Sig P226 ported barrel for competition

What kind of competition are you planning on? A ported barrel will put you into Open division in USPSA. I don't think any ports are allowed in IDPA. A ported barrel doesn't give as much recoil reduction as a compensator.

A ported barrel is not a god idea for most forms of competition as it will take you out of the stock classes and place you in open. The comps used in the open guns are much more efective than ported barrel, so you will be at a distinct disadvantage. Open guns are also allowed to use optics which will place you at a further disadvantage. Leave the gun alone and stay in a stock class.

If it's a 9mm you're wasting your money. The P226 doesn't have a lot of recoil/flip to begin with. Money would be better spent getting into reloading and adjusting your loads to the power level necessary for the application. I'm guessing you're using this for steel plates or something, as most forms of competition either reclass you or prohibit you from using a compensator.

-Mike

I'm just doing action pistol shooting right now at ISC in Foxboro. I'm not really competing seriously for trophies or bragging rights. I'm just trying to learn and get more proficient. I don't really care whether I'm in the open division or not. It will be a long time before I'm a contender. And frankly, I like to tinker and experiment.

I'm shooting 40s&w, not 9mm. I'm just starting to reload.

One other thing: I think Santa will be bringing some nicer optics for me to try out.

Last edited:
Why not just run the gun bone stock and really LEARN to run the gun?

Drop all that stuff (optics, ports, etc) and shoot it like it was meant to be.

Why not just run the gun bone stock and really LEARN to run the gun?

Drop all that stuff (optics, ports, etc) and shoot it like it was meant to be.

That's what I've been doing for the past few months, but like I said, I like to tinker. I still plan to shoot Limited 10 sometimes, too, especially for those courses that require tactical reloads.

I'm going to go against the grain and for one reason. If you think it's it going to be fun to shoot, get it

I occasionally shoot a gun in open class that is not considered competitive, but its fun, its something different to shoot

Will the ports magically make the gun a lot easier to shoot? not really. Will it be fun to shoot? yes.

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the grain and for one reason. If you think it's it going to be fun to shoot, get it

I occasionally shoot a gun in open class that is not considered competitive, but its fun, its something different to shoot

Will the ports magically make the gun a lot easier to shoot? not really. Will it be fun to shoot? yes.

Thanks. You get what I'm trying to do. This is more about fun than anything else.

So, back to my original questions. Does it really matter whether it's 1, 2, or 3 ports?

Port number and size will depend on design and what load you are running. I would talk to the bar-sto folks and see what they recommend.

I run a barrel with 3 ports and one larger expansion chamber. I'm using either 231 or 7625 powder. I have to run a medium/fast powder inorder to get it to all burn since the barrel is very short. with a longer barrel, you can go with a slower burning powder to work the ports better.

Cheapo Chinese made red dot and cheap, plastic, Fobus-like rail.

Pass. Buy right and cry once.

In that case there is no buying right because there generally are no optic mounts for Sig P series pistols.... so you either have all or nothing. [grin] The only high quality stuff I've seen for sigs comes from the Mastershop in germany, and I think even then it's all for the X5/X6 based guns... and even
then, you're talking a boatload of dough.

The only semiautomatic handgun I consider using optics on is a 1911, due to the wide variety of mounts and so on you can get... otherwise, it's kind of a wash.

-Mike

That's what I've been doing for the past few months, but like I said, I like to tinker. I still plan to shoot Limited 10 sometimes, too, especially for those courses that require tactical reloads.

Limited 10 does not allow compensators.

Limited 10 does not allow compensators.

Yeah, I got that. Here's a possible setup

Limited 10: P226 + factory barrel + 10rd mags

Open: P226 + ported barrel + optics + extended mags*

Again, I really don't care what class I'm in. I'm not going for trophies. I'm going for fun.

*I have 20rd 9mm mags that feed 40 pretty well. They hold 14-15 rds of 40.

Back
Top Bottom