Sighting in an eotech.

btnh6668

NES Member
I have an Eotech 512. One of the main issues im having in sighting it in is that the dot's position changes depending on how im looking through it and if the riffle is slightly tilted or not. How do you guys typically zero something like that in?

like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6CyHtIUmME

Last edited:
I have an Eotech 512. One of the main issues im having in sighting it in is that the dot's position changes depending on how im looking through it and if the riffle is slightly tilted or not. How do you guys typically zero something like that in?

The dot will move in the screen depending on how you are looking at it, but it should remain on target. Get a consistent cheek weld and keep the dot centered in the glass.

The EOTech reticule is designed such that regardless of where the reticule is located in the window... Point Of Aim is always Point of Impact.

The thinking behind this is... in combat... due to extreme conditions, mud, snow, rain droplets, etc can cause blind spots on the window... only leaving certain parts of the window visible or clear of debris. So they wanted the shooter to be able to "move" the reticule over to the clear spot and still have the reticule be on target. Also, in combat, the shooter can find themselves in non-ideal shooting positions (urban prone) where they may not be able to get their eye perfectly behind the window of the sight... so the ability of the reticule to "move" in the window and have POA always be POI... it gives the shooter more "eye-relief" if you will.

As for zeroing the rifle... do it as you would with any other sight. It doesn't matter if the reticule moves in the window. It's designed to do that. So don't worry about it... and as long as the rounds are hitting where the 1MOA dot is aiming... you're zeroed.

What makes it seem like the dot is moving is if your looking at the front site too. If you lock the gun down you should be able to move your head but the dot should remain on target.

That is correct. So your saying i should zero it in with out lining it up with the front sight?

What makes it seem like the dot is moving is if your looking at the front site too. If you lock the gun down you should be able to move your head but the dot should remain on target.

Unless you have front and rear sights that are already sighted in, in which case you simple adjust the dot until it's in the same place as the iron sights. One of my ARs had the EOTech, irons, and laser mounted simultaneously, which made zeroing any one that I adjusted or removed extremely easy.

Unless you have front and rear sights that are already sighted in, in which case you simple adjust the dot until it's in the same place as the iron sights. One of my ARs had the EOTech, irons, and laser mounted simultaneously, which made zeroing any one that I adjusted or removed extremely easy.
If all goes well everything should be the same. I had installed the eotech and sited that in before I got the front site tool. Once I picked the tool up I adjusted the front site to align with the eotech and shot it with irons and all was well.

I guess im back to square one. Ill take it out again tomorrow and see if i make any progress.

fbird i did not buy it from that person.

Well, a holographic sight should not change its point of aim simply by looking at it differently, it should always remain aimed at the same point no matter what the angle. So i dont really know why yours seems to be doing this

The EOTech reticule is designed such that regardless of where the reticule is located in the window... Point Of Aim is always Point of Impact.

So you are saying that from 0 - infinity meters, once I mount an Eotech on a rifle, it becomes a death ray laser, always hitting where you put the dot, regardless of mechanical offset and zero distance?
The term you are looking for is parallax. Most red dot sights, both Eotech and Aimpoints are nearly parallax free. As a result, changes in your head position do not create a change in aiming point.

It looks like it is doing that because the reticle is a holographic projection at a focal distance of infinity. The front sight and wall are a lot closer than that. Think about it.

In effect your view is:

Head...Wall.......................................................Reticle

So there, move your head and it looks like the POA is changing depending on where your eye is. It isn't, it's just that you're way inside the sight's normal operating range. Try it on the range at 25M and you'll see it's not "moving around."

Quite simply, the dot should not move from whatever you have it superimposed on no matter what angle you are seeing the dot from.

Indeed. This confused me a bit when I first saw it, but like others have said, if you're moving your head, the dot appears to move in the same direction. It's actually still on the point of impact. Unless it's a fake sight.

EDIT: I just busted my EoTech out of it's MA approved-container, and it appears to move as described within about 2 yards. Past 3 or 4 yards, I'm seeing it as staying POA-POI.

EDIT: Removed the word "not" where is shouldn't have been.

Last edited:
They all do that on very close targets. Take it outside and try the same thing on a 50-100 yard target. the dot won't move off the target while it moves across the screen

Aren't the purpose of these sights for short to medium range targets? How would the military use something like that for cqb if it moves like that?

Indeed. This confused me a bit when I first saw it, but like others have said, if you're moving your head, the dot appears to move in the same direction. It's actually still on the point of impact. Unless it's a fake sight.

Not a fake.. according to the Eotech website mine has none of the characteristics of a fake one. I got the original packaging with book and serial# etc.

To quantify what I think you should be seeing, I'm getting about 5 mm of max parallax with my nose on the rear of the stock and a target at 5 yards. This is basically nothing. A one yard, I see around 2cm.

If you zero at 20 or 25 yards, you should be in the 0.01 cm range, I'd think.

Bob the issue is how can i sight it in when im not sure where the sight is suppose to be relative to what im aiming at. If my riffle is on a rest and i look into the sight its pointing at one part of the target. If i slightly move my head in either direction its now on a completely different part of the target or off the target all together. The video i posted on page 2 shows exactly what i mean.

What distance are you sighting in at? Is your head in the general ballpark of the cheek-weld?

Past a couple of yards and if you're in the general area of the sight, there really shouldn't be enough movement to open up a group.

Bob the issue is how can i sight it in when im not sure where the sight is suppose to be relative to what im aiming at. If my riffle is on a rest and i look into the sight its pointing at one part of the target. If i slightly move my head in either direction its now on a completely different part of the target or off the target all together. The video i posted on page 2 shows exactly what i mean.

The dot should be on the target. Place the dot on the target, fire your group and then adjust. the dot will APPEAR to be moving around. Don't worry about it. Put it on the target and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom