SKS and 922r

I've googled and read and I'm confused as ever.

With all the crap going on in Boston, I'm thinking a stepping my SKS (Norinco) up into the role that would have been filled by an AR. I want to keep it within Dear Leader Healey's "guidance" but also update it's capabilities. For example, I'd like to put on a railed hand guard so I have a place to mount a light. Does that now throw me into the 10 parts game?
If so, what parts can/should I change to get me around 922r without putting myself on the wrong side of the Wicked Witch? Obviously, not interested in detachable mags. I'm willing to change the stock of I have to but would a pistol grip stock with a fixed 10 round mag be MA OK or should I look at one of the Monte Carlo types?

I've googled and read and I'm confused as ever.

With all the crap going on in Boston, I'm thinking a stepping my SKS (Norinco) up into the role that would have been filled by an AR. I want to keep it within Dear Leader Healey's "guidance" but also update it's capabilities. For example, I'd like to put on a railed hand guard so I have a place to mount a light. Does that now throw me into the 10 parts game?
If so, what parts can/should I change to get me around 922r without putting myself on the wrong side of the Wicked Witch? Obviously, not interested in detachable mags. I'm willing to change the stock of I have to but would a pistol grip stock with a fixed 10 round mag be MA OK or should I look at one of the Monte Carlo types?

It has a FIXED 10 ROUND capacity, and thus cannot be an Assault Weapon.

Even if it were, it's Pre-Ban.

I COULD BE WRONG.

I really wouldn't worry about 922r. As much as Tapco wants you to believe that it is something you need to worry about, and buy lots of their stuff as a result, it is my understanding that nobody, ever, has been jammed up based on 922r.

If anybody needs to worry about it, it's importers and builders, but for an end user to have the feds tearing apart his SKS and counting US made vs. foreign parts you would be on your way to Gitmo for something else.

Just don't remove the box mag and replace it with a duckbill. Not only because that might push you into AWB territory, but because aftermarket SKS mags tend to suck.

And 922r is a federal thing, which Maura really wouldn't know or care about (yet).

Just get some good stripper clips and practice using them. You can reload an original configuration SKS pretty quickly.

And 922r is a federal thing, which Maura really wouldn't know or care about (yet).

Just get some good stripper clips and practice using them. You can reload an original configuration SKS pretty quickly.
shhhhh!

I really wouldn't worry about 922r. As much as Tapco wants you to believe that it is something you need to worry about, and buy lots of their stuff as a result, it is my understanding that nobody, ever, has been jammed up based on 922r.
If anybody needs to worry about it, it's importers and builders, but for an end user to have the feds tearing apart his SKS and counting US made vs. foreign parts you would be on your way to Gitmo for something else.

Just don't remove the box mag and replace it with a duckbill. Not only because that might push you into AWB territory, but because aftermarket SKS mags tend to suck.

This. If you want 30rd mag capacity get an AK. SKS are pretty much tanks, they'll eat everything and run forever. But modding them to accept 30 rd mags makes the SKS sad. Don't make the SKS sad.

Last edited:
Maybe no one ever has been jammed up by 922r, yet, but the ruling class here in MA has given us no reason to EVER trust them on any firearms issue. If I have to play the 10 parts game, I will. Just not sure which parts to change.
Not that I'm overly enthusiastic about putting a Tapco stock on an SKS but, would a pistol grip stock on a pre ban fixed mag rifle be considered an AW?

Ya know, 922r is bad enough. The new AG "guidance" is a nightmare. Put them together and it's a cluster fluff of epic proportions.

Maybe no one ever has been jammed up by 922r, yet, but the ruling class here in MA has given us no reason to EVER trust them on any firearms issue. If I have to play the 10 parts game, I will. Just not sure which parts to change.
Not that I'm overly enthusiastic about putting a Tapco stock on an SKS but, would a pistol grip stock on a pre ban fixed mag rifle be considered an AW?

Ya know, 922r is bad enough. The new AG "guidance" is a nightmare. Put them together and it's a cluster fluff of epic proportions.

I would argue the LOWER dates the gun - not the stock, not the barrel, ...

However, once the firearms is significantly altered, it is no longer C&R. C&R Firearms must be Original, though obviously screws, sears, springs, and minor parts will not alter the C&R status - usually.

I know a replaced plastic Stock will void C&R. Not sure about Pistol Grips.

But it will still be an old gun.

Last edited:
eeeeyuck, 922r, it gets really confusing. The short answer to your changing the handguard question is yes, that puts you into the 10 parts or less game with 922r. Here is the list of parts the ATF counts for 922r on a SKS:

1. Receiver
2. Barrel
3. Bolt
4. Bolt carrier
5. Gas piston
6. Trigger housing
7. Trigger
8. Hammer
9. Sear
10. Disconnector
11. Stock
12. Handguard
13. Magazine body
14. Follower
15. Muzzle device (Yugos only for their grenade launcher)

If you swap out any of those you have to play the 10 or less game. Note that the magazine on a SKS only has two parts, a body and follower, no separate floor plate. Tapco says their mags replace three 922r parts but that's not true on a regular SKS because there are only two mag parts to begin with. Adding extra American made parts that are not on the list does nothing to reduce the foreign parts count, it's not a percentage game.

On my old SKS-M I sent my trigger group out to Murray's gunsmithing and he replaced the hammer, sear and trigger with American made parts and did a trigger job which made a typical kinda rough SKS trigger silky smooth and nice. You can also buy those parts from him and do it yourself. I do not think that affects C&R but I'm not sure. My work PC won't let me link to Murray's so just look up Murray's Guns and you will find him.

The gas piston is the other easy part to swap out beside the handguard. Tapco used to make them and I think they may have resumed production now but they are pricey. Try this guy instead (but he might be out of stock right now) http://www.cncwarrior.com/SKS-Gas-Piston-p/23152.htm You can also look on eBay or Gun Broker, just make sure they have USA or made in USA on them somewhere.

On mine I did the hammer/trigger/sear, handguard and gas piston. Since it is a SKS-M I needed to replace 5 parts instead of 4 because it uses AK mags which do have 3 mag parts because the floor plate is separate from the body. I didn't want to rely on mag parts for my parts count because I had Chinese mags that worked great so my parts count is fine no matter what my mags are. I may still replace the followers and/or floor plates because my handguard isn't stamped with USA or Made in USA. I have the package in my range bag which says Made in USA but that's a tad bit of a gray area.

As others have said I know of nobody who has ever been jammed up on 922r alone but if you get caught doing something else and they want an ad-on charge they will have a good one. As you also pointed out, the rules are probably going to be enforced more and more. Not sure if that will ever get all the way to 922r but why mess around with it when it's easy to avoid with parts that will make the gun better anyway? I know it's a SKS and will never be anything more but the hammer/trigger/sear with trigger job is well worth it if you want to really enjoy shooting it.

Here is a great link to SKS legal issues including 922r and C&R.
http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc322267330

NOTE: 922r is different from any state or federal assault weapons bans. It has to do with the import, manufacture or assembly of non-sporting rifles, not ownership or sale as the AWBs deal with. So 922r applies to all firearms, even pre-ban ones. Once you start swapping our parts you are technically assembling the gun at that point in time, not back in 1993. That is my understanding anyway and how the SKS experts I learned from always interpreted it. I'm not a lawyer or ATF agent so if you want to roll the dice with claiming a pre-ban gun isn't subject to 922r be my guest but I think you would be wrong.

Some relevant excerpts from the link I provided to Victorinc:

Can’t I just modify an SKS Carbine I already own, after all it’s already been imported?

Title 18 USC § 922(r) prohibits “any person to assemble from imported parts any Semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under Title 18 USC § 925(d)(3).”

Put another way, it is illegal for anyone to assemble a semiautomatic rifle or shotgun domestically that would be prohibited from import were import attempted. The only way to know for sure if a particular configuration is legal is to write ATF and ask. Don’t be bashful—ATF has said that they will not publish a list because anyone can write them and ask if a particular configuration is legal.

Remember that Title 18 USC § 922(r) made it illegal to build any firearm prohibited from importation under Title 18 USC § 925(d)(3). See the explanation of “identical”.

My SKS is “pre-ban”, can’t I do whatever I want to it?
It is not legal to add a particular feature to a pre-ban SKS Carbine. One could have added it before the ban. If the rifle did not have the feature on the date the ban became effective, adding it afterwards would be illegally assembly of a banned firearm. A banned feature may be repaired, but cannot be added to a firearm.

