Family COMMS

This looks like what Julian recommends for his Surface Go tablet for his ham programs. Amazon product ASIN B086QRQVD5View: https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Microsoft-Surface-Go-Touch-Screen/dp/B086QRQVD5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=surface%2Bgo%2B2&qid=1671422619&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A23739462011%7C23739463011&rnid=23739459011&s=pc&sr=1-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5&th=1

For an all in one, it's hard to beat that price point. A raspberry pi 4, with case, sd card or ssd is more than the Surface he recommends. Microsoft Surface Go 2 FAQ | Ham Radio Laptop

It looks like only the LTE model of this tablet has built in GPS, so if you're not using an IC-705 you'll need GPS to sync time. He mentions it in the blog post.

Windows is a bitch, I figure for only using it to run a couple, three programs, I won't be updating the OS that often unless it forces me to.
I have wanted a Surface tablet for couch NESing for a while, and with our side conversations, I am going to end up needing one anyways. Thanks for dropping this link.

Last edited:
Wow - those are getting cheap! Having a keyboard, monitor and CPU in one piece of hardware is nice - juggling a RPi, Monitor & Keyboard while out-and-about gets annoying, although one can control with a remote tablet if you really have to have Linux. KM4ACK’s BAP is well developed and his 73LINUX to use on a laptop is still a work in progress. I really like the AutoConnect Winlink feature in BAP. Jason KM4ACK tweaked his shoulder (possible rotator cuff tear) so his work will probably take a pause until he gets fixed.

I suppose I can turn off WiFi on any Windows computer designated for FamilyCOMMS to prevent update nightmares. That’s what I’d do for the kids’ kits. If a useful app is upgraded with useful features I/they can turn WiFi back on as needed with a Win Update 7-day pause. Linux/RPi are more controllable wrt updates, so could stay WiFi on. I’ll put a remote VPN on their kits so I can do the work, if needed.

I wonder if a loading coil on a 133’ EFHW antenna will shorten it much? There’s a few discussion on various websites but if you ask in a forum, you get the “Read the ARRL Antenna Book, get a Masters in Electrical Engineering and then come back with questions” answers 🙄

While the Evolve Maestro III advantage is 12V charging, there’s a few other options too (miniPC below). It makes it all so easy if everything runs from the same 12V battery.

Amazon product ASIN B09373HTN7View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09373HTN7?&linkCode=sl1&tag=pjoleham-20&linkId=12c5e2c57af98129ed795f5cb2195ada&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
That was going to be my suggestion. ;) For the sake of argument, let's pretend there's someone in this thread with those credentials and carry on.

Example: a ham stick on 80m is about 8' long. That's a loading coil and a whip. It has a high Q, which means it's tuned (and resonant) with a very narrow bandwidth. If you move more than a few KHz (like +/- 20KHz or so), you need a tuner or to adjust the length of the whip. If you expect to use it on one frequency on 80m, then you don't care that it has very narrow bandwidth.

Simply put a loading coil allows you to lie to your transceiver about the length of the wire. It's electrically the same length, but not physically the same length. And if done correctly you can get them close to 50 ohms will little to no reactance (the imaginary portion of impedance that comes from induction and capacitance). The other tradeoff is that a coil is bulkier than 26 gauge stealth wire.

Another consideration for 80m (and NVIS) is that it tolerates zigs and zags. If you're doing NVIS, then have your 49:1 supported a few feet off the ground, run the wire to a bush, then a low tree branch, then a wooden fence post, and tie it off to another bush. It might even work laying on the ground. This guy deploys an 80m dipole on wooden stakes a few feet off the ground.

Fun anecdote I was listening to a QSO on 17m this summer. I decided I wanted to move the dipole to a different tree to get better reception from Europe. I went out and the whole thing was just laying on the ground. Still worked. No idea how it would work on Tx though.

Another fun anecdote: "ham sticks don't work". I bought a set of 5 bands and was tuning them all up. I have a mirror mount (for a tractor trailer) clamped to a rusty length of rebar jammed in the ground about that far, about 10' from the house. When I was done I put the 20m stick on, went in the house, and worked Europe no problem. No radials, no elevation, 57-59 reports.

