SKS Fun-Shoot!

there are some nice pictures of SKS Rifles in the Family Album and i read all over this forum about everyone getting one from time to time, SO doe,s
everyone just collect them?? Or are there some of you that wants to enjoy
shooting their,s (for fun and half the pot) at a fun shoot in june? this shoot
is 10 shots Offhand-10 shots in any safe position (prone-siting-kneeling:)
so how-bout-it SUN June 16th

http://www.hhrg.com/

Sheriff Dudley

Myself and a friend that i've been telling about this forum were talking about having an SKS shoot just the other day. We're both New Bedford residents and SRGC members, and between the two of us could bring 8 guests to SRGC (Sippican Rod and Gun Club in Rochester, Mass.) for an SKS shoot.
We were thinking $10 a shooter with the winner getting half the pot and the other half going to the Sippican club for letting us use the grounds.
You folks up north would have to travel to meet us there but its a nice range with some friendly folks and no hard ass rules.
I myself have 4 SKS rifles, 2 Chinese (one thats tricked out with a sniper stock and one as issued), 1 Yugo, and 1 Russian. No restrictions on rifles be it stocks, sights, etc. as long as its open sights, no scopes, and shooting would either be at 50 or 100 yards. Myself I prefer 100.

Hi Lugnut the Kids shot at 50 Yds and hope you do come to some of our events, as far as the SKS-Shoot, well the numbers of participants have
declined in the last several years to about a dozen or so now, its a good
time, verry relaxed! OH Mil-4 we charge $8.00 entry and $5.00 to re-enter
( Shoot till you win) a buck off if you wear your old Military Head-gear,
Garrison Hat/C-Cap/ Bdu/ Helmet!! Etc: (North or South) Ha Ha Ha
so thats $7.00 entry, no-biggie just fun!!

Take Care. Sheriff Dudley s.a.s.s.#17925

sheriff dudley said:
Hi Lugnut the Kids shot at 50 Yds and hope you do come to some of our events, as far as the SKS-Shoot, well the numbers of participants have
declined in the last several years to about a dozen or so now, its a good
time, verry relaxed! OH Mil-4 we charge $8.00 entry and $5.00 to re-enter
( Shoot till you win) a buck off if you wear your old Military Head-gear,
Garrison Hat/C-Cap/ Bdu/ Helmet!! Etc: (North or South) Ha Ha Ha
so thats $7.00 entry, no-biggie just fun!!

Take Care. Sheriff Dudley s.a.s.s.#17925

I have marked my calendar! Hopefully I can pick up a few tricks.. the whole military rifle thing is new to me.

Hey Sheriff I hope to have my own to bring along for the shoot (applied C&R recently) but if not I will still love to come over and check out all the goodies... member of HHRG.... so just pop a reminder in this thread as it gets closer.

BTW June 16th is a Friday

Dand Al! I think Ed and I are doing a re-enactment that weekend or we'd be there.

Jay G and I went to the range on Saturday and had a good time. I'm quite pleased with how I shot my SKS at 50 yds. Infact...I took a pic of the target...I need to photobucket it and I'll post it.

SKS Fun Shoot

you are D-Pac June 16 is a Friday SOOOOOOOOO i think the web-site may
have to be fixt or i am looking at last years sched++ if so it must be the 18th
D-Pac were you at the Meeting tonight?? i know Lynne blew us off tonight
well Excuseeeeeeeeeeee us!! poopoopadoooo i guese we dont Rate!! but
she was missed! S.D.

P.S. i want to see that target sweetie! did ED do it or you? He He He,

S.D.

Lynne said:
Dand Al! I think Ed and I are doing a re-enactment that weekend or we'd be there.

Jay G and I went to the range on Saturday and had a good time. I'm quite pleased with how I shot my SKS at 50 yds. Infact...I took a pic of the target...I need to photobucket it and I'll post it.

Bolt-action SKS notwithstanding, it was an excellent time! I just finished cleaning the pistolas a few minutes ago... [hmmm]

Jay G said:
Bolt-action SKS notwithstanding, it was an excellent time! I just finished cleaning the pistolas a few minutes ago... [hmmm]

The one I sold you went single shot???? If so re-adjust the gas valve. Sometimes you need to set it before loading and firing the first shot to keep it semi auto.

sheriff dudley said:
D-Pac were you at the Meeting tonight??

S.D.

No I was not... those meetings are no match for Red Sox vs. Yankees
WOOT we won!!

I try to go every other month or so unless I need to bring something up. I still have not gotten my indoor range key after 2+ years ERRRR!!!!

Milsurps 4 Me said:
The one I sold you went single shot???? If so re-adjust the gas valve. Sometimes you need to set it before loading and firing the first shot to keep it semi auto.

It was firing single shot, with the bolt not coming back far enough to load the next round or eject the casing. I tried shooting it with the gas valve shut-off in several positions, from open to fully closed to partly closed. No dice.

There was an appreciable amount of resistance in pulling the bolt back. The other guy at the range thought it might be the spring binding. I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet and take a look.

I'm hoping to get a chance to take it apart tomorrow night (depending on how many guns I have to clean from tonight's visit to MRA with crackowski) but I might not get to it until Thursday. Once it's apart I should (I hope) be able to tell if it's a problem with the spring or something else (hopefully something easy...)

I'll keep you posted. It shoots like a dream, though - at 50 yards I was hitting pretty much dead on (and I was having trouble seeing the target at that distance!).

SKS Fun-shoot

D-Pac the only way to get an Electronic-Key for entry is at the Meeting
cause thay have to get your info to put in the computer to activate it!!

Sheriff dudley s.a.s.s. #17925

sheriff dudley said:
D-Pac the only way to get an Electronic-Key for entry is at the Meeting
cause thay have to get your info to put in the computer to activate it!!

Sheriff dudley s.a.s.s. #17925

Yup I have been hearing that for 2+ years LOL... everytime I go to a dam meeting the person who does it is not there.. or does not have them on him.. or some other excuse. I wonder what "info" they need thats not already on my application?

What distances are you shooting the sks's? I have a little chinese norinco paratrooper that shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100yds using the orginal chinese norinco ammo. I first found out it was that accurate by hitting little rocks on the berm while waiting for a cease fire to put out my target. I just couldn't wait to shoot the new little bugger.

I only take this paratrooper sks out on special occasions now. At one outing at a gun club i let the guy who invited us shoot ballons at 100yds with it. It made the other guys there who hate sks's leave right after that. Boy i can just feel the love when i take it out of the gun bag. I should say hatred for military surplus guns thats the problem. If your going to send them home send them home crying right? Don't get me wrong this isn't me I'm a product of the enviroment.

If your sks isn't cycling back far enough checkout your gas port hole it maybe clogged. I ran across a batch of yugo that shot plastic or rubber bullets and there was residue in the barrel and the gas port hole too. It was as hard as cement too. I put a gas port cleaning tool on a pair of vise grips to crank it thru the port to get it back open again. If you sks is having problems the gas port could be it.

Last edited:
SKS Fun-shoot

D-Pac Lynne is one of the Board Members maybe she has some pull to get your key?? or grab me at the range and i will get your Stats and i can get ahold of the guy with the key,s!! now you got options!!

Big Bill we shoot at 100Yds, 10 shots Offhand 10 shots any safe position,
prone, sit, kneel, lawn-chair etc: 60 yrs or older-scopes-ok

Take Care S.D. said Dat

BigBill,

I've never seen another Chinese paratrooper other than mine. Does it look like this?
sks.jpg

Mine has no import marks that I can find...like norinco, etc.

It's one straight shooting sonofagun.

Jay G said:
It was firing single shot, with the bolt not coming back far enough to load the next round or eject the casing. I tried shooting it with the gas valve shut-off in several positions, from open to fully closed to partly closed. No dice.

There was an appreciable amount of resistance in pulling the bolt back. The other guy at the range thought it might be the spring binding. I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet and take a look.

I'm hoping to get a chance to take it apart tomorrow night (depending on how many guns I have to clean from tonight's visit to MRA with crackowski) but I might not get to it until Thursday. Once it's apart I should (I hope) be able to tell if it's a problem with the spring or something else (hopefully something easy...)

I'll keep you posted. It shoots like a dream, though - at 50 yards I was hitting pretty much dead on (and I was having trouble seeing the target at that distance!).

PM sent with info on fixes for the bolt. I may have put the spring in backwards
after cleaning one night, or it could be theres a recoil buffer in there I may have forgot about. Let me know if the info I sent in the PM works.

sheriff dudley said:
i know Lynne blew us off tonight
well Excuseeeeeeeeeeee us!! poopoopadoooo i guese we dont Rate!! but
she was missed! S.D.

P.S. i want to see that target sweetie! did ED do it or you? He He He,

S.D.

Work called darlin. And I posted a pic of my target, thankyouverymuch. [laugh] [laugh] Ed wasn't there either. [wink]

DPM - Dan (who used to be VP) issues the keys. If you can't make the meeting - email Jeff (the Sec - email can be found of the HHRG web site) and let him know you still haven't gotten a key. Maybe he can verify with Dan that he'll be at the next meeting so you can get one. I wish I had known - Dan was at the range with Jay and I on Saturday (he's the one who found the bolt was resisting on Jay's SKS).

Milsurps 4 Me said:
PM sent with info on fixes for the bolt. I may have put the spring in backwards
after cleaning one night, or it could be theres a recoil buffer in there I may have forgot about. Let me know if the info I sent in the PM works.

Thanks Milsurps.

As I responded in PM, I took it apart last night. I pulled the spring out and checked the recoil guide (Nice and straight, phew!), and on a hunch flipped the spring around and re-assembled.

The feeling of binding when pulling back the bolt disappeared. It was significantly easier to work the action. I *think* (hope?) that was the only issue. I'm going to try to get to the range to try it out again to see if this did the trick.

Either way, I'm still damn pleased with the gun. Whatever the issue is, I should be able to fix it pretty easily (hopefully it's already fixed). Now I just need to get my application into HHRG so I can shoot it more often!

Put some moly or gun grease on the recoil spring too it works much better that way if its lubed too. I never let my recoil springs run dry and my gas systems too there all lubed with moly.

Pilgrim said:
BigBill,

I've never seen another Chinese paratrooper other than mine. Does it look like this?
sks.jpg

Mine has no import marks that I can find...like norinco, etc.

It's one straight shooting sonofagun.

Yup i picked up two of these and the one i'm shooting so far is deadly accurate at 100yds its very impressive for what it is. I've shocked a lot of people with it because they figure that sks's can't shoot that good and the word chinese means that too i guess to some. I have another 16" barrel with a thumbhole stk that takes AK mags. I haven't shot it that much just enough to checkout the cycling on it. These dam sks's can be habit forming you know.

Last edited:
SKS Fun-Shoot

Lynne-Lynne Lynne How could i have even inferd that you could not have shot that fantastic target!!! O.M.G. Shame Shame Shame On Me, on the
woman-on target Day i shall bring you Coffee and beg your fogivness!!
Yours Humbly you-know-who! he he he S.D. aka AL xoxoxox

BigBill said:
Yup i picked up two of these and the one i'm shooting so far is deadly accurate at 100yds its very impressive for what it is. I've shocked a lot of people with it because they figure that sks's can't shoot that good and the word chinese means that too i guess to some. I have another 16" barrel with a thumbhole stk that takes AK mags. I haven't shot it that much just enough to checkout the cycling on it. These dam sks's can be habit forming you know.

Man, I can't freakin' wait for mine to get here. I hope they pick me out a good one.

Lynne said:
DPM - Dan (who used to be VP) issues the keys. If you can't make the meeting - email Jeff (the Sec - email can be found of the HHRG web site) and let him know you still haven't gotten a key. Maybe he can verify with Dan that he'll be at the next meeting so you can get one.

Not to hijack the thread but thanks for the assistance

Spoke to proper person and I am going to be there Tuesday night to take care of it

sheriff dudley said:
Lynne-Lynne Lynne How could i have even inferd that you could not have shot that fantastic target!!! O.M.G. Shame Shame Shame On Me, on the woman-on target Day i shall bring you Coffee and beg your fogivness!!
Yours Humbly you-know-who! he he he S.D. aka AL xoxoxox

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] All right...you're forgiven. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom