Sig 226 and M&P Caliber Choice

Sig 226 + M&P calibers - which combination?

• Sig 226 9mm + M&P 9mm

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Sig 226 9mm + M&P .40

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Sig 226 .40 + M&P .40

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sig 226 .40 + M&P 9mm

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
Ok, not all at once, but we have to think long term on this one...

Assume that one already has a 92FS and eventually will own a Sig 226, M&P?? and 1911.

So, arguments of "you need a .45 or you pee sitting down" need not apply. It's on the list, I'll get there eventually and it will be a 1911. Not a Glock, M&P or Sig in .45...

The question is what combination of caliber for the 226 and M&P?

9mm for the 226 has the benefit of hi-cap pre-ban mags which are out of the question with the M&P. I value the ability to carry lots of rounds very highly, particularly with a 9mm so I can answer that "you need a .45 or you pee sitting down issue" with "that's ok, I can fire 15+1 hollow point rounds from a sitting position just fine thanks".[wink]

As I understand it, .40 rules out pre-ban mags on the 226...

But hey, maybe I'll escape from MA eventually?

Anyway... So, see the poll, which combination of M&P and Sig would you do if you did both?

Anyway... So, see the poll, which combination of M&P and Sig would you do if you did both?

9mm for the P226. You can get 15, 17, and 20 round prebans for the P226.

For the M+P I wouldn't even bother with a 9mm or a .40 and just go to a .45
on that one. (The "native" cap of the M+P .45 is 10 rounds) I really have to
grit my teeth whenever I buy a gun that must use crippled magazines, so I try
to avoid it if I can.

-Mike

9mm for the P226. You can get 15, 17, and 20 round prebans for the P226.
Can't say I am excited to start a collection of another caliber right now, so the 9 has the benefit of what I already have... That said, I believe in diversity[wink]

dgrant said:
For the M+P I wouldn't even bother with a 9mm or a .40 and just go to a .45
I think I'd have a hard time doing that... The .45 M&P just feels like it has a glandular disorder to me... screws up the proportions of an otherwise comfy gun...

[laugh] glandular disorder?

anyway, i voted for the first option, if i had multi-option, i would have said both in "fotay" as well. M&P is makes a great plinker / alternate carry piece.

Get the P220 and M&P in 9mm?

I was able to shoot a P220 this past weekend and the gun just felt incredible. I've never handled the 226 but from my understanding they're by and large the same gun other than caliber. Having also handled a 228, I'm a fan of Sigs and the 220 was a great, accurate, and easy gun to shoot. 8+1 isn't bad for capacity, either.

Unless you're really stuck on the '6.

Last edited:
What Mike (Dr Grant said) with the possible exception that I might go with a P226 in 40 S&W simply because I am more partial to that caliber...but there is nothing wrong with the 9mm version provided you can get the pre-ban hi-cap magazines.

Mark056

Man, we think alike- I already have a 92fs and M&P .40, but really NEED a 1911 and Sig 226 or 229. I'm leaning towards a 229 in 9mm because it's cheaper to shoot, and is more abundant (obviously not in this current market, but let's hope that will change eventually). However, I voted for both of these full size pistols to be in .40, as eventually you might want something small like a subcompact for ccw.

I have the M&P 9 and I would say to go with the M&P .40 because it allows you to change the barrel if necessary and alternate between the 9 and .40, whereas if you buy the 9 you are stuck with only the 9mm. No comment on the P226, although my brother has the P229 in .40 and I love shooting it.

I say get the 226 in 9mm and then an M&P40 down the road with a stormlake 9mm conversion barrel. That way you keep the ammo the same with the 9mm barrel, but have your .40 for when you feel like changing it up. Personally I like the .40 as a defensive round (and no I will not debate why, I just do) but I want to shoot off 9mm and want to get a 92FS as well so I wanted the ability to have fun with 9mm at the range and save at least a few bucks for ammo. If you want to read my review of the 9mm conversion barrel, search for M&P conversion barrel or just go here http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66287&highlight=conversion+barrel

Best of luck

92FS 9mm: check

Now get a 229 in .40SW. This is a great combination. Ten round capacity, just a little smaller than the 226, and a versatile all purpose pistol.

As for your .45 choice, get the M&P in .45 full-size. No neutered mags, ten round capacity, and it makes a great home defense pistol with a laser/light combo.

Finally, get your 1911 (which will inevitably lead to more 1911s). Start with a full steel target model. Smith and Wesson makes a nice variety of excellent quality 1911s.

You also need a .22 handgun, a .22 rifle, an AR of some variety, a shotgun, a J-frame, and a .357 of some type.

Now get going. [grin]

Chris

During the course of this thread, I've pretty much settled on that approach to the M&P...

Though while at the store, I fondled the 45 (which I have fired) and I am coming around to it...

I am not sure where you are located, but if it is anywhere Dracut, MA I would gladly give you a first hand experience at how easy the 40-9mm conversion is and you can shoot my M&P 40 both ways before you make your final decision. The offer is there.

I am not sure where you are located, but if it is anywhere Dracut, MA I would gladly give you a first hand experience at how easy the 40-9mm conversion is and you can shoot my M&P 40 both ways before you make your final decision. The offer is there.
I appreciate the offer... (I'm in Concord and frequent HSC - where do you shoot?)

WRT to the M&P, I think my question has now changed from 9 vs 40 to 40+9 vs 45? (see prior post - don't see a reason to get a 9, might as well do the 40 and convert to the 9 if I want it or just fire/carry the 92 if I want 9).

I've fired the 9 and 45 and on the sig side a 9 and 40, so I have a good idea what to expect.

I shoot at Centralville Sportsmans Club in Dracut. Another member I met during a transaction offered to show me around HSC, but I have yet to check it out. I drive the 495 belt day in and day out for the most part.

In regards to the M&P45, I wish I could chime in, but I don't have experience with that particular model. I use my 1911 as my sole 45ACP at the moment, but hope to get around to handling an M&P45 in the future. If you are looking for more bang for your buck (no pun intended) I would go for the 40+9 because of the versatility of changing back and forth. As long as we are not debating a particular round and your liking to it, I just see the 40+9 as a better arrangement (2 guns in one). As far as I know there is no conversion from 45-40/9 on the M&P yet.

Back
Top Bottom