• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Situation Red - 3:30 AM this morning..

Fun fact in Mass, non posted property is open to the public. That is unless you have signs posted to advise of no trespassing, or have served notice to a specific person, then the public and any non served notice persons are allowed on the property. So even if the cops found the male party on the neighbors lawn, there would be no law broken. He would have to explain the bike if it was in his possession at that time. Such as I'm at the wrong address, etc etc. So step 1 ... Post signs of no trespassing. Anyone on the property after that needs written permission to be present.
IANAL this is not legal advice. Check with an attorney for your specific situation.

Currently reading this at 0300 for those asking why the OP was up. Some of us are just weird and wired differently. I’ll get back to sleep after browsing Amazon for motion activated lights, some of my best purchases have come at this hour. Also, thank god NES has a dark mode.

sounds scary.

but keep in mind, in the dark, it could have been a nephew returning a tool he had borrowed from you, and you just did not recognize him or the car. Kids do stuff at all hours of the night, and think nothing of it. Do not assume it is a bad guy, until he actually does some bad guy things...

Fun fact in Mass, non posted property is open to the public. That is unless you have signs posted to advise of no trespassing, or have served notice to a specific person, then the public and any non served notice persons are allowed on the property. So even if the cops found the male party on the neighbors lawn, there would be no law broken. He would have to explain the bike if it was in his possession at that time. Such as I'm at the wrong address, etc etc. So step 1 ... Post signs of no trespassing. Anyone on the property after that needs written permission to be present.
IANAL this is not legal advice. Check with an attorney for your specific situation.

Not quite true. In Mass, there's three elements to criminal trespass. 1) You're on someone else's property, including government property; 2) you're without right to be on the property; and 3) the property is posted or there's physical barriers that directly forbid entry. The signs go to the third element.

Something like a fence, a locking gate, a lockable door, a turnstile, or a window would directly forbid entry. If the trespasser jumps a fence or jimmies open a lock, that'll satisfy the third element of trespass. Property occupants (not just owners - tenants, housemates, etc.) can also directly forbid trespassers by words or physical force.

HATFIELD v. MASSACHUSETTS | Civil Action No. 14... | 20151210b75| Leagle.com

STRAHAN, COMMONWEALTH vs., 30 Mass. App. Ct. 947

sounds scary.

but keep in mind, in the dark, it could have been a nephew returning a tool he had borrowed from you, and you just did not recognize him or the car. Kids do stuff at all hours of the night, and think nothing of it. Do not assume it is a bad guy, until he actually does some bad guy things...

Too true. Which is why I let the boys in Blue handle it. Besides, someone returning a tool wouldn't do things like dawn a hoodie on July or duck behind cover to avoid being seen by traffic, etc. Those actions gave away his intentions.

I'm not a vigilante. Chasing down a criminal is not in my job description or something I have any desire at all to do. My obligation as a reputable person of society is to observe, make a note, and be a good witness and call the police and let them figure it out. Engaging in any action beyond that only exposes me to legal liability and danger of harm.

They may not have apprehended the guy. But I'm fairly certain my actions most definitely prevented a major crime of some type. The stolen bike was probably a crime of opportunity and a chance to get away since his lookout and get away ride were now gone and involved with the police. Whereas when this dude showed up, he obviously had a plan... He had an intended target, intended methods, etc. All premeditated. Who knows what his intent really was.

I don't think he'll be back. That would be truely unwise. But never underestimate the stupidity of a crackhead. If he had an intended target, there may be something he really wants that he has preexisting knowledge of. But the target is a lot harder now. It's aware and now my neighbor has an alarm, motion lights, etc...

Last edited:
Currently reading this at 0300 for those asking why the OP was up. Some of us are just weird and wired differently. I’ll get back to sleep after browsing Amazon for motion activated lights, some of my best purchases have come at this hour. Also, thank god NES has a dark mode.

How do I turn on the dark mode?

NM, found it. Ugly though. Wish it were gray as opposed to black.

