• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Situation Red - 3:30 AM this morning..

Funny story. Way back when I was living in Medford, my next door neighbor called me to ask if I had some certain size bolts for a repair job. I told him that I did but that I was in a hurry to go to a meeting. I told him that the door to the basement was unlocked and that he could come over and find the bolts. I was in a hurry and forgot to tell the wife. While he was digging thru my bins, the door at the top of the stairs opened and a voice (my wife's) shouted: "I have a gun and I will start shooting". Poor Bill started screaming" Don't shoot don't shoot it's Bill". I never asked him, but he probably shit his pants. Jack.

Years ago, it was a very hot night. IIRC, power was out due to a lightning strike. I left the front door open, but with the screen locked.

~9 AM the following morning, I hear a knock and John and Jim Law are on my stoop. "There was a burglary across the street last night. Did you see anything?"

"No, but the dog (Pomeranian, who was letting the cops know that HE was in charge [laugh]) was barking about 1AM. What happened?"

"People left their front door open, and the guy's wallet was snatched off the hall table."

We're in a good neighborhood, too.

Sounds like OP handled it well enough, it can be hard to think straight in certain situations and what actions to take when you have only a minute or so to take them, moreso if you’re not used to these types of events, though I wouldn’t consider it a code red, barely warm yellow, no personal interaction, not even seen, still outside/inside and the target was a neighbor.

Not trying to be a jerk by saying that, just that it could’ve been a lot worse for sure. Regardless, OP got some good training and nobody died. Junkies and thieves are everywhere.

Not sure what town this was, or how big, but a K-9 would’ve been the best response if they had one on hand, even holding onto the woman until a K-9 could arrive from a neighboring town to assist. Sounds like the popo dropped the ball on that for sure.

I'm in Fairhaven. A K9 would have got the guy for sure. Not sure if Fairhaven has one. New Bedford does for sure. Multiple units I believe. Yea, although I was impressed by the response time, I do feel like the level of diligence was a bit lacking. At least from what I would have liked to see. I don't know what more they could have done though. But if they had just parked a cruzer a block down the street, lights off, engine off, (silent running), sat and observed they would have got the guy. It was literally 2 minutes after they left that he came by on the bike. He was obviously watching them.

Out of curiosity did you go out and talk to the police?
If you did not why did you make that decision? I think
I might’ve gone out and testified to the police as to what
I saw refuting the woman story.

I can always understand the I don’t want to get involved
attitude as you don’t need your house burned down the next
time you go to work. So I do understand if you didn’t talk to them.

Ya there’s definitely two trains of thought on that.

1) don’t want the bad guys to know it was me that called so I don’t targeted next for retribution.

2) doesn’t care one bit if they know it was me that called and God help you if you come back to my house.

Definitely a personal decision probably based on concerns of family members in the house and who will be affected by the choice made if they’re not home when/if it goes down.

Last edited:
I'll tell ya, last night I was wishing I had gotten the FLIR I've been thinking about for Coyote. I would have gone outside to the officers and said "I'll find him for you. Make sure she doesn't touch her phone and let's get er done."

Interdasting.

That would have been awesome, I know how much cops enjoy citizen vigilantes!

Ooooh. Score.

I know they don't. But I would have let them borrow it. I wanted them to find the dude. After they used it successfuly they could go back to the station and be like "Yo guess what we got to use. We need us some of these".

Aaaah. What a knockdown! Winner!

Seriously, can I ask what you were doing awake at 3:30 am? Did the car parking wake you?

Car alarm? Grab fob. Press panic button. I would rather have them choose another target, than to catch them in the act. Way less hassle.

It’s funny. Couple people asked why the OP was awake.

I am generally awake at 3am. Generally 2-3 am. Not sure why. Started a few years back. You sure do see some interesting happenings in the neighborhood at 3 am. Even out here in the sticks where I live on a dead end.

Ya there’s definitely two trains of thought on that.

1) don’t want the bad guys to know it was ‘me’ that called so ‘I’ don’t targeted next for retribution.

2) doesn’t care one bit if they know it was ‘me’ that called and God help you if you come back to my house.

Definitely a personal decision probably based on concerns of family members in the house and who will be affected by the choice made if they’re not home when/if it goes down.
I would go with #1. I would do as the OP did. Call the cops, be a good witness ... but dont want the crackheads to find out who called.

2) doesn’t care one bit if they know it was ‘me’ that called and God help you if you come back to my house.

death-wish-eli-roth-remakejpg-1024x537.jpg

HHmmm, time for a little night vision goggle purchase![wink]
Honey, I had to buy it. It's for your safety..[smile]
All the cool kids already have them![cheers]

A red laser pointer on the perps chest what have been funny to see too![rofl]
Or those super bright green ones![laugh]

I did not go out an talk to the officers that responded. I made my statements to dispatch. It was my intent to stay the hell out of their way and let them do their jobs in what I'm sure was already a tense situation. The lady was digging herself a deep enough hole and didn't need my help. It was pretty plain to the officers that she was telling some tall tails.

Motion sensor lights are a lot more effective: watch video of burglars that trip motion sensor lights, usually ends the encounter pretty quick. Burglar doesn't know if its the lights themselves or the homeowner unless the burglar sticks around to screw with the lights and see what happens.
I've got the lighting decoupled from the sensors; first an indoor light comes on, then the floodlights (after a random delay).

It's sad that the "Nightwatcher" robotic floodlight head was such a half-baked implementation.

Even something as simple as motion activated lights are a deterrent. Keep trees and shrubs away from windows. Well lit entrances. Simple things can make your home a much less likely target.
Cameras and motion lights. Police might've hung around a little longer if OP had been able to show them a clip of the dude hopping out of the car, hiding behind the tree?

Sometimes going "full prison yard" is the best response.

If all he wanted was really just the bike I'm not sure why he would have been looking in my neighbors windows, etc. Their cars were in the driveway, AC running. They were obviously home.
Funny story. Way back when I was living in Medford, my next door neighbor called me to ask if I had some certain size bolts for a repair job. I told him that I did but that I was in a hurry to go to a meeting. I told him that the door to the basement was unlocked and that he could come over and find the bolts. I was in a hurry and forgot to tell the wife. While he was digging thru my bins, the door at the top of the stairs opened and a voice (my wife's) shouted: "I have a gun and I will start shooting". Poor Bill started screaming" Don't shoot don't shoot it's Bill". I never asked him, but he probably shit his pants. Jack.
And that’s the last anyone heard of Bill:eek:

So OP....how many dogs did the officers shoot while looking for the perp?;)

So the good news is that those idiots had a close call and probably won’t be back in your neighborhood.

The bad news is that they’ll be crawling in someone else’s window tonight.

I did not go out an talk to the officers that responded. I made my statements to dispatch. It was my intent to stay the hell out of their way and let them do their jobs in what I'm sure was already a tense situation. The lady was digging herself a deep enough hole and didn't need my help. It was pretty plain to the officers that she was telling some tall tails.
It begs the question why did the cops just let her go? Her story was full of holes and frankly shit. They had a RP (you) who gave them a rundown of events.

It begs the question why did the cops just let her go? Her story was full of holes and frankly shit. They had a RP (you) who gave them a rundown of events.
Doesnt really sound like any crime was committed aside from him trespassing maybe but he wasnt there, she was.

One thing Ive learned working around dirtbags is no matter how full of shit they are, unless they actually admit to something, theres not much the system can or will do to them most of the time.

Doesnt really sound like any crime was committed aside from him trespassing maybe but he wasnt there, she was.

One thing Ive learned working around dirtbags is no matter how full of shit they are, unless they actually admit to something, theres not much the system can or will do to them most of the time.
I get the lack of a ‘true crime’ but a story full of shit should have raised a little more suspicion IMO and the RP gave an eye witness account of events. Of course Ms. Shithead is now marked.
I think a little more work was warranted unless something more important came over the air and yes, K9 could have been deployed.

We all know the dirtball is going to hit some other hardworking homeowner and that sucks.

I get the lack of a ‘true crime’ but a story full of shit should have raised a little more suspicion IMO and the RP gave an eye witness account of events. Of course Ms. Shithead is now marked.
I think a little more work was warranted unless something more important came over the air and yes, K9 could have been deployed.

We all know the dirtball is going to hit some other hardworking homeowner and that sucks.

Remember, when the cops let the woman go the bike hadn’t factored in yet. So no possible theft, at that point. Sure, Mr Hoodie was acting suspiciously and was certainly trespassing, but if she sticks to her story there’s no reason for the 5-0 to do a damn thing to Ms Hoodie.

ThePreBanMan did his part. He called the cops. Twice. They know who he is if they need him.

Really the only thing I couldve saw them doing was calling in K9 and hoping they got a hit on the car or her. What are the odds of NB shipping their K9 over to another town at 330 am for a fishing expedition? Maybe let her go and have an unmarked follow her around waiting for her to meet up with the bf, but then what? Sucks because we all know they were dirtbags up to no good but cant lock people up for that, even in MA. (especially in MA?)

Yea I was kind of hoping they could have done more than they did. But I guess sitting in a parked car on the street in itself isn't a crime and really I don't know what else they could have got her on. She was obviously full of shit. At one point I heard the cop say "in all my 22 years of law enforcement I have never heard such blatent and obvious bull shit".

A FLIR device probably would have ended the whole situation right quick with Mr. Hoodie in cuffs.

At any rate, Skynet has been deployed and is operational. You can not approach any point of entry without having your pic taken by 2 cams from different angles. Cams are 12' high and out of reach and mounted inconspiciously. The motion light on my garage that didn't work for shit has been replaced.. My neighbor whose house they were casing is having an alarm installed as I write this. The truck is at his house right now.

If all else fails, time to let old painless out of the bag...

View: https://youtu.be/MWq2QvvPw68

Back
Top Bottom