Simplex Comms

Last week Realtor Ma, Cockpitbob and I tried Simplex communications on 2m band. We had some success with Realtor Ma and Cockpit talking on the Simplex. I say if anyone is interested we can try to simplex and see who hits who. When all else fails we can use this forum or jump onto the Waltham repeater if not in use.

What do you all think?

Tentitive - Saturday 05/18 @9pm - 147.420

Last edited:
What are Simplex comms? (That wasn't covered in the tech-in-a-day program that I recall) Since I'm near Worcester with a Baofeng stock antenna, I'm guessing I can't hit the Waltham repeater.

If you post a time and frequency, I'll listen in.

What are Simplex comms? (That wasn't covered in the tech-in-a-day program that I recall) Since I'm near Worcester with a Baofeng stock antenna, I'm guessing I can't hit the Waltham repeater.

If you post a time and frequency, I'll listen in.

Simplex Communications is when you do not use a repeater and use line of sight and just the power of your radio and antenna to make a contact. I will post a Freq. once we get going on my original post.
I would recommend getting the cable for that radio and the CHIRP software for programming. You should enter in the Waltham freq. and PL and see if you can hit the repeater. Depending how high you are and line of sight you might hit it.

Simplex Communications is when you do not use a repeater and use line of sight and just the power of your radio and antenna to make a contact. I will post a Freq. once we get going on my original post.
I would recommend getting the cable for that radio and the CHIRP software for programming. You should enter in the Waltham freq. and PL and see if you can hit the repeater. Depending how high you are and line of sight you might hit it.

I've got the cable and software. I loaded up a bunch of repeaters. The "Paxton" repeater (Central Mass AMA) is the only one I've heard anything on so far.

I'm near the top of a good size hill. The Channel 27 antenna in about a mile from my house.

I've got the cable and software. I loaded up a bunch of repeaters. The "Paxton" repeater (Central Mass AMA) is the only one I've heard anything on so far.

I'm near the top of a good size hill. The Channel 27 antenna in about a mile from my house.

Try throwing out your call sign and "testing". Normally you will hear the repeater with a roger beep or the call sign.

Hi Bill,

With my squelch OFF I could barely make out your call but you couldn't hear me. I thew out a couple more calls for anyone but got no reply. I'm back to watching the game.

I've got a silly question. What does one discuss on these nets?

Newly minted ham here. (Today)

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Congrats on the ticket!

We discuss pretty much anything. Lots if times you'll hear people talk about the radios the have and antenna set ups. Mostly it's just a test of your equipment and range.

Any time between 5 and 10 PM.

I also hear the Belmont & Waltham 2m repeaters very well from my apartment in Belmont. Don't know about Ipswich; just programmed that in and will try monitoring tonight.

Any time between 5 and 10 PM.

I also hear the Belmont & Waltham 2m repeaters very well from my apartment in Belmont. Don't know about Ipswich; just programmed that in and will try monitoring tonight.

It would be a christmas miracle if you could hear Ipswich let alone get into it with your radio. Simplex to the ipswich area on 2M/440 won't happen either.

It would be a christmas miracle if you could hear Ipswich let alone get into it with your radio. Simplex to the ipswich area on 2M/440 won't happen either.

I'm actually not even sure where Ipswich is!

OH. Just googled it. That's up there... yeah, I guess not. All I knew is that it was north of me somewhere - never really explored the North Shore even though I've been up here in MA for 26 years.

Bought a 2 meter amp. Need to check it out. I have a pretty good 2 meter antenna. Last time we tried I could hear most everybody but they were having trouble hearing me. The amp should give me at least an s unit or two which will probably make the difference. I'll be home later tonight so maybe we can try at around 9 or 10

Everyone trying this needs to turn the squelch OFF. I normally have the squelch set to S-2 and no one but Realtor could break that squelch. With it off I was able to easily understand people with an S-1 signal.

Bought a 2 meter amp. Need to check it out. I have a pretty good 2 meter antenna. Last time we tried I could hear most everybody but they were having trouble hearing me. The amp should give me at least an s unit or two which will probably make the difference. I'll be home later tonight so maybe we can try at around 9 or 10

I can jump on tonight at 10. If not we can jump on Waltham if not in use. I got a new call sign as well.

Back
Top Bottom