last edited:
Visit Stricklands in Berkeley, as of this last Saturday
he had a 2 yugos(one with the grenade launcher and one without) and a norinco, all priced 250 and under

Back
Top Bottom