• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig mosquito's bad rep. sig and walther 22 report.

sorry if this is in the wrong topic. a friend and i own a Walther p22 and a Sig mosquito (threaded) I own the Sig he owns the Walther. We Ignored the forum posts about them both sucking. And we're glad. (cz cadet looked awesome but to pricey for a us)

The Walther out of the box wouldn't feed anything without a jam of some sort, not even mini mags. We cleaned it very well and polished the feed ramp. (that thing was rough as hell and had a bur - brand new as i recall) after that, it feeds Mini mags great and as long as the bulk ammo wasn't abnormally long,(like the federal stuff) it feeds well to. we're having trouble with finding out which sight we want on the front, but it is hitting where and what we want. hes shot probably 2000 rounds and its still shooting well. (((side note, he lost his sights for it, and Walther shipped him some replacement for free!! awesome CS!)))

The Sig, Out of the box. Cleaned the grease out, Polished the feed ramp before even thinking about shooting, then lubed it and went shooting. Mini mags shoot very well. Bulk remmy work well to, few FTEs here and there but well. thats with the "white" spring and medium sized front sight.... this guy is a little more accurate than the Walther. Mags are Expensive tho. hes had his longer so I've only shot about 800 rounds from mine, and again, its still shooting well.

My point anyway is that these guns are good for what they're for. you wont be winning any trophies but you'll have fun!! Yeah they might like the pricier ammo, and require twice the cleaning, but its been my experience that they aren't useless jammers.

I'll get bashed saying all this, but if your thinkin about getting one, do it! They aren't target guns, so don't expect them to be! and shouldn't really be compared to them. I'll admit the buck mark type guns are far more accurate.

Last edited:
First hundred rounds or so through my Sig Mosquito had a few FTF, but it has been virtually perfect ever since. It is a great gun for new shooters to learn. It is light with little recoil and a nice grip.

And I use CCI mini-mags high velocity. They seem to work without a hitch. I put some lower quality ammo in it by accident today and it jammed up immediately.

I think the early models had their share of problems, but Sig figured out what was wrong and fixed it up.

Cheers,

Rich

My mosquito shoots mini mags with no FTF. The only other ammo I have tried are the federal bulk, the federal arn't the best few FTF here and there but it works.

Great gun.

Yeah I'm not going to lie, the mosquito pretty hates almost everything but mini mags (40grn HV and HP) until 500-600 rounds have been shot.. and even with them now and again you'll get a FTF once and a while, mines been like 1 out of 100 if that. and it gets better with age.

rockn' gun, great for beginners, or for that gun to shoot after your out of the expensive stuff. My friend, the Walther owner, is picking up a Pink Mosquito for his other half because of the performance of mine,
(and we live in nh, hop and a skip to the Sig HQ if they break)

and what the crap, they need some hi cap mags for these, Look at the mag on these, you can fit soooooo many more.

I LOVE my mosquito. It eats mini-mags all day with absolutely no issues in any way. Golden Bullets have issues with both springs and Federal Bulk Pack with the light spring didn't work either.

Federal Auto Match + light spring = much cheaper goodness.

I get one that won't feed into the barrel every now and again, but that's my only issue.

i shot PSS' sig mosquito and that gun was so much fun to shoot! i had no issues with his at all. when i can afford to buy one i definitely will.

i'm throwing in a +1 for the mosquito along with the rest of you guys in this thread. it was a blast!

after trying both a ruger MKII and a Sig mosquito, the ruger was Definatly a more acurate weapon, but I like the sig better. It's alot more comfy in the hand and for a beginner/fun gun I would definatly choose it just as it feels/handles/operates the same as most the cary guns that you would use. I like tactics training and a great practice loadout for me would be the sig mosquito with a gsg-5 (still waiting on S&W to get out the MP 15-22!!!!)
I realy dont mind any easy malfunctions with a .22 as it's a practice gun, and practicing clearing a jam is a necessary evil [grin]

I realy dont mind any easy malfunctions with a .22 as it's a practice gun, and practicing clearing a jam is a necessary evil [grin]

[rofl][laugh2] Hahaha I can dig it!

another thing NOT addressed, and I blame myself for this.. THE TRIGGER

yes. it was very wierd at first. Felt like it had a 5 mile pull!! but i adapted quick to it, maybe one mag worth of ammo before I forgot about it. go back and forth between the Mosquito and my 1911 easy.

I <3 my Mosquito.

Only one or two FTFs using the CCI Mini-mag high velocity stuff with a few hundred rounds put down range.

I think I'm using the original recoil spring. Definitely recommended, especially if your every day carry or home defense unit is a full size P226 or a compact P229.

I lusted after a Mosquito but got a P22 because that was what could be had in mass at the time. The little Walther has eaten everything I've fed it and has not had a single FTF (a couple rounds with bad primers - just re-ran them through the gun and they lit off fine). That said, since I bought a Ruger Mk III, the P22 hasn't left the safe.

I used to have the Walther P22 - I put a bit of work into it, and it ended up a nice shooter in the end. Sold it to a friend of mine just because it was just too small for my paws, bought the Mosquito. The first 100 rounds of Minimag were rough, after that it smoothed right out, and now after 400 MiniMags it will run through Federal bulk with probably 1 FTF in 100 without spraying silicone on the ammo. I like it a lot, except for the lefty holster availability. It's never going to replace the Mk II or 22S, the Mosquito really serves a different purpose than those.

If I lost it, I'd buy another. [smile]

it will run through Federal bulk with probably 1 FTF in 100 without spraying silicone on the ammo.

I read something in the manual about lubing the ammo. I don't lube mine either, I think that would be retarded if ya had to, I'd probably hate the mosquito if that where the case.

Never shot the Mosquito, but I have a P-22 with the long barrel and "comp" on it. Now that I'm over the 1,000 round count through it (actually upwards of 4,000) it functions flawlessly. I usually start out with the Federal bulk and when the chamber and end of the muzzle get pretty filthy I switch to CCI Mini Mags. No FTEs or FTF in about the last 1,500 rounds. I also noticed that the trigger is getting smoother and smoother. The only issue I have now is the notch on the slide for the release has actually worn a bit and no longer locks back every time. Eventually I'll do something about it, but it's a good reminder for my boys to always check the chamber. Oh yeah, I clean it thoroughly after every range trip, and run it fairly wet.

I read something in the manual about lubing the ammo. I don't lube mine either, I think that would be retarded if ya had to, I'd probably hate the mosquito if that where the case.

I've tried it, and it's not bad - I did it by opening the Federal bulk pack, spray silicone lube for a second or so, close box and roll around to spread evenly. My Mosquito doesn't malfunction enough without the lubed ammo to make it worthwhile, and I'm still have (probably unfounded) concerns about oil contaminating the powder.

Plus, it annoys me when I get that crap on my hands, and then on my glasses, and then usually on the rim of my coffee mug. Silicone does nothing to improve the flavor of Dunkin Donuts finest!!

Lets slow down here! i'm only 21, i don't think i'm ready for ammo loaders... I think I'll stick to the oily hands.. hahaha..

I'll just have to buy a million mags (if i could find em') and load em' at home. it sucks that 35bucks is a deal on mosquito mags, my friend got some p22 ones for 15 bucks the other day.

I love my P22. Its not the most accurate 22LR I have ever shot, but its def fun to shoot. I have only tried Federal bulk ammo so far and have had a couple FTF but because of bad primers.

I just got back from shooting 200 rounds into a mini keg... probably the most fun i've had with .22 before. not one FTF or FTE or FFF, or any capitol F's at all. it was sweet. (ps. http://www.topgunsupply.com have their mosquito mags in stock as of right now. too bad they rape you on shipping)

Last edited:
I absolutely love my P22. I run it with CCI Mini-Mags and the combo results in a VERY enjoyable and inexpensive day at the range.

Back
Top Bottom