The May, 1994 American Rifleman magazine featured an article on the subject which quoted Edward M. Owen, Jr., chief of the BATF Firearms Technology Branch, as writing:

On Nov. 29, 1990, the Congress enacted Title 18 (of the United States Code), Chapter 44, Section 922(r) which states 'it shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semi-automatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under Section 925(d)(3)...'

As indicated the section became effective on Nov. 29, 1990. Therefore, any assembly, performed after the effective date of the section, which creates a semi-automatic rifle that is prohibited from importation would be a violation of Section 922(r), irrespective of the date that the firearm was imported.

This contradicts the common belief that rifles imported prior to November 29th, 1990 are immune from this legislation.

Last edited:
a fiberglass replacement stock for it that has the same shape/profile as the military wood stock and that doesn't change it from its C&R status because its essentially in the same military configuration as it was when issued.

I'm not aware of any Case Law regarding that.

I'd be a little hesitant, myself.

Of course the practical solution is to simply retain the old wood stock in case you wish to sell it as a C&R someday.

Uh Oh.

Read the ATF's letter (next post) to Murray, where they specifically state a Plastic Stock will void C&R on a weapon that originally had a wooden one.

Last edited:
eeeeyuck, 922r, it gets really confusing. The short answer to your changing the handguard question is yes, that puts you into the 10 parts or less game with 922r. Here is the list of parts the ATF counts for 922r on a SKS:

1. Receiver
2. Barrel
3. Bolt
4. Bolt carrier
5. Gas piston
6. Trigger housing
7. Trigger
8. Hammer
9. Sear
10. Disconnector
11. Stock
12. Handguard
13. Magazine body
14. Follower
15. Muzzle device (Yugos only for their grenade launcher)

If you swap out any of those you have to play the 10 or less game. Note that the magazine on a SKS only has two parts, a body and follower, no separate floor plate. Tapco says their mags replace three 922r parts but that's not true on a regular SKS because there are only two mag parts to begin with. Adding extra American made parts that are not on the list does nothing to reduce the foreign parts count, it's not a percentage game.

On my old SKS-M I sent my trigger group out to Murray's gunsmithing and he replaced the hammer, sear and trigger with American made parts and did a trigger job which made a typical kinda rough SKS trigger silky smooth and nice. You can also buy those parts from him and do it yourself. I do not think that affects C&R but I'm not sure. My work PC won't let me link to Murray's so just look up Murray's Guns and you will find him.

The gas piston is the other easy part to swap out beside the handguard. Tapco used to make them and I think they may have resumed production now but they are pricey. Try this guy instead (but he might be out of stock right now) http://www.cncwarrior.com/SKS-Gas-Piston-p/23152.htm You can also look on eBay or Gun Broker, just make sure they have USA or made in USA on them somewhere.

On mine I did the hammer/trigger/sear, handguard and gas piston. Since it is a SKS-M I needed to replace 5 parts instead of 4 because it uses AK mags which do have 3 mag parts because the floor plate is separate from the body. I didn't want to rely on mag parts for my parts count because I had Chinese mags that worked great so my parts count is fine no matter what my mags are. I may still replace the followers and/or floor plates because my handguard isn't stamped with USA or Made in USA. I have the package in my range bag which says Made in USA but that's a tad bit of a gray area.

As others have said I know of nobody who has ever been jammed up on 922r alone but if you get caught doing something else and they want an ad-on charge they will have a good one. As you also pointed out, the rules are probably going to be enforced more and more. Not sure if that will ever get all the way to 922r but why mess around with it when it's easy to avoid with parts that will make the gun better anyway? I know it's a SKS and will never be anything more but the hammer/trigger/sear with trigger job is well worth it if you want to really enjoy shooting it.

Here is a great link to SKS legal issues including 922r and C&R.
http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc322267330

Excellent Post.

Murray claims his Bolt & Firing Pin Mod does NOT affect C&R Status.

And he has the ATF Letter to prove it: http://murraysguns.com/download/murrayfp.pdf

BTW, I have contacted Murray, and asked him if he could give NES Members a discount on his $69 Bolt Mod. I've not heard back from him yet.

It has a FIXED 10 ROUND capacity, and thus cannot be an Assault Weapon.

Even if it were, it's Pre-Ban.

I COULD BE WRONG.

Although some Norinco SKS are pre-ban, there are many that aren't and most can't be proven as the Chinese never released S/Ns vs. dates for their commercial SKS.

Read the ATF's letter (next post) to Murray, where they specifically state a Plastic Stock will void C&R on a weapon that originally had a wooden one.

There was an ATF FAQ I read that said the plastic stock that's the same config as the one it replaces is ok. I'll see if I can dig it up again.

edit: found it and I misinterpreted what it said, sorry. What it said was replacing the stock with a newly manufactured one that is the same design and uses the same material as the old one (e.g. wood) is ok and does not change the C&R status but a different material (e.g. plastic) WOULD in fact void the C&R status.

Last edited:
My SKS is “pre-ban”, can’t I do whatever I want to it?
It is not legal to add a particular feature to a pre-ban SKS Carbine. One could have added it before the ban. If the rifle did not have the feature on the date the ban became effective, adding it afterwards would be illegally assembly of a banned firearm. A banned feature may be repaired, but cannot be added to a firearm.

The May, 1994 American Rifleman magazine featured an article on the subject which quoted Edward M. Owen, Jr., chief of the BATF Firearms Technology Branch, as writing:

On Nov. 29, 1990, the Congress enacted Title 18 (of the United States Code), Chapter 44, Section 922(r) which states 'it shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semi-automatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under Section 925(d)(3)...'

As indicated the section became effective on Nov. 29, 1990. Therefore, any assembly, performed after the effective date of the section, which creates a semi-automatic rifle that is prohibited from importation would be a violation of Section 922(r), irrespective of the date that the firearm was imported.

This contradicts the common belief that rifles imported prior to November 29th, 1990 are immune from this legislation.

See this is confusing me too so I did some digging around and found this site: http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/semi_auto_faq.txt

Its a LONG read but has some interesting info in it. Because the SKS was not an assault weapon by definition, changing it to add features that would make it one by definition negates its pre-ban grandfather status. This does not however seem to apply to AKs because they already were assault weapons, which explains why I see so many over on AK Files "de-banning" their AKs and putting back features like folding stocks and bayo lugs and underfolding bayonets.

This part was particularly informative I thought...

Some guidance as to SKS's can be gleaned from this letter to
the NRA from BATF Technology Branch, printed in the NRA magazine,
American Rifleman May, 1994, p.44:

BATF
Wash. DC
To: [name deleted]
NRA
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA.

Dear Sir:

[Snip] In answer to your specific questions, the following
modifications of an SKS type rifle WOULD _NOT_ BE A VIOLATION of
Section 922 (r):

1. Replace the existing stock and handguard with a non-folding
wooden or synthetic stock having either a Monte Carlo or thumbhole
design.

2. Attach a muzzle mounted recoil compensator, provided that the
device is not also designed as a flash suppressor.

3. Replace the standard configuration stock with a Monte Carlo or
thumbhole style stock and replace the fixed magazine with a
detachable magazine. THIS MODIFICATION MAY BE DONE PROVIDED THAT
THE BAYONET MOUNT IS COMPLETELY REMOVED FROM THE RIFLE.

4. Replace the existing 10 round magazine with a fixed magazine
of a larger capacity.

5. Replace the existing 10 round magazine with a fixed 5 round
magazine or install a block in the well of the 10 round fixed
magazine to limit its capacity to 5 rounds.

6. Replace the existing receiver cover with a cover having a
telescopic sight based and\or rings.

7. Replace the front and\or rear sight or install an ambidextrous
safety.

With respect to attaching a bipod to a standard configuration SKS
rifle; standard configuration SKS rifles are not approved for
importation with bipods. Therefore, the attachment of a bipod
would be a violation of Section 922(r).

I hadn't thought of the bipod issue, thanks for that info! There is so much it's easy to get lost in it. Just when I think I have it figured out someone brings up something that makes me think again. I guess that's why I try to play it as a better safe than sorry thing but I don't really sweat it too much since nobody ever gets pinched for it, not yet anyway. Honestly it was a good excuse to have the trigger job done which gave me 3 American made parts and has made it 100x better.

