Silica Gel in gun safe?

I read in another thread that some of you guys use a bucket or pale of silica gel in your gun safes.My question is where do you buy that amount of it? I went to Home Depot today and they don't sell it.When I asked the employee,his response was "they don't make silicone in a GEL form...what a moron! Anyway I ended up getting a product called Damp-rid.It's similar to silica gel but does anyone know if this stuff is competent of collecting all moisture out of the safe atmospere?I've never seen silica gel in larger amounts than those dinky little pouches that they give you in a box when you buy something that can't get damp.Any help is greatly appreciated![grin]

In a bind you can save the ones you get from shoe boxes, or ask for them at a shoe store. I think once a month you remove them from the safe and micorwave them for 1 minute to remove the moisture they have absorbed.

You can get it craft stores and any place that sells Floral supplies. They use in dried flower arrangements.

I think once a month you remove them from the safe and micorwave them for 1 minute to remove the moisture they have absorbed.
I decided to go with the Golden Rod dehumidifier from MidwayUSA for my safes because of the upkeep of the silica packs as far as recharging them. I read on GT that you had to place the silica in a hot oven for 20 minutes to remove any moisture plus they cost almost as much as the Golden Rods.

I decided to go with the Golden Rod dehumidifier from MidwayUSA for my safes because of the upkeep of the silica packs as far as recharging them. I read on GT that you had to place the silica in a hot oven for 20 minutes to remove any moisture plus they cost almost as much as the Golden Rods.

I already ordered some silica but I'll def. have to look into that.Sounds good,Thank you![smile]

My basement runs a dehumidifier so the air is already very dry. The added use of a Silica Gel bucket just ensures lower moisture inside the safe. I've only had to "restore" it every 6 months. or so. (like I said, things are very dry in my basement)

Michaels carries it. Never gotten any so I don't know the price. YMMV
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fl0161

That is the exact stuff I bought years ago. I've forgotten the exact price. It was a fraction of the cost of the dessicant boxes sold to go in the safes. The stuff rests inside my safe, right below the golden rod, and also in each of my ammo cans. You'll need to put together a dust tight, but not air tight container to put it into. I used a plastic bowl with cover recycled from a hot&sour soup order. I punched holes in the top and stuck paper towel inside that to contain the dust.

My safe is in the basement and I have two dehumidifiers. I bought a silica canister from Midway(it has a color coded inicator on the cap). I used it for about a month and after having to recharge it in the oven 3-4 times in that period I decided to look for a better solution. I bought a large Goldenrod and I use this: http://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Frog-Emitter-Shield-P25C12.aspx I change it once a year and have had no rust for three years.

Back
Top Bottom