I am still wondering what message the responding police received. Not the message that the OP tried to deliver, but what the dispatcher "heard" and passed on. Was the OP's message translated to a "suspicious person in a car", leading them to believe that it was just the woman whom they found?

Again, not faulting the OP, but it sounds like the officers did not know that there was a second person involved who was in hiding.

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked, but when junkies target places they either do smash and grabs for shit they can pawn off for cash to buy more drugs, or they go after places where the drugs are at.

Sure your neighbor isn't selling drugs over there?

I am still wondering what message the responding police received. Not the message that the OP tried to deliver, but what the dispatcher "heard" and passed on. Was the OP's message translated to a "suspicious person in a car", leading them to believe that it was just the woman whom they found?

Again, not faulting the OP, but it sounds like the officers did not know that there was a second person involved who was in hiding.

I don't think you read the thread. The cops went up and down the neighboring streets looking for the dude. He was the reason they were there. I didn't even know about the bitch ducking in the car until the popo hit it with their floods. Then it was like "oh shit there's a bitch in the car". She was slouched down in the passenger seat.

Maybe the guy was there to recover his stolen bicycle.
Who steals bikes anymore? That was so 1980’s!

When one of the kids blows a tire or a pain in the butt part, I just buy em a new one.

My buddy tells me when he get up in the 1980’s in Worcester, you had to bring your bike inside to protect it. Now, people leave bikes on front lawns all throughout Worcester.

I don't think the bike was why he was here or had origionally come for. I think that after his accomplace was shooed away by the police and couldn't return to the area, he needed transportation. The bike was a crime of oppertunity and a means to an end. Getting the hell out of dodge as quickly as he could.

When one of the kids blows a tire or a pain in the butt part, I just buy em a new one.

My buddy tells me when he get up in the 1980’s in Worcester, you had to bring your bike inside to protect it. Now, people leave bikes on front lawns all throughout Worcester.

Where I live (close to NH border) perps from Lawrence and NH steal hanging baskets and potted plants to sell them somewhere. I did catch few of them but local police was not interested, minor crime, license plate from NH, too much work....yada, yada.....Classic catch and release operation.

I don't think the bike was why he was here or had origionally come for. I think that after his accomplace was shooed away by the police and couldn't return to the area, he needed transportation. The bike was a crime of oppertunity and a means to an end. Getting the hell out of dodge as quickly as he could.

They were searching for Trump signs.

Probably someone who just lost his ride and needs to get out of there fast. I'd be surprised if stealing a bike was his original purpose.

I would have cracked open a window and gave a nice long blast from an air horn. The entertainment value would be well worth any pissed off neighbors.

Listened to the police scanner yesterday. They got a call about a guy running through people's backyard. He was in a t-shirt, rather disheveled, and had a towel draped over his shoulders.

Several cars responded. Turns out his cat had escaped...

:)

They may not have apprehended the guy. But I'm fairly certain my actions most definitely prevented a major crime of some type. The stolen bike was probably a crime of opportunity and a chance to get away since his lookout and get away ride were now gone and involved with the police. Whereas when this dude showed up, he obviously had a plan... He had an intended target, intended methods, etc. All premeditated. Who knows what his intent really was.

This leads me to believe that it wasn't just someone looking for a quick score to buy drugs. Those people typically look for soft targets, such as unattended cars, to get things they can quickly sell for the cash they need to get their fix. They're typically not going to risk a confrontation by entering a presumably occupied home for such a small score. Then again, they don't necessarily put the most thought into their actions, so who knows?

If he were just looking for a quick score to get drug money, a bike left out in the open that's an easy grab would have been a very good target.

Listened to the police scanner yesterday. They got a call about a guy running through people's backyard. He was in a t-shirt, rather disheveled, and had a towel draped over his shoulders.

Several cars responded. Turns out his cat had escaped...

:)

Our 9-1-1 was overwhelmed by lost souls asking where and when will be postponed fireworks.......I am not kidding!

Back
Top Bottom