I have no doubt it would be an ad-on charge though for an over zealous prosecutor and as they keep reinterpreting and tightening up on existing laws that target law abiding citizens 922r may start being enforced at the individual level someday.

Oh my head hurts. We (responsible gun owners) put so much time, effort, and money into trying to stay on the right side of a government that sure seems like it's out to get us while the actual criminals just roll through life with hardly a care in the world. Makes one want to say F**K IT, I'll do what I want.

Meanwhile, back in reality...
If I understand what I have correctly, it's a Norinco made in 1979 and there for wouldn't be eligible for C&R until 2029. So we can at least take the C&R off the table.
All I want to do is put a railed hand guard on it but, that puts me in the 10 or less game. OK, let's play. The only reason I was considering the Tapco is because they seem to be the only people in the world that make a railed hand guard for the SKS and there's, literally, a $10 price difference between buying just the hand guard and buying the whole stock set.
So then I have to look at its "evil features". But do the "evil features" even exist anymore? Do you have to or are you allowed to pin a collapsible butt stock? Tapco just told me via phone call that I should be able to put a fixed butt stock on their Intrafuse stock.
As an aside, the guy told me he's never heard of anyone doing that. I told him I'm from MA and he said, "Oh, that explains it".
So, if I have to I can go with a solid stock leaving the pistol grip the only extra killy thing. So which side of things would a pistol grip non collapsing stock on a fixed magazine rifle put me in MA now?

I bet your head hurts now, too.

I can't speak to MA laws (especially with your AG going off the rails with the MA AWB), I have a hard enough time keep up with CT laws. So unfortunately I cannot comment on the legality of a Tapco stock, pinned or not.

As others have said, the ATF does not recognize any dating of Chinese SKSs because China has never released any official records. Your only hope of C&R status for a Chinese SKS down the road is if you had rock solid import records for that specific gun. A while back some C&R Chinese SKS rifles were being sold and they only qualified because they were in another country for a length of time so the ATF had official import records to go on. Other countries' SKS can qualify for C&R. Russians for example are always C&R now because they stopped making them in 1956 or 57.

As a side note, the railed handguards do not work well for optics, they do not hold zero reliably. Sometimes you can get one that fits tight enough to sort of function but since it is a removable part you aren't going to get a really reliable zero. If you want it for a light then great.

BTW, I just posted a classified to sell my SKS Scout Mount. It installs on the rear sight (easy to install) and is rock solid. I am also selling the Sightmark reflex sight I used it with. It was a sweet setup, like new condition still, I am just going back to the original sight for simplicity sake. That would not invoke 922r (I don't think) and it would give you a far superior forward rail. Probably not much more money either.

Last edited:
I have bought C&R guns that are less than 50 years old. I have at least three Chinese SKSs as well as a Polish P64 that was made around 1972. I don't believe the gun itself needs to be 50 years old so much as the model has to have been placed on the C&R list.

I do wonder if I destroyed the C&R status of one of my Chinese rifles by putting a fiberglass jungle stock on it. It is an old Chinese stock, but I don't know if they were ever originally produced with those stocks.

I really don't care since it is one of my favorite guns and I'll never sell it anyway, but I guess I would have to remove it from my bound book if it isn't C&R any more.

You could also just screw a 2" section of picatinny rail onto the side of your wooden SKS stock and mount a flashlight to it. I'm sure it's been done before by somebody named Bubba.

Last edited:
Oh my head hurts. We (responsible gun owners) put so much time, effort, and money into trying to stay on the right side of a government that sure seems like it's out to get us while the actual criminals just roll through life with hardly a care in the world. Makes one want to say F**K IT, I'll do what I want.

Meanwhile, back in reality...
If I understand what I have correctly, it's a Norinco made in 1979 and there for wouldn't be eligible for C&R until 2029. So we can at least take the C&R off the table.
All I want to do is put a railed hand guard on it but, that puts me in the 10 or less game. OK, let's play. The only reason I was considering the Tapco is because they seem to be the only people in the world that make a railed hand guard for the SKS and there's, literally, a $10 price difference between buying just the hand guard and buying the whole stock set.
So then I have to look at its "evil features". But do the "evil features" even exist anymore? Do you have to or are you allowed to pin a collapsible butt stock? Tapco just told me via phone call that I should be able to put a fixed butt stock on their Intrafuse stock.
As an aside, the guy told me he's never heard of anyone doing that. I told him I'm from MA and he said, "Oh, that explains it".
So, if I have to I can go with a solid stock leaving the pistol grip the only extra killy thing. So which side of things would a pistol grip non collapsing stock on a fixed magazine rifle put me in MA now?

I bet your head hurts now, too.

Yes, the "evil features" test still exists after her majesty's new enforcement notice.

You said in your earlier post that you are not interested in converting your sks to use detachable mags. In MA, the evil features test applies to rifles that have the ability to accept detachable mags. An sks with an internal box magazine will not be subject to the evil features test.

Last edited:
I have bought C&R guns that are less than 50 years old. I have at least three Chinese SKSs as well as a Polish P64 that was made around 1972. I don't believe the gun itself needs to be 50 years old so much as the model has to have been placed on the C&R list.

I do wonder if I destroyed the C&R status of one of my Chinese rifles by putting a fiberglass jungle stock on it. It is an old Chinese stock, but I don't know if they were ever originally produced with those stocks.

I really don't care since it is one of my favorite guns and I'll never sell it anyway, but I guess I would have to remove it from my bound book if it isn't C&R any more.

You could also just screw a 2" section of picatinny rail onto the side of your wooden SKS stock and mount a flashlight to it. I'm sure it's been done before by somebody named Bubba.

I would not remove it from the book unless you sold it.

Quick link to the ATF C&R List:

https://www.atf.gov/file/56621/download

Note that the "Complete" List has not been updated since 2007 !

I believe PARTIAL updates have been issued since.

Here is one that goes to 2014:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/c...te-january-2008-through-june-2014pdf/download

Last edited:
Sure, some guns on the C&R list are not 50 years old but once they do get to 50 years it's more or less automatic that they qualify under most circumstances. I think the jungle stock does void the C&R status but I'm not sure. I would not remove it from your bound book. Just buy a cheap Chinese wood stock to have on hand if you ever need to get it back to C&R.

So MA is the same as CT I guess in that only rifles with detachable mags (in CT it also applied to fixed mags that hold more than 10 rds).

yeah I thought ALL SKS were c&r but was quickly corrected on that because of the Norincos. All SOVIET made SKS are C&R but not all Chinese. Oye

yeah I thought ALL SKS were c&r but was quickly corrected on that because of the Norincos. All SOVIET made SKS are C&R but not all Chinese. Oye

Apparently SKS Rifles are still being manufactured as Sporting Rifles in some countries.

So much for C&R being off the table. I don't fully understand C&R so could someone please explain to me why I need to care about it with a run of the mill, 1 of gazillion, ChiCom SKS I have no intention of parting ways with.

Back to the Tapco, are you telling me that I can put a pistol grip collapsible stock on a fixed mag SKS and it will be (and I hate to use the term) "Mass compliant"? I don't mean to sound dense or Tapco fixated, I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around it.

So much for C&R being off the table. I don't fully understand C&R so could someone please explain to me why I need to care about it with a run of the mill, 1 of gazillion, ChiCom SKS I have no intention of parting ways with.

You don't need to care if it is C&R.

The only benefit at this point, for you, if it were C&R you could sell it and ship it to a C&R FFL-03 in another state. If it's legal in that State. Which I believe excludes CA.

Back to the Tapco, are you telling me that I can put a pistol grip collapsible stock on a fixed mag SKS and it will be (and I hate to use the term) "Mass compliant"? I don't mean to sound dense or Tapco fixated, I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around it.

No, you don't need to worry about C&R, it just always seems to come up when dealing with 922r and SKSs. Sorry I can't comment definitively on the MA compliant question. It would be ok in CT as fas as not triggering the AWB due to having the fixed 10rd mag. I think MA is the same but I don't know.

An SKS was not an assault weapon under the federal ban. MA uses the same definition in our assault weapon ban. An assault weapon is defined as "a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of" the evil features. Further, the definition specifically states that "assault weapons" do NOT include semiautomatic rifles that cannot accept detachable magazines holding more than 5 rounds.

So again, your sks does not accept detachable mags. It cannot be an "assault weapon" under MA law unless you modify it to accept detachable magazines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom