Simplex Comms

Dwarven, I'm fairly sure you can hit Waltham from Belmont. Unless you're in a valley somewhere. I'm sure you and I can connect.
I'll be on tonight.

Yeah that beep gets annoying. I just got a mag-mount for mine for the car and it works great. Do you still have the stock antenna on the Baofeng?

What antenna do you have? And no, I have whatever antenna Stan was selling with the radios - I'm not quite sure what it is; there's no label on it and it doesn't quite look like the Nagoya NA-701 in pix on the net.

What antenna do you have? And no, I have whatever antenna Stan was selling with the radios - I'm not quite sure what it is; there's no label on it and it doesn't quite look like the Nagoya NA-701 in pix on the net.

I think I have the Nagoya one you are talking about. I have a 14in and a 7in one. As long as you upgraded from the stock rubber duck then you should be good to go for repeaters. As far as tonight I think we said 9pm but if you guys decide on another time let me know. I will do my best to get on.

Last edited:
Realtor Ma - Good stuff. You had been in and out but I could make it out. You said I sounded clear on your end? What are you using for an antenna? People are on the Waltham i'm going to hang it up for tonight for the B's.

Last edited:
Sorry we couldn't chat, Darkgriffin. I heard Realtor talking to you but couldn't hear you at all, as you suspected. Also talked with N1ZFG on the Waltham repeater.

Heh... does this mean I should get QSL cards printed up? [smile]

Sorry we couldn't chat, Darkgriffin. I heard Realtor talking to you but couldn't hear you at all, as you suspected. Also talked with N1ZFG on the Waltham repeater.

Heh... does this mean I should get QSL cards printed up? [smile]

Nice at least you heard someone. Did you try to transmit? What time did you jump on and talk on the Waltham repeater?

I tried tuning in on simplex and as I suspected...total silence.
I got into the repeater, but was a hard to read.
Running a 5W HT with a mag mount stuck cookie sheet for a ground plane does mean limited success.
But at 15 miles from my location, I'd still count it a success.

Dwarven1,
Are you running with the stock antenna, or do you have something bigger to work with?

Dwarven1,
Are you running with the stock antenna, or do you have something bigger to work with?
An upgrade of some sort. Stan (W4HIX) had a few UV-5Rs with him with some kind of aftermarket antenna. Kind of looks like a Nagoya NA-701 but it's not marked at all.

An upgrade of some sort. Stan (W4HIX) had a few UV-5Rs with him with some kind of aftermarket antenna. Kind of looks like a Nagoya NA-701 but it's not marked at all.

Understood. It is probably a good deal better than the stock duck.

That being said. It is still a duck.
And here's my take on this entire class of duck antennas:

The positives:
They are small and wonderfully portable. They make using the handheld in foot-mobile operation practical. Last night, I effectively tethered myself to the middle of my living room with the external antenna I used last night to make the 15 mile shot to the repeater input.

They are great at keeping the footprint of your planned operating area compact. For example, trying to raise a friend on the other side of some hotel you're sharing next January won't interfere with someone else having a conversation somewhere far away, like Belmont.

The negative(s):
The aforementioned footprint is small because they are really crappy radiators (electrically speaking).

eta:
In short, the rubber duck is the derringer of the antenna world. If you want real firepower or usability at any real distance, go for the bigger guns.

Last edited:
Realtor Ma - Good stuff. You had been in and out but I could make it out. You said I sounded clear on your end? What are you using for an antenna? People are on the Waltham i'm going to hang it up for tonight for the B's.

I have a dual band yagi at about 65 feet. It has about 10db of gain.

Back
Top Bottom