Simply put a loading coil allows you to lie to your transceiver about the length of the wire. It's electrically the same length, but not physically the same length. And if done correctly you can get them close to 50 ohms will little to no reactance (the imaginary portion of impedance that comes from induction and capacitance). The other tradeoff is that a coil is bulkier than 26 gauge stealth wire.

Another consideration for 80m (and NVIS) is that it tolerates zigs and zags. If you're doing NVIS, then have your 49:1 supported a few feet off the ground, run the wire to a bush, then a low tree branch, then a wooden fence post, and tie it off to another bush. It might even work laying on the ground. This guy deploys an 80m dipole on wooden stakes a few feet off the ground.
I've seen videos of guys running them in a square along the top of their privacy fences.

This is what I am using for 80/40m at home. CHAMELEON ANTENNA EMCOMM-III-B CHAMELEON ANTENNA EMCOMM-III-B HF Base Antenna | DX Engineering 11' up straight line out.

I would like to find something a shorter if possible, just to save time deploying in the field when needed.

I was thinking about running an 80m OCFD along my back fence and just through the bushes on the side of the house. I've had squirrels chew my wires before, so that's a consideration.

For speed and small form factor, what about a ham stick dipole? If I had a store near me I'd get another 75m stick and one of the MFJ dipole dipole connectors. In the picture below you'd have one stick on the upper left corner, and one directly across from the SO-239. Shipping kills you on those sticks because they're long.

The gotcha with ham sticks is don't get the "Short" version. They're even shorter and people buy them accidentally and hate them.

MFJ-347_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I swear I'm not a ham stick salesman. They're just convenient for cramped locations. I've never made radials for mine but I hear that really improves them.

I was thinking about running an 80m OCFD along my back fence and just through the bushes on the side of the house. I've had squirrels chew my wires before, so that's a consideration.

For speed and small form factor, what about a ham stick dipole? If I had a store near me I'd get another 75m stick and one of the MFJ dipole dipole connectors. In the picture below you'd have one stick on the upper left corner, and one directly across from the SO-239. Shipping kills you on those sticks because they're long.

The gotcha with ham sticks is don't get the "Short" version. They're even shorter and people buy them accidentally and hate them.

MFJ-347_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I swear I'm not a ham stick salesman. They're just convenient for cramped locations. I've never made radials for mine but I hear that really improves them.
Kind of like a homemade Buddipole antenna! Vertical on a short mast, I've used 20m/40m loaded Ham Sticks to do digital with decent results.

That QDX 5W Transceiver kit shipped from US stock - must be Hans has a US shipping distributor now. It used to take a long time from Sweden for his kits. A lot of components are pre-install SMDs, it looks like a day’s work, mostly winding toroids. I’ll have to push aside the several half-built kits in progress (MastersComm DRA VARA-FM dongle for my KWD TM-D710G, several QRP-Guys & other antenna kits).

I’ll have fun building over the XMAS vacation! I’m retired as of July 2022 but still pretend I’m on PTO now and again 😜

This is what I am using for 80/40m at home. CHAMELEON ANTENNA EMCOMM-III-B CHAMELEON ANTENNA EMCOMM-III-B HF Base Antenna | DX Engineering 11' up straight line out.

I would like to find something a shorter if possible, just to save time deploying in the field when needed.

I have limited distance between trees and needed an end fed that could do 80 meters. Built this kit 10/(15)/20/40/80 ENDFED ANTENNA KIT 250 WATT INCLUDING 1:49 TRANSFORMER It's around 73' long and my 7300 easily tunes 6 thru 80 except for 60

The kit price drops when you put in a US shipping address since the VAT isn't collected. I had two kits delivered for around $144 US

I have limited distance between trees and needed an end fed that could do 80 meters. Built this kit 10/(15)/20/40/80 ENDFED ANTENNA KIT 250 WATT INCLUDING 1:49 TRANSFORMER It's around 73' long and my 7300 easily tunes 6 thru 80 except for 60

The kit price drops when you put in a US shipping address since the VAT isn't collected. I had two kits delivered for around $144 US
That looks like a kit form of the MyAntennas 8010 133' no-tune antenna with a loading coil to shorten it - and much cheaper. Without tuning, how does SWR on 20/40/80 look?

The Baofeng UV5Rs arrived today. They "unlocked" easily - TIDRADIO actually put a card with instructions in the box! CHIRP no longer works, so it's manual programming thereafter. But for the 2-dozen channels of interest, no worries.

I picked up a pair of Baofeng aftermarket kits for my eldest son and I to use while hiking. I’ll have a willing and able partner to practice comms. One person with a radio is not too useful…

View attachment 698411
Yow, those Baofeng UV5Rs are crappy! I programmed both for our local repeater net at 7pm (5mi away & 1000ft up from me, line of sight) and heard nothing. Thinking I programmed them wrong, I switched on the Radioddity GS-5B I’d recently bought and the net came in cloud and clear. When I picked up a UV5R again, I heard a sputtering of reception.

It turns out that if I press my thumb into the metal grate over the speaker to contact the bare metal, I can get poor reception. I swapped in another antenna and still no RX without the thumb trick. Maybe a counterpoise wire?

Yow, those Baofeng UV5Rs are crappy! I programmed both for our local repeater net at 7pm (5mi away & 1000ft up from me, line of sight) and heard nothing. Thinking I programmed them wrong, I switched on the Radioddity GS-5B I’d recently bought and the net came in cloud and clear. When I picked up a UV5R again, I heard a sputtering of reception.

It turns out that if I press my thumb into the metal grate over the speaker to contact the bare metal, I can get poor reception. I swapped in another antenna and still no RX without the thumb trick. Maybe a counterpoise wire?
Probably a bad run of radios but what do you want for 50 bucks (or less?) they're basically disposable. I forgot what it was at the time but there was one Chinese company that was basically making a sort of a premium baofeng.

I've posted this before, but here it is again for the Baofeng fanboys. I've never seen one in the wild let alone used one, but like many things in this life, you get what you pay for.

IMG_0668.jpeg

Probably a bad run of radios but what do you want for 50 bucks (or less?) they're basically disposable. I forgot what it was at the time but there was one Chinese company that was basically making a sort of a premium baofeng.

I’ll try adding a wire counterpoise. If that doesn’t help, Amazon will take them back.

I've posted this before, but here it is again for the Baofeng fanboys. I've never seen one in the wild let alone used one, but like many things in this life, you get what you pay for.

View attachment 700936

Yeah, those units are iffy - Chincom vendors often make a few runs of PCs, radios, etc., for FCC and UL to test for licensing, then leave out components on subsequent runs to save $$$. But I’m less concerned about FCC compliance and more about function. I won’t be causing huge QRM with a 5W handheld, or my QSOs will flog me…

Finally got around to trying VarAC and was able to communicate with Indianapolis (753 miles) on 80m with 10 watts and my Cha Comm Base III NVIS 11' off the ground. Communicated with another NES'er (65 miles) on the north shore.

1672177787067.png

Finally got around to trying VarAC and was able to communicate with Indianapolis (753 miles) on 80m with 10 watts and my Cha Comm Base III NVIS 11' off the ground. Communicated with another NES'er (65 miles) on the north shore.

View attachment 702770

What is the modulation type? is it some offshoot of PSK31 or FT8?

What is the modulation type? is it some offshoot of PSK31 or FT8?
Long video, but literally goes over everything. Its using the vara modem, which is think is based on OFDM modulation. They are updating the code and adding new features pretty often too.

Development

Poor reception or are you smooshing the speaker?

I have a terrible record programming repeaters into radios. No matter how simple the process, I always get something wrong. I recently found that a lot of repeaters don't use an output tone, so when I had them programmed with TSQ I wouldn't hear anything because there was no tone to open the squelch. I'd check on that if you can't hear a nearby repeater.

Got to Nebraska last night on 80m nvis

View attachment 702928
That's far for NVIS, although maybe at the outer limit of the donut. Have you had any voice QSOs?

An 80m element for my EFHW is on the list for my vacation. I somehow won the Southwest lottery yesterday and made it home from Florida, so I have a few days to play before I have to go back to work. I still need to build the RockMite kit I bought and fix the K6ARK spark plug antenna I botched up soldering, so I've got a full schedule.

I've only tried voice QSO twice, upstate NY and the north shore of MA. Not sure what my range for voice is yet.

That Nebraska vmail signal was weak and it still got through.

View attachment 702770
Good stuff. The VARA apps (HF, FM, AC) bust through on low watts. How wide are the wings on that Cha Comm Base III NVIS antenna? My yard barely holds a 80m loaded coil NVIS antenna and I have to take the bird feeders down to get it up.

I got my 4W Yaesu FT-65 working with a Digirig on Vara FM today to hit a Winlink repeater 13km away from a J-pole roleup dangling out my 2nd floor window to send a message. I’ll have to try it with the antenna on a fish pole mast to see if it’s a small portable option.

Good stuff. The VARA apps (HF, FM, AC) bust through on low watts. How wide are the wings on that Cha Comm Base III NVIS antenna? My yard barely holds a 80m loaded coil NVIS antenna and I have to take the bird feeders down to get it up.
I'm running mine from the side of the house up on 12' 2x4's out to the connex box on my range. Straight line 132'.

It seems like to the west, the Mississippi river is about my limit on 10watts NVIS. They weren't kidding about propagation over water, was able to connect to Ireland last night on 80m.

1672324278026.png

It seems like to the west, the Mississippi river is about my limit on 10watts NVIS. They weren't kidding about propagation over water, was able to connect to Ireland last night on 80m.

View attachment 703260
If that's to scale, it could almost be a few hops to get there. Or maybe your waves caught a ride in the jetstream [smile]. Are these through WSPR?

Man, I was "improving" my EFHW setup and in the process ripped it apart and broke some connections. I should have just built a second so I wouldn't be without. I already wound the second toroid; what a maroon.

If that's to scale, it could almost be a few hops to get there. Or maybe your waves caught a ride in the jetstream [smile]. Are these through WSPR?

Man, I was "improving" my EFHW setup and in the process ripped it apart and broke some connections. I should have just built a second so I wouldn't be without. I already wound the second toroid; what a maroon.
It was using VarAC on the VaraHF modem.

That sucks about the antenna.

The Tech Prepper is getting ready to test another Chameleon antenna.

Alright, the end fed is repaired. I mounted it inside of a little plastic case from Target. I bought a set of three for a travel container for a bar of soap, and had two left over. They're the perfect size, although a little brittle. And I could have spent a few more seconds marking the holes so the connector was straight, but it's good enough.

Now to make an 80m element

1672330346032.png

Short length of paracord on the lid for strain relief and for a tie off point to a tree/branch.

1672330424443.png

View attachment 703260

Very nice! As I understand, NVIS is desirable for “close-in” 80/40 QSOs. I see that there are 4-station NVIS tracking systems that can be used to radio locate even NVIS-bounced transmissions, so it’s not foolproof wrt COMSEC. HamCap and DX Atlas make a good propagation tool to assess reach with various antennas and power. My 8010 and 40/40 Endfed slopers leave major shadows around my QTH.

After success in a 2m Winlink VARA FAM connection/message from my Yaesu FT-65 on 4w using a rollup J-pole antenna, I tried a Smiley Antenna Triband telescopic whip indoors just for kicks this morning and connected/messaged on the first try. The radio was on my desk 10ft from a window facing the repeater. Depending on my kids’ locations relative to VARA FM repeaters, such simple systems might be a good unsecure 1st-line Family COMMS option.

<snip>

After success in a 2m Winlink VARA FAM connection/message from my Yaesu FT-65 on 4w using a rollup J-pole antenna, I tried a Smiley Antenna Triband telescopic whip indoors just for kicks this morning and connected/messaged on the first try. The radio was on my desk 10ft from a window facing the repeater. Depending on my kids’ locations relative to VARA FM repeaters, such simple systems might be a good unsecure 1st-line Family COMMS option.
Is that running the digirig? That sounds like a tidy, capable little setup you have.

Is that running the digirig? That sounds like a tidy, capable little setup you have.
Yep - Digirig. If the Mobilinkd3 TNC ever become available again, I’ll pick that up, but it been promises for a long time. Chip shortage and all…

It always amazes me when I can hook a CPU, a sound card/serial port bridge, a radio and antenna together, adjust software settings, and send receive messages on 100mW-5W all over the planet!

Back
Top Bottom