Simple stock painting question

OK so my little girl was in the garage with me today and found my old battered abused marlin model 70 and fell in love. She said if was hers she would paint the stock lime green and the rest purple. (remember she is 9 and dont flame her! Flame me but not the kiddo!)

So I decided to just do a cheepo durakote spray kit on the action and metal. Paint the sights black. But now what about the stock? I really cant just spray it with Krylon.... Or can I?

Open to all sugg on this. I really just want her to have a 22 she likes. So has anyone just spraypainted a stock? and did ya clear it after...

Sand, prime and paint. Then just throw a coat of clear over it. I did a stock recently using Krylon and it seems to be holding up real good.

Nope the clear didn't make it run. Sand,prime and let dry for a day. Then spray your base colors and let dry for a day. Spray on clear and let dry for a couple days. I used a matte clear on mine.

I painted Man-child's BB gun (he didn't want the emblem covered) with rattle-can Krylon and a coat or three of clear.

P9291501.jpg

Did this the same way for myself.

P9291493.jpg

So the clear didnt make the finnish run?

Nope.

Andy,
You do nice work.

Hawk,
Whatever you do, paint the gun! I guarantee she'll tell your grandkids about that Marlin you painted green n purple for her.

just painted a few of my AR mags, used the krylon camo line, the black came out really good and dried pretty fast. just waiting for the OD green to come in so i can paint parts of my AR. nothing wrong with krylon.

Andy,
You do nice work.

Thank you.

Following someone else's recommendation, I practice a design on a short piece of 2" x 4" before painting the stock just to make sure the color scheme / pattern is to my liking.

side note, use krylon for the metal, eaier to remove and redo with the "right" shade of purple...
If the wood undernieth is decent I find the natural wood paired with cool vibrant colored steel to look better than painted metal and wood.

If the wood undernieth is decent I find the natural wood paired with cool vibrant colored steel to look better than painted metal and wood.
+1. I like wood. Though I have seen some stunning stocks where they varnished the whole thing, then masked and painted areas, leaving the rest of the wood to show. Looked great.

Well We are going tommorrow to pick up her paint for the stock. But I still feel that the use of Krylon on the barrell might just not be what I want to do. I have painted my AR in the past and it looked great.... Well only for about 3 weeks. But maybe I will just shoot it to see if she likes the color combo.

I used the self etching cromalite primer on most of my 22 project beaters. Krylon might not be the toughest stuff but if you prep well let it dry then hit it with a clear coat it should hold up very well. ARs tend to get beat up more than a nice little bolt gun. Bet you scratch it before your daughter does!

Back
Top Bottom