SKS and 922r

It's pretty obvious he's laughing about 922R compliance. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
So again, your sks does not accept detachable mags. It cannot be an "assault weapon" under MA law unless you modify it to accept detachable magazines.

Holy crap! Are you telling me something just worked out in my favor?
Everyone here is officially sworn to secrecy. Nobody knows nothing!!!

So again, your sks does not accept detachable mags. It cannot be an "assault weapon" under MA law unless you modify it to accept detachable magazines.

Not to worry. I know this is hypothetical since all of our guns have all been lost in freak boating accidents.

Now, lets pretend your gun is not sitting at the bottom of a lake somewhere. If you keep it with the fixed 10rd box mag but really want that railed handguard you still need to play the 10 or less 922r game, C&R and AWB aside since they don't apply anyway.

An originally configured Chinese SKS has 14 total parts on the ATF list. If you go with the railed handguard (mistake if you plan on mounting an optic on it IMHO) you still need to swap out 3 more parts for American made replacements to get down to 10. The Tapco stock would be 1 more, you still need 1 more. The gas piston is 1, still need another.

My advice is to get the hammer/trigger/sear and trigger job done. That's 3 parts and a huge improvement to the rifle. Then get the gas piston and you are all set. If you still want the railed handguard and/or Tapco stock fine but you won't be forced to do it. I know it's a little more money my way but it's the better way.

If you really want the railed handguard and Tapco stock get them and do the trigger job. It's one extra part but it will make your SKS better. Understand that the trigger job will be sunk money for the most part. If you ever sell the gun the average slob won't understand how much better your gun is and therefore won't pay extra for it.

The Tapco stuff doesn't increase value either so never, ever get rid of your original parts. If you want to sell it later sell it as original and sell the Tapco parts separately. You will still lose but not as badly. Besides, most of us who Bubba'd out our SKSs go back to original parts eventually anyway. Aside from the trigger job I have yet to see an SKS "upgrade" that actually improved the gun very much if at all.

Last edited:
The Tapco sks mags work pretty well as do the old USA brand mags. All others seem to suck. That said I agree they are not eorth the hassle. Get some good milsurp stripper clips and ptactice with them.

And unless the Mag is pre-ban (another hassle), I'd worry about getting jacked up for it.

Just not worth it.

Just buy those clamps that go on the barrel,and the other end will hold a flash light.

Now if you do convert it into an assault weapon, you not only run afoul of MA laws but also federal law since you'd be assembling an assault weapon that would be banned from import in its AW configuration.

So you could keep the current stock and add detachable mag OR you can use your pistol grip stock with the fixed mag. But don't mix the two.

BTW, there are aftermarket fixed high cap mags that replace the existing fixed mag but in my experience they do not work well at all. Jam city.

If you leave the fixed magazine on the SKS, it's not clear to me that 922r applies at all. I'm not going to write the ATF to find out, or mess with my SKS though.

Well, this has turned out differently than I originally envisioned. Truly, all I was looking to do is put a WML on an SKS and stay on the right side of 922r. Now that I understand that, as long as I keep that stock Norinco 10 round fixed mag, it can't be considered an AW, we're going full hog baby!
Extra killy pistol grip. ISIS issue collapsible butt stock. North Korean stealth infrared laser. KGB 37x extra long range sniper scope. Might even put on a Crips and Bloods approved flash suppressor.

OK, here's the deal. The railed hand guard puts me into the 922 game. Fine. Maybe I can make that work for me. Tapco is the only company who makes one and, as I stated earlier, there's a $10 difference in buying just the hand guard or the whole stock set. I'll get a better LOP. Then I can go to Murray and get, what I'm told is a sweet trigger job. That should just about put me right with 922r. Might have to pick up a USA gas piston, we'll have to see.

Yes, this is more money than I was looking to spend but, what the f##k, it's not like I can build an AR, right? The result will be a really assaulty looking non assault weapon. Which is totally not what I was looking to do but, if it passes off the Wicked Witch of the East, I'm good with it.

Well, this has turned out differently than I originally envisioned. Truly, all I was looking to do is put a WML on an SKS and stay on the right side of 922r. Now that I understand that, as long as I keep that stock Norinco 10 round fixed mag, it can't be considered an AW, we're going full hog baby!
Extra killy pistol grip. ISIS issue collapsible butt stock. North Korean stealth infrared laser. KGB 37x extra long range sniper scope. Might even put on a Crips and Bloods approved flash suppressor.

OK, here's the deal. The railed hand guard puts me into the 922 game. Fine. Maybe I can make that work for me. Tapco is the only company who makes one and, as I stated earlier, there's a $10 difference in buying just the hand guard or the whole stock set. I'll get a better LOP. Then I can go to Murray and get, what I'm told is a sweet trigger job. That should just about put me right with 922r. Might have to pick up a USA gas piston, we'll have to see.

Yes, this is more money than I was looking to spend but, what the f##k, it's not like I can build an AR, right? The result will be a really assaulty looking non assault weapon. Which is totally not what I was looking to do but, if it passes off the Wicked Witch of the East, I'm good with it.

As long as you leave the Magazine alone and don't have a banana hanging from the bottom you should be cool.

Yup, if you go with the made in USA Tapco handguard and stock along with the Murray made in USA hammer/trigger/sear you will have replaced 5 parts on the ATF list which takes you from 14 to 9 so you are good with one extra, no need for the gas piston unless you just say what the heck, what's another $25-$30 at this point.

One note on my Murray's trigger job. I also had him put in lighter springs to get a lighter trigger pull but I ended up with a lot of light strikes resulting in FTF so I went back to stock springs and it's fine like that. With the trigger smoothed out and clean and consistent the pull weight feels fine without the lighter springs.

There is another guy that does excellent SKS trigger jobs too, supposedly better than Murray. He goes by Kivaari but his name is Tom. Last I knew Murray would ship the parts directly to him if you want Tom to do the trigger job. It costs a little more and takes a little longer I think but Tom is supposed to be the best. I opted to go simple and just have Murray do the trigger job while I had him replace the parts and I am thrilled with his work so I see no need to go to Kivaari but it's just an option.

If you are interested in Kivaari you can check his testimonials and get contact info here: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=62.0

My SKS's work fine right out of the box! :)

My SKS's work fine right out of the box! :)

Yup, the sure do but they can work better. Nope, they will never be an AK or AR or anything other than a SKS but if he wants that railed handguard he has to play the 922r game (at least to be 100% legal). Someone else mentioned screwing a rail to the side of the stock if it's just for a light. That's not a bad idea if you can get it reasonably straight.

This is what I did with my SKS-M since I had modified a regular SKS stock to fit it (hated the thumbhole stock it came with). The regular stock had a spike bayonet groove but my M has no bayo lug so I used the groove for a rail. Took a little semi-creative woodworking but nothing too hard. That was a custom rail someone had made and was going to produce them but never did so he sold me his prototype cheap. You may be able to find something similar out there if you wanted to lose the bayo and save money by skipping the 922r game and still having a rail.

P1010897_zpsihkqqstu.jpg

P1010900_zps4wg70qwf.jpg

Complete with Scout Mount and Sightmark reflex sight (both for sale), rail extension and cheap light/laser combo (also for sale). I don't have it set up like that anymore but it was a just-for-fun experiment.
P1020075_zpsegtuy3cd.jpg

Attachments

• P1010897_zpsihkqqstu.jpg
    P1010897_zpsihkqqstu.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
Yup, the sure do but they can work better. Nope, they will never be an AK or AR or anything other than a SKS but if he wants that railed handguard he has to play the 922r game (at least to be 100% legal). Someone else mentioned screwing a rail to the side of the stock if it's just for a light. That's not a bad idea if you can get it reasonably straight.

This is what I did with my SKS-M since I had modified a regular SKS stock to fit it (hated the thumbhole stock it came with). The regular stock had a spike bayonet groove but my M has no bayo lug so I used the groove for a rail. Took a little semi-creative woodworking but nothing too hard. That was a custom rail someone had made and was going to produce them but never did so he sold me his prototype cheap. You may be able to find something similar out there if you wanted to lose the bayo and save money by skipping the 922r game and still having a rail.

P1010897_zpsihkqqstu.jpg

P1010900_zps4wg70qwf.jpg

Complete with Scout Mount and Sightmark reflex sight (both for sale), rail extension and cheap light/laser combo (also for sale). I don't have it set up like that anymore but it was a just-for-fun experiment.
P1020075_zpsegtuy3cd.jpg

That's pretty badass!!!

That's pretty badass!!!

Thanks and the best part is it has no evil features, just the detachable mag. That gun flies under the AWB and is 922r compliant as you see it there. In fact I added an angled foregrip too it as well. It is pre-ban (built in 1992) anyway but not having any evil features is kinda cool. Just the large cap mag has to be registered so I use 5rd, 7rd or 10rd AK mags now.

Back
Top Bottom