• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS conversion to AK magazines

Excuse me if this is a stupid question. I tried a search and didnt find anyhthing, but my google foo is weak...
Can you 'convert' a standard SKS to take standard AK magazines with a new stock? Or is the magazine release mounted direcly on the rifles action?

I know I can always do the duck bill magazines but I was just wondering if there was a way around this?

I actually have a preban kit to convert an SKS to 30 round removable mag. I know its preban because I purchased it in the late 80's or very early 90's. It uses the existing hardware on the rifle just has a block added to lock in the forward (or aft I forget) end of the mag. Whether its legal to attach to the SKS I have no idea...

Excuse me if this is a stupid question. I tried a search and didnt find anyhthing, but my google foo is weak...
Can you 'convert' a standard SKS to take standard AK magazines with a new stock? Or is the magazine release mounted direcly on the rifles action?

I know I can always do the duck bill magazines but I was just wondering if there was a way around this?

Norinco made one from the factory I had a Norinco SKS M worked fine. I sold it to help fund my house. The conversions can be done, legal issues I dont have a clue. I like plain old original SKS. Poke arouns SKSBOARDS<COM

It's not something that can be done with a simple stock replacement. The mounting points for the mag are on the receiver itself.

I have seen videos showing how to convert a regular SKS to take AK mags, and it is not something that I would feel comfortable doing myself. It involves some permanent mods to the gun, some welding and grinding. It didn't look terribly difficult for somebody with the skills and tools, but I couldn't do it.

And I have tried several different steel duckbill mags on my SKSs, and have yet to get one that feeds reliably.

Get yourself one of these, stuff it full of stripper clips, and call it a day:

http://www.keepshooting.com/chinese-sks-bandolier.html

sks-badolier-pouchbig_1.jpg

If you change the stock to an aftermarket pistol grip stock and go with a detachable mag configuration, 922r is going to come into play.

If you change the stock to an aftermarket pistol grip stock and go with a detachable mag configuration, 922r is going to come into play.

922R (a basically unenforceable law) is the least of his worries, having a gun that actually works properly is a bigger one.

Most of these duckbill/conversion type things are shit. Unless its a factory norinco job its probably going to be a shit show.

-Mike

An SKS Sporter is the closest you're going to come to that. I had one in the 90s and it was my favorite gun. It was also the only gun I ever sold and regretted later. It was a shooter at 25 yards or 200 yards (bowling pins).

sks-montecarlo.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I am just going to have to save my pennies and lunch money and invest in a real one.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I am just going to have to save my pennies and lunch money and invest in a real one.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Wise choice.

You could have bought mine when I had it for sale a while back.

100_1729.jpg

100_1731.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434504673622.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434504673622.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Wise choice.

You could have bought mine when I had it for sale a while back.

100_1729.jpg

100_1731.jpg

I wish I had , many times. I looked at it a hundred times and before I did it was gone.....I did not forget that one.

on another note, there is a rule, you cannot bubba an SKS without getting approval from Martin08 or SKSray. or me (if you are desperate)

I can't tell you how many $800-1000 SKSs I have seen on another board ruined for life. This was all because the owner did not realize they had a rare piece and thought it would make a cool sporter.

there are plenty of non collectables SKSs out there before you regret your really cool looking rifle

In the late 1980's early 1990/s Norinco produces 3 SKS models made to take the AK47 magazine...the SKS D, the SKS M and the SKS Sporter.

The can be bought for $600 to $800 on gunbroker ....that's the way to go!

Don't get me wrong, I would never bubba a good sks (or any other c&r) but I've seen some real beaters out there that I wouldn't mind playing with

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom