Sig SP2022: why doesn't everyone have one of these???

92G

So just acquired a Sig SP2022 in 9mm. Today was my first range trip. Holy smokes all I can say is this gun rocks.

I put 100 rounds of brass FMJ, then went ahead and pushed 300 rounds of steel cased Monarch and TulAmmo 115gr FMJ. Then i did the experiment of going back from steel to brass, and no issues whatsoever. Granted the gun is very new, but it seems to eat ammo like a beast.

In terms of "shootability", this gun is easy as it gets. With my anatomy, I find my sig P226, 229 and this SP2022 to point naturally for me. At 15 yards I was easily placing 4-6" groups and I am no James Bond with a handgun. Recoil on this gun is on par with my Glock 19 which is to say rather light recoiling. The only downside I could find with this SP2022 is that those of us in MA won't be able to find "pre-ban" 15rd mags. No doubt that does suck, but I cannot fault the gun for our retarded laws.

My woman shot it as well and she was observing failures of the slide to lock open, but this was caused by her thumbs contacting the slide lock. For me it was a non-issue. The trigger feels pretty good to me. Perhaps it breaks a little far back which could be an issue if wearing a glove but with bare hands no problem.

So I started this thread because I'm just kinda shocked by how awesome this gun is and how little discussion it gets. If you've never shot an SP2022, I suggest giving it a spin. Seems people drool over the P22x series which is understandable but man this little SP2022 needs some more love! Do you people have experience with the SP2022? Am I just a weirdo who happens to like weird guns?

what say you about the SP2022? (yes that rhymed which makes me just a little queer)

I've always felt the same, and also surprised it isn't talked up more than it is. My guess is because it's a polymer Sig, but like you said it has such a good balance to it and comes with anything you could ask for in a handgun for under $500 (I think I got mine for around $450 new). It's easily my favorite go to gun for HD, the light rail was also a nice feature to throw a streamlight on.

It is a nice firearm at an affordable price for a Sig with standard night sights. It is lighter than its close to equal in size, the all metal P229. It comes with two different grip sizes. The smaller grip is similar in size to the E2 series grip. The recoil in 9 mm is manageable.

Chill out dude. You will get bored in a couple months and move onto something else.

any actual experience with this firearm or just posting as another armchair elitist?
with regards to my join date, i recently moved to this hellhole known as MA.
if you want rank join the army. i'm just a civilian so "join date" don't meet $hit to me.

Why doesn't everyone have one of these?

I personally can't stand decocker's and DA/SA trigger pulls.... I find the DA trigger pull is long and heavy and the SA trigger pull is clunky. I also like a pistol that sits lower in my hand.

Frankly, if a LGS was giving 2022's away I would have a hard time finding the motivation to find the keys to the car to drive down and get one

I personally can't stand decocker's and DA/SA trigger pulls.... I find the DA trigger pull is long and heavy and the SA trigger pull is clunky. I also like a pistol that sits lower in my hand.

Frankly, if a LGS was giving 2022's away I would have a hard time finding the motivation to find the keys to the car to drive down and get one

This. And the 2022 is huge compared to most striker fired competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chill out dude. You will get bored in a couple months and move onto something else.

Iv had one for years and never got bored with with. Its dependable and lightweight plus its a nice carry gun even with the larger cap mag. Some complain about the trigger pull but again I've never had an issue. Ive dropped it in water mud etc while in the back woods and after a quick rinse its always on target. Enjoy the new Sig !

Sent from the blind

Join Date: Mar 2014 Chill out dude. You will get bored in a couple months and move onto something else.

Now that's a post to really be proud of. WTF does join date mean?

Guy likes his gun wants to share his experience, that's all.

A gentle reminder : Derek owns this forum, you don't, we are all his guests .

mark056 (join date 9/2005 whatever that means [rolleyes])

Lucky enough that a fellow NESer let me shoot his last week. Love the weight and natural point of aim. Did not like the trigger. It had a lot of "noise" and felt spongy, just not smooth like the p series handguns. I understand it's half price but for me it's worth spending the extra dough. Just my .02

I like my sp2022 a lot too. It gets a little jammy with crappy ammo other than that I have used it in IDPA mutliple times and I like it. I'd buy another one but not for carry, too bulky for me. I carry a sub compact 1911.

I'm not a real fan of DA / SA either but this is a good quality, at an affordable price ($425 new is not bad), range gun with all of the options available to you except the ability to carry greater than 10 rounds in Assachusetts.
Maybe someday a DAK kit will be made by a manufacturer to convert it to single action like its predecessors can be. While the kit is being installed, one would hope that a competent gunsmith could fine tune the trigger even more to one's liking.
The only downfall that I can see is that in this state, there aren't any preban lg. cap mags available to us. Once you move to NH, VT or South, the fifteen rounders are readily available. Besides, if you can't hit your target at least once with 10 rounds when the time comes, you most likely will be needing the Medical Examiner's van instead of rounds numbered 11 through 15. And yes, I'm well aware of the police stories, where the cop needs over twenty rounds or more to incapacitate the hopped up on drugs scumbag.

Last edited:
Preban 228 Mags can be modded to work.

From doing some mag comparisons, i think the best route would be a 92fs mag modded with a higher mag catch hole - similar to modifying a 92fs mag to fit a P226.

the mag catch hole on a SP2022 mag is right in between that of a P226 (which is higher) and 92fs (which is lower).

the other issue is the baseplate of the SP2022 which is rather unique so i think a modded 92fs mag will just hang out awkwardly.

"Why doesn't everyone have one of these???"

Because DA/SA sucks.

i completely understand if someone doesnt like DA/SA and so maybe it sucks for them. But clearly DA/SA doesnt categorically suck or else why would so much military (eg SEAL) and european LE pretty much use DA/SA exclusively? Personally i didnt like DA/SA for years but I see the appeal and it has grown on me. Also i find it somewhat fun to practice the DA -> SA transition at the range...gives things a twist.

From doing some mag comparisons, i think the best route would be a 92fs mag modded with a higher mag catch hole - similar to modifying a 92fs mag to fit a P226.

the mag catch hole on a SP2022 mag is right in between that of a P226 (which is higher) and 92fs (which is lower).

the other issue is the baseplate of the SP2022 which is rather unique so i think a modded 92fs mag will just hang out awkwardly.

It hangs out a bit but functions fine.

i completely understand if someone doesnt like DA/SA and so maybe it sucks for them. But clearly DA/SA doesnt categorically suck or else why would so much military (eg SEAL) and european LE pretty much use DA/SA exclusively?

For the vast majority of US .mil, pistol training ranges from negligible to non-existent. How much training pistol training do most US soldiers get? Is it more than 50 rounds?

European LE is not exactly well-trained either.

The enforced demise of the UK’s gun/weapon culture, engineered by paranoid politicians, has resulted in a never-ending epidemic of UDs among incompetently-trained British police:
A British newspaper has pointed out in a recent editorial that the “select few” British police officers who are actually armed, fire their weapons far more by accident than they ever have on purpose! UDs (even the few that are actually reported, because there are too many witnesses for them to be covered up) are rampant, and extremely embarrassing within all of the UK’s police services, particularly in light of arrogant, and manifestly dishonest, proclamations that “training” provided to officers is “the best available.”
The unhappy truth is, in the UK, the blind are leading the blind, as even the blind can plainly see!

Full text here: http://defense-training.com/dti/june-2008-quips/

Last edited:
For those that don't like the trigger wouldn't the better option be to buy this, get a trigger job and enjoy? Still would be less then going to a comparable firearm that's twice the money. Trigger jobs are what, $150 or so?

An SP2009 was almost my first gun. I could find nothing wrong with it, but the p229 had prebans available so it won out. I've never had an issues with DA/SA transitions, and so long as you train to fire first shot from DA no issues.

For the vast majority of US .mil, pistol training ranges from negligible to non-existent. How much training pistol training do most US soldiers get? Is it more than 50 rounds?

European LE is not exactly well-trained either.

So are you suggesting the DA/SA is somehow less safe than striker fire? That makes no sense whatsoever.

A sig has 2 safeties over the glock: both a hammer safety (along w firing bin safety) AND a slide rail safety to ensure in battery before striker can move forward. IMO i see no issue w a DA/SA gun being somehow less safe than a striker or SA only gun.

with regards to NDs, if someone has an ND w a DA trigger they are gonna have one w a stiker gun too. So i am sorry but im not following your logic on how any of this relates to the incompetence or undertraining of various LE/.mil agencies.

the DA/SA trigger is obviously somewhat of a learning curve. But homestly i would rather learn a DA/SA transition than have to disable a thumb safety....IMO the latter is more likely to cause a problem.

So are you suggesting the DA/SA is somehow less safe than striker fire? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Dude, really?

I never said, nor implied, that DA/SA is unsafe.

the DA/SA trigger is obviously somewhat of a learning curve. But homestly i would rather learn a DA/SA transition than have to disable a thumb safety....IMO the latter is more likely to cause a problem.

I can guarantee this -- it takes fewer repetitions to learn how to use a thumb safety properly than it does to manage the transition between DA/SA.

But for most folks, the best solution is simply a striker-fired gun, like a Glock, or a light DAO trigger.

Dude, really?

I never said, nor implied, that DA/SA is unsafe.

I can guarantee this -- it takes fewer repetitions to learn how to use a thumb safety properly than it does to manage the transition between DA/SA.

But for most folks, the best solution is simply a striker-fired gun, like a Glock, or a light DAO trigger.

Your earlier post was talking about NDs.
so would issuing striker guns cut down on NDs?
i guess i am not putting 2 and 2 together.

For those that don't like the trigger wouldn't the better option be to buy this, get a trigger job and enjoy? Still would be less then going to a comparable firearm that's twice the money. Trigger jobs are what, $150 or so?

Please tell me which trigger job gets the sp2022 down to 4 lbs , eliminates the DA pull and the decor and lowers the bore axis and maybe I'll be interested.... it seems to me, many mock the idea of the M&Ps that "need" a trigger job out of the box. I agree, the m&p's sucks but at least for my needs there fixable...

I don't see a single way the SP2022 could ever fit into how I like to shoot. Doesn't make it a bad pistol, just makes it one I don't need. I have also adopted the philosophy that it's better to have a few pistols that do exactly what I want ( at whatever price is required ) than a bunch of inexpensive pistols that don't do what I want.

Last edited:
Your earlier post was talking about NDs.
so would issuing striker guns cut down on NDs?
i guess i am not putting 2 and 2 together.

[rolleyes]

European police are poorly trained. NDs are just one very visible piece of evidence of that lack of training. If you want to base your selection of a handgun based on the choices made by agencies that very poorly train their officers, then by all means, do so. But don't imply that their choice of DA/SA means that it is "the best." It isn't. It has a lot of drawbacks.

If you really like DA/SA, then get a CZ and send it to Angus Hobdell. Now that is DA/SA done right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom