• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Secure COMMS

What are you guys planning to use them for? Or just to play around with?

I'd fall in the latter category. I was thinking it would be fun to try and setup communication between my friend's house and mine. He's about 8 miles away as the crow flies. If I stashed them strategically I wonder how hard that would be to do. If they didn't have to be solar, they could be pretty small, just hanging in a tree or bush along the road.

That's what appealed to me about those birdhouse ones those guys were making. I don't think they ever got to production levels, but they shared all of the design data.
Strictly backup comms in my AO. Going to try and reach my bestie 4.1 miles to the west. I should have a radio up high enough at my house where it will cover the neighbors I care about as well.

These are good for finding high spots and LOS for these devices, (radios in general)

I have two of these inbound to test. AES256 encryption.

Sweet! Love HTs with USB charging. The only drawback is that at 5W, range is minimal w/o some amplification. But that’s quite possible.

Looking forward to your report.

Last edited:
Sweet! Love HTs with USB charging. The only drawback is that at 5W, range is minimal w/o some amplification. But that’s quite possible.

Looking forward to your report.
I just ran a quick power test on analog, it was reading 7.3-7.5w. I think they just put another firmware version out so I'm going to get it updated, get the the 256 is working and run a digital power test too.

The stock antenna is 1.1 swr at 148mhz, which I thought was surprising. I even re-calibrated my rig expert to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Last edited:
I just ran a quick power test on analog, it was reading 7.3-7.5w. I think they just put another firmware version out so I'm going to get it updated, get the the 256 is working and run a digital power test too.

The stock antenna is 1.1 swr at 148mhz, which I thought was surprising. I even re-calibrated my rig expert to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
Now, all you need is something worth encrypting to say! 😅

Back
Top